Here is the Canon EOS R3

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah I think a lot of people are missing that this is a leaked early development announcement rendering picture, I doubt Canon would change the grip material much unless they found a way to make it even more gripper or better for the user. I'm sure in person this camera will look just amazing.

I think bbasiaga is on the money here. Canon probably had to reevaluate how they would handle the 1Dx Mark III existing with the R3 at the same time.

I also think Canon can tell that the market is moving towards high-res, high-speed, and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera. I do think that means that the R3 will not be a hugely high-res blockbuster, but instead a tried and true camera built for speed. The most important thing for 1d users is reliability, so that might be the focus here.

I would guess that if and when the R1 comes out, the R1 would be a camera that totally breaks the mold in ways that current pros might be hesitant to jump into at first. That said, no one said the R3 can't be 45 megapixels. I expect 24 mp, but if 8k is just where we're at right now, 45 mp might soon be "normal" resolution, and then the R1 could be upwards of 80mp.

I hate to compare lineups, but I'd say the R3 name makes sense as an A9 competitor, and the eventual R1 could be more of a A1 competitor. I could be wrong, but I think Canon is very aware of the importance of the 1 series name.
You got it backwards or reversed. The 1dx series basically has no real competitors. One can count Sony cameras on one hand in any sporting venue. Mostly their broadcast cameras. Canon is the top dog when it comes to sports. And there's nothing remotely close.
This doesn't look like a believable rendering to me. Something about the R3 logo and the grip just seem off to me. If it is real, I would like to know the specifications and price to see if there is any role it could serve, as I'm looking to buy a second R5 body.
It would serve the same role as a 1dx3 minus a mirror with better AF. You already know that the 1dx mirrorless version is coming and have always been announced during an Olympic year. Do you purchase $7000 + cameras based only on rumors?

Upvote 0
That finally looks like a real camera unlike those tiny R5 and R6 models that can only be made bigger by a battery grip that does not align very well. If the 75 megapixels are true, the camera will not be for me though. I prefer something around 20 megapixels.
I'm the opposite - If it is a 75 or more pixel camera I'm in. But we are all different and that's why they make more than one!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Can't quite put my finger on it but someone has been clamoring on about an R3 for quite some time... Hmmmmm

The EOS 3 is and was one of Canon's finest bodies, perhaps this will be the stills champion?

btw, it's a rendering, don't get your panties in a bunch
Bring. Back. Eye. Control. Focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Will be very interesting to see how the R series line up expands.

Absolute guesses and not based on anything in specific, but I could see something like:
  • R1: eventual flagship high-res high-speed?
  • R2: high MP? Or avoided because of Star Wars?
  • R3: High speed gripped sports camera, low-medium resolution?
  • R4: probably skipped due to cultural issues with #4
  • R5: all around multiuse pro 5d replacement
  • R6: Lower res consumer-oriented R5, 6D replacement
  • R7: high speed crop camera? 7d replacement?
  • R8: EOS R mark II?
  • R10/R100: RP/rebel replacement?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA

Absolute guesses and not based on anything in specific, but I could see something like:
Interesting times. I think your proposed model range makes sense, but I'm guessing the R8 would be closer to an RP Mk II. We shall see!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's not nitpicking, though. I can't find a single source that doesn't say that the 3 replaced the 5. But feel free to enlighten us.
I'm enlightened by having decent reading comprehension. This wasn't a topic of replacement. It was a discussion, a segue really, of order. Does the 1D replace the 5D? Now you have achieved nirvana.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

If Canon keeps the same numbering scheme then I do not foresee a full-frame R8, R10 would be equivalent to the 90D, and the Rebels would start at R100.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm someone who's never had a camera with a vertical grip, whether designed in camera or as an add-on.
I always have an Arca-Swiss compatible plate on the bottom of my camera body (with a removable A.S. side "L" extension for portrait use), and wonder how you would have an Arca-Swiss ability added if there was an integrated grip on the bottom of the body? Wouldn't that just ruin the feel of the grip after rotating the camera since your right hand is now gripping the A.S. plate?

So, what you you folks use to mount your camera bodies with integrated grip to a tripod? Is it quick release?

Thanks for whatever info you have.

Upvote 0