Here is the Canon EOS R3

There has been much fervor about this on the 'net. "I just bought my 1DKMkIII and now an R1 is coming...Canon screwed me.' type stuff. As with anything on the internet, it certainly is possible its a vocal minority. But I also think Canon, like Sony, Apple and everyone else, likes to maintain a relatively predictable product cycle. And the 1DXmkIII would have been much shorter than standard. Its not about 'extending' the cycle, as much as it is about maintaining the cycle. You can count on a new iPhone model every year, but the first time they shorten it to 6 months, someone (or many someone's) may get ticked off. Certainly with the retirement of the EF mount, all bets may be off this time around.

-Brian
Some working professionals want reliability and stick to what has been tried and true over the years, many will stick with the 1dxIII and would be hard press to get the latest new camera on the market, The rumoured R1 won't fill those shoes just yet.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
I believe there is a market for a R5 specs. still photo camera in a pricerange between R6 and R5. But in a R1 integrated grip design?
It could also be that an R1 and R3 will be the even more rugged "high end" integrated grip-photojournalist equivalent of R5 and R6.
All guessing of course. But "3" was surely left out of "D" digital EOS series for not making a confusion 3D (tree dimension) name, as there was a "3" body in the analog EOS series

Upvote 0
I also think Canon can tell that the market is moving towards high-res, high-speed, and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera. I do think that means that the R3 will not be a hugely high-res blockbuster, but instead a tried and true camera built for speed.
I agree with you on this H Jones.

To my mind, a 'rubberised' grip and built in vertical grip suggest a sports/wildlife/photojournalist approach - rugged in the weather and designed to be used vertically just as easily. Less common to shoot landscape vertically (though I often do), so less need for the grip to be built in as opposed to optional?

My 2cents: this is Canon's sports tog's camera, allowing the "R1" to have different abilities, so it can sit atop of a nominal hierarchy which nowadays is determined by spec warriors - and so, to outbid Sony's A1, needs to be high Mpx, 8k etc.

So, the R1 can be the best spec of everything camera, while R3 allows sports photographers to get on with their job with what they want - rugged, and not necessarily the highest ever Mpx.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera...
I don't think Canon is going to be making many more cameras for non-existent professionals. I think they are going all in on enthusiasts, which is where the money and numbers are.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Some working professionals want reliability and stick to what has been tried and true over the years, many will stick with the 1dxIII and would be hard press to get the latest new camera on the market, The rumoured R1 won't fill those shoes just yet.
I think thats a bit overrated. Usualy you buy a new body, keep the old ones, get used to the new one. Once its fine, you buy a second one and sell the old cameras. That worked so far perfectly with every new generation of cameras for me. I think the transition from the 1D to an R1 will be just as easy as it was for me to switch vom 5D IV to R5 =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I believe there is a market for a R5 specs. still photo camera in a pricerange between R6 and R5. But in a R1 integrated grip design?
It could also be that an R1 and R3 will be the even more rugged "high end" integrated grip-photojournalist equivalent of R5 and R6.
All guessing of course. But "3" was surely left out of "D" digital EOS series for not making a confusion 3D (tree dimension) name, as there was a "3" body in the analog EOS series
If it would be a R5 in this new body I would buy it in an heartbeat. Bigger viewfinder, bigger display, better and bigger buttons, full size hdmi(!!!), bigger battery, and most important: heatpipe to get rid of overheat.
All of this would be EASILY possible in the bigger body :) I hope it is. If only some of these boxes check, I will switch at least one of my R5 bodies for an R3 =)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't see the point of two large heavy bodies R1 and R3
Even when travel resumes carry on luggage is getting very restrictive weight wise.
I see people saying its perfect ergnomically but for me its not good ergonomically at all.
Any long term handholding with those type of cameras causes issues.
The only advantage of that body type is space for a bigger battery.
The only way they will be able to distinguish them apart beside deliberately nobbling one of them is MP and Price.
I don't see the purpose of two similar cameras of that size.
It's a limited market, they'd be better off focusing on a class leading R1
I would see room for a high MP R5 size camera.
Canon should consider going medium formatt too with 3 or 4 lens especially for it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't see the point of two large heavy bodies R1 and R3
Even when travel resumes carry on luggage is getting very restrictive weight wise.
I see people saying its perfect ergnomically but for me its not good ergonomically at all.
Any long term handholding with those type of cameras causes issues.
The only advantage of that body type is space for a bigger battery.
The only way they will be able to distinguish them apart beside deliberately nobbling one of them is MP and Price.
I don't see the purpose of two similar cameras of that size.
It's a limited market, they'd be better off focusing on a class leading R1
I would see room for a high MP R5 size camera.
Canon should consider going medium formatt too with 3 or 4 lens especially for it.

