Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has officially discontinued more EF lenses. Some of them are already discontinued, others will be discontinued sometime in 2021.
Below are the additions to the Recently Discontinued EF lens list that I am constantly updating.
Discontinued EF & EF-S Lenses:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Macro
Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro

Lenses to be discontinued sometime in 2021:

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II
Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM II
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM II

There seems to be some concern about the repairability of discontinued lenses. The information that I have received so far seems to show that the earliest these discontinued will be beyond their...

Continue reading...

This is great news. I am very happy to live in the discontinued EF universe. The lenses are going to be bargains as people dump them because? Well no real reason at all...
Exactly. I was fairly fortunate to start getting more into photography as the great RF migration began, so nearly all of my lenses were refurbs or gently used for half off. I can't believe the prices people are paying for the RFs new!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This is great news. I am very happy to live in the discontinued EF universe. The lenses are going to be bargains as people dump them because? Well no real reason at all...

Good point!

Not sure what I'd want to buy, though, even at a (hypothetical) fifty percent discount. I just haven't found myself in situations where a prime is what I want, even though I own a few. (With the prominent exception of my coin photography, for which my 100mm f2/8 (non L) is the Power Tool. From my cold, dead hands...)

Exactly. I was fairly fortunate to start getting more into photography as the great RF migration began, so nearly all of my lenses were refurbs or gently used for half off. I can't believe the prices people are paying for the RFs new!
I did pay full boat for the 15-35, but I got the 24-105 L cheap as a refurb (or alternatively, I got the RP it came with cheap). Those are the only two RF lenses I own. And given that I also have to fit EF-M cameras, I probably won't be buying any more for quite some time.

EF, on the other hand, would be an option the next time I have lens-type GAS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Good point!

Not sure what I'd want to buy, though, even at a (hypothetical) fifty percent discount. I just haven't found myself in situations where a prime is what I want, even though I own a few. (With the prominent exception of my coin photography, for which my 100mm f2/8 (non L) is the Power Tool. From my cold, dead hands...)
Oh I'll be spending my pennies on what I consider to be bargain EF lenses as more and more RF ones roll out. I'll get an EF 35mm f1.4 L, and if some work I am starting this weekend has promise I will be looking to get the EF 200-400 f4. Another photographer I greatly respect is using the 135 f2 a lot and they are cheap as chips anyway.

I do still plan to get an R5 but the lenses I'd want to use on it are my TS-E's and the macro anyway, so I don't plan on getting any dedicated RF lenses.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
The EOS system was "Dawn of an era" when it was released in 1987 - and is has been celebrated many times since. At 25 years anniversary , when they passed the 100 million and recently 150 million manufactured lenses, and many times before that.
Now we a facing an end of an era for the EF mount.
I do feel a bit sad, that there no place for the EF mount in the future except for a used market.
Wonder when they kill off EF / EF-S mount camera production? Probably within the next few years. Not many will buy into a dying system, even than that it will be in use many years from now. Glad I have my very first EOS 400D and my 5D still, good memory with those - and my still in use 6D, and quite new 5DmkIV.
I do also have my first SLR a AE-1P and a few FD lenses.
Now I am facing a shift in technology once more....
I will probably jump to RF not sooner, but later...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Or you are going to pay more second hand for the discontinued lens than it's new price (like the first gen 24-105mm f4 L).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mass lens discontinuations strike me as being premature. It shows contempt for their DSLR users.
What utter ridiculousness. They are going to look after us for at least 7 years from now, after that we have third party support. Canon are moving on, that is fine, you can choose to move on with them or live in the past, at this point I am content to live in the past but don't feel any bitterness or rejection from Canon at all.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Or you are going to pay more second hand for the discontinued lens than it's new price (like the first gen 24-105mm f4 L).
Why would I want a 24-105 f4? Wait and see what happens to the price of the superb TS-E 24 II when an overpriced TS-R 24 comes out. I can't wait!

• Haha
Upvote 0
End of an era with the EF 135mm f/2L finally being retired. April 1996 to April 2021 - a 25 year run as a 'current' lens in the lineup. Still works well on today's cameras, though I went for the Sigma 135mm f/1.8, which is one of the few lenses that can really show the 135L to be an old design. (Sigma 135mm is one of the top lenses I've ever used, out of hundreds).

• Sad
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
With this latest news Canon have really laid their cards on the table; not only will there never be a 5DV, it looks like there won’t be much of anything dslr.
I’ll be interested to see what Nikon do now. I’m too heavily invested in Canon to change and with all the EF bargains that will be coming there are too many goodies to look forward too, but even so it will be interesting to watch the market.

Upvote 0
Makes sense in a way to move all attention on to RF mount - hope we see a 24-70 F4 RF L IS Macro in RF and these 3 were my favourite EF Lenses 24-105 F4 L IS, 24-70 F4 Maco L IS and 70-200 F4 L IS.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Dare I say it?

EF is DOOMED.

I do wonder if moving forward with this was always the intention or if the pandemic accelerated things. Also curious that it's just EF and EF-S but no EF-M glass as of yet. Given how dark some see the fate of that line, I would have expected to see it on the chopping block too. Perhaps not dead yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Dare I say it?

EF is *******.

I do wonder if moving forward with this was always the intention or if the pandemic accelerated things.
When Canon decided we would all be better off with the EF mount customers had a choice to either go with them or leave. History would probably suggest that Canon made the right choice. Canon clearly think we are now better off with mirrorless, both in photographic terms and rewarding their shareholders, but this time we can at least continue to use our old EF lenses without any penalty. I always thought that the Rebel range would be chopped in favour of mirrorless as Canon made no attempt to improve the slr experience with these cameras, continuing to use the inferior pentamirror to the end. To be honest the slr experience with the higher end pentaprism cameras has become corrupted compered to what it used to be, without built in diopter adjustments, LCD overlays, AF arrays and translucent mirrors the view through my old manual focus film cameras such as the Nikon FM, Pentax ME/MX is so much clearer than anything we have today, and the medium format Pentax 6x7 is in another league again. But even so, after using the EVF cameras it is always refreshing for me to return to a DSLR.

EF-m is an interesting one given rumours of its demise because clearly EF-s is on its way out and I believe that camera manufacturers will struggle to sell the 'FF is best' message to many keen photographers who don't habitually shoot in very low light handheld or want razor thin dof. I was interesting to see that here in the UK in our prestigious 'Landscape Photographer of the Year' competition which attracts about 40,000 entries ( !! how DO you judge that ??), and has a £10,000 first prize, was won by a rather pleasing picture taken on a crop sensor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0