Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I am not surprised the 100mm macro is being announced, but I would really prefer a longer macro in the 200mm range. While the 100mm macro is fine for studio work where you can control the background, the old 180mm macro was far superior to the outdoor nature photography I did and still use it today. Having a tripod collar, narrow angle of view, and more working distance made all the difference to better images that generated a huge amount of photo sales over the decades. So let's hear it for a longer macro lens!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Guess the R1 is around the corner.

As for focal lengths, I'm a little surprised Canon started with longer focal lengths. With high res sensors, its easy to crop 300mm to get 400mm framing. If the R1 will have 20MP, the photographer will have 11MP after crop, that's enough for A3. Going the other way isn't that easy.
Maybe they can make the RF 400mm F2.8 with the weight of an EF 300 F2.8. But price wise the 400mm is way more expensive.

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Wow, 100L macro - one of my most favorite lenses is coming to RF! Interesting, how it will excel the EF (besides native mount)? All (or almost all) RF lenses bring one or more improvement over the EF version. So I feel like a kid, waiting to see how Santa will surprise me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I am not surprised the 100mm macro is being announced, but I would really prefer a longer macro in the 200mm range. While the 100mm macro is fine for studio work where you can control the background, the old 180mm macro was far superior to the outdoor nature photography I did and still use it today. Having a tripod collar, narrow angle of view, and more working distance made all the difference to better images that generated a huge amount of photo sales over the decades. So let's hear it for a longer macro lens!
I love my 180mm L macro, surprised it still hasn't been refreshed. looking online it was introduced in 1996! talk about longevity .. would also like something like the MPE 65mm Macro? I love a lot of the output people get, but its a very old lens ... 1-5x Mag!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe they can make the RF 400mm F2.8 with the weight of an EF 300 F2.8. But price wise the 400mm is way more expensive.
The 400mm f/4 DO II is just under the weight of the 300/2.8 II so it would be remarkable if they could make a 400/2.8 that light.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0