The New Canon EOS R6 firmware v1.3.0 has been pulled globally

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update: Canon has released firmware version 1.3.1, you can download it here.
A follower on Twitter has alerted me to the fact that the new Canon EOS R6 firmware version 1.3.0 is no longer available for download at Canon USA. I have also found this to be true of Canon UK, Canon Poland and Canon Australia. The firmware is still available on the Canon Australia website. I haven’t checked every site around the globe.

Update: A lot of Canon websites have also pulled any EOS R6 v1.3.0 firmware promotional material.
So what’s wrong with the latest firmware?

Holy...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
I heard when you record 4k60p or 50p in APS-C mode the camera will freeze or showing Err 70.
You won't be able to switch off the camera unless you remove the battery. And the screen will stay black after reinserting the battery (but you can enter the menu)
One of the solutions I heard is switching to photo mode, enter the menu and then reset all settings.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Lol, the ultimate cripple hammer.
"You don't want to pay an extra 1500 bucks for the R5?"
HAMMER. Clog 3 for you at a "later date"(read as after the Sony A7IV comes out).

HAMMER. No saving settings to SD.
HAMMER. No saving Video Functions to C1-3

**A light shines through the cloudy midday, growing brighter and brighter. The clouds then part and a Thor floats down holding a Mighty Hammer. The letters on the side written in blood. A crimson red. They read "Canon"

Suddenly the R6 you are holding in your hands is violently ripped from you. Thor looks at you, his eyes peering into your soul menacingly.

He raises his hammer, and brings it down swiftly, crushing your polycarbonate R6. Pieces of black plastic and magnesium alloy litter the ground. **

The last words your hear are "Canon sends their regards loser."

That is the story of the EOS R6 Firmware v1.3.0 release.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This is interesting - I was having issues similar to this with my R5 on firmware 1.2.
The camera slowly degraded in performance over time and ended up essentially bricked until I got a replacement (thankfully still under warranty).

Needless to say I kept it on 1.1 until 1.3 was released.
Can you go please go into more details about the issues you had with FW 1.2 on the R5? I only just installed 1.2 last week... and now I am thinking I should wait again before installing 1.3

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Can you go please go into more details about the issues you had with FW 1.2 on the R5? I only just installed 1.2 last week... and now I am thinking I should wait again before installing 1.3

Someone told me that a v1.3.2 version was coming for the R5, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
Sure thing!

It was an issue that compounded over the course of a few days.

If I remember correctly I had a video shoot on the Wednesday, and the camera began to freeze up intermittently.
Nothing of major detriment as it was resolved by turning the camera off and on again.

I was shooting again that Saturday, this is when it became a big issue. After recording (at best) 5 minutes of footage the camera would freeze, and stay frozen on the LCD until I removed the battery (off/on switch became useless to fix the issue). It would become responsive for a few seconds after this (generous) before returning to the same issue.

The following Sunday I was shooting photos for a venue. After taking several photos the issue returned and the camera became unusable, now accompanied by a repetitive clicking sound (almost like the shutter opening and closing repeatedly in burst mode) until I removed the battery.

As the camera was not functioning for much longer than a few seconds at a time I was unable to unload the firmware and roll back to 1.1.

I've had a look online for other instances of these issues but haven't found much which makes me think it was an isolated issue.

I'm really just more curious why the issue got progressively worse over the course of a few days rather than just happening all at once.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sure thing!

It was an issue that compounded over the course of a few days.

If I remember correctly I had a video shoot on the Wednesday, and the camera began to freeze up intermittently.
Nothing of major detriment as it was resolved by turning the camera off and on again.

I was shooting again that Saturday, this is when it became a big issue. After recording (at best) 5 minutes of footage the camera would freeze, and stay frozen on the LCD until I removed the battery (off/on switch became useless to fix the issue). It would become responsive for a few seconds after this (generous) before returning to the same issue.

The following Sunday I was shooting photos for a venue. After taking several photos the issue returned and the camera became unusable, now accompanied by a repetitive clicking sound (almost like the shutter opening and closing repeatedly in burst mode) until I removed the battery.

As the camera was not functioning for much longer than a few seconds at a time I was unable to unload the firmware and roll back to 1.1.

I've had a look online for other instances of these issues but haven't found much which makes me think it was an isolated issue.

I'm really just more curious why the issue got progressively worse over the course of a few days rather than just happening all at once.
Thanks very much for the details. That sounds like quite an extreme failure. I wonder if the firmware was to blame or if it was a horrible coincidence? Hopefully people with the R6 don’t run into camera failures because of this bug. Fingers crossed..

Upvote 0