I suppose it's possible they'll model the R1 and R3 like the R5 and R6: same or similar form factor and features, but the former is higher resolution.

Maybe sales of the R5 and R6 bear this out, strategically. However, if this is the case, I'd expect an R1 leak sooner rather than later, if Canon is going to debut another pair of cameras a la the R5 and R6.

Upvote 0
I am still hoping for the separation of the R1 line into two bodies similar to the old 1D and 1Ds alignment.

R1 would be sports/photojournalism workhorse and speed and focus monster.

R3 would be focused on studio and landscape work with high MP, decent speed, great battery life, larger screen, ability to work equally as well in landscape or portrait orientation.

R5 remains the allrounder.

There still might be room for a cropped sensor (R7?) and a video oriented R.

Just my personal hopes as I am waiting for the high MP R body.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
With grip included, it looks to me like a sports still camera.
I'd guess 30fps, crazy autofocus and ISO/noise features at around 25-30MP (or a bit more to allow various crop modes to get different shots without changing lens). And big battery of course to shoot a lot of frames.
The most reasonable explanation yet.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I don't think it will shoot 30fps as I don't think it will use a stacked sensor like the Sony or Nikon, if it sits under the R1.
Maybe it is indeed an 'unlocked' R5 for both photo and video, with a 20fps mechanical shutter like the 1DX III in Live View mode, since it uses the same battery, and it might not decrease at half charge like the R5/R6. Looking at how wide it is, the rear screen can be enlarged to 3.5 inches with a 16:9 aspect ratio to make better use of the unlocked video features.
And yes, it would match the A1 or 1DX III in terms of pricing, while the R1 would cost even more.

But maybe because it is a development announcement, the sensor won't be an existing one, who knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I don't think it will shoot 30fps as I don't think it will use a stacked sensor like the Sony or Nikon, if it sits under the R1.
A stacked sensor is not needed for 30fps.
R5 read speed is under 20ms.
A stacked sensor would be great for a sports action camera to minimize rolling shutter distortion.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A stacked sensor is not needed for 30fps.
R5 read speed is under 20ms.
A stacked sensor would be great for a sports action camera to minimize rolling shutter distortion.
Yes, but if 30fps would be the headline feature with a big asterisk sitting next to it (not only skewing, but also reducing dynamic range as well), then it wouldn't make much sense.
On the other hand, 20fps mechanical shutter is something that only Canon may offer (and it still offers benefits compared to any electronic shutter), so they can keep up for now even without a stacked sensor or a global shutter, one of which is supposedly developed for the R1.
So 20fps electronic and mechanical shutter is probably enough, if it surpasses the competition in other areas.

Maybe it is an evolution of the R5 sensor, where the pixels are rearranged to be compatible with Quad Pixel AF, so it would have a headline feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
For those of us that owned both the A2e and EOS 3 film bodies back in the 80's and 90's, this immediately begs the question, "Will this mirrorless R3 digital version have optional calibrated eye controlled focus???" Have been surprised for yrs that this popular feature was done away with after the demise of the EOS 3. I guess we will find out shortly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
For those of us that owned EOS 3 film bodies back in the 80's, this immediately begs the question, "Will this mirrorless 3 digital version have optional calibrated eye controlled focus???" Have been surprised for yrs that this popular feature was done away with after the demise of the EOS 3. I guess we will find out shortly.
Most likely it will have the smart controller at the back and it may retain the joystick as well, just like the 1DX III.

Upvote 0