RF 70-200 f/2.8 vignetting?

Seems Canon's new lenses have higher vignetting. The RF 15-35mm and EF 16-35mm f/2.8 mkIII have >4.5 stops of vigetting wide open on the wide end.

With today's sensors and post processing its less of a problem than it was, say, in film days, but still...

I'll compare my EF 16-35 f/2.8 III with my EF 15-35 today, never noticed it, but have image optimization in camera turned on.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Just remember that over at TDP they find the focusing distance where the vignetting is the absolute worst. Like it almost kept me from buying the RF50L with its ridiculous vignetting, but I learned it was at infinity and MUCH less at say 2-5 meters where I usually shoot.

I think the RF lenses in general have at least twice the darkening of corners relative to EF lenses, and it’s a bummer.

but, in normal conditions I shoot all lenses mostly wide open and it has not been a concern at all. Even at very high ISO’s ..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Just remember that over at TDP they find the focusing distance where the vignetting is the absolute worst. Like it almost kept me from buying the RF50L with its ridiculous vignetting, but I learned it was at infinity and MUCH less at say 2-5 meters where I usually shoot.
I didn't know vignetting depended on focusing distance. Learned something new today.

Still, in the case of ultra wide zoom, seems to me focusing to infinity is a reasonable scenario, in contrast to lenses used for portraits (normal to short tele).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I didn't know vignetting depended on focusing distance. Learned something new today.

Still, in the case of ultra wide zoom, seems to me focusing to infinity is a reasonable scenario, in contrast to lenses used for portraits (normal to short tele).
Absolutely , I had to try the 15-35 myself to see what it looked like, and it is quite severe if you compare a 2.8 shot to an f8 one , but it cleared up nicely without introducing too much noise. And although you shoot a 15-35 often at Infinity you also often shoot it stopped down to where the vignetting is a much smaller issue, if any. So mounted to the R5 and R6 with their great sensors this is a less problem than it would’ve been using the 1dx..

Upvote 0
Absolutely , I had to try the 15-35 myself to see what it looked like, and it is quite severe if you compare a 2.8 shot to an f8 one , but it cleared up nicely without introducing too much noise. And although you shoot a 15-35 often at Infinity you also often shoot it stopped down to where the vignetting is a much smaller issue, if any. So mounted to the R5 and R6 with their great sensors this is a less problem than it would’ve been using the 1dx..
That's exactly the results of todays shooting session. I had it @f/7.1 and focus distance far far away. No issue irl.

Upvote 0