Canon officially announces the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
So it does have a tripod collar after all! That makes me happier. On the other side, SA control seems to finally go to the downsides list for me. After seeing demos, I'm sure I won't use it. So for me it is an added price/weight/place to break. Also I suspect it will be easy to turn accidentally. But, any ways, a great lens, which brings many improvements over EF and priced reasonably. I will certainly upgrade.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Better examples of the SA control on the Canon Japan website: https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/your-eos/product/lens/rf100-f28/#sa-controling

The other interesting thing I spotted on here:
View attachment 196964

The tripod collar also comes with a piece you fit onto the lens barrel to attach the tripod collar to. Interesting.
$199, why are we not surprised? Any opinions on whether they should have included it with every lens for a $100 increase in price, versus having to charge $199 because fewer will be sold and there are stocking / packaging and other overheads that accrue when sold separately? Canon includes the tripod collars as standard gear with the telephoto L zooms, why not the macro?

Upvote 0
So it does have a tripod collar after all! That makes me happier. On the other side, SA control seems to finally go to the downsides list for me. After seeing demos, I'm sure I won't use it. So for me it is an added price/weight/place to break. Also I suspect it will be easy to turn accidentally. But, any ways, a great lens, which brings many improvements over EF and priced reasonably. I will certainly upgrade.
It has a lock to prevent accidentally turning the SA ring

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
As for the price, remember that everything is relative. It’s unfortunate that it may be out of reach for some who might want it, while for others, $1399 is a pittance. If it’s out of reach for you, buy it the old-fashioned way: save up until you have enough.

Upvote 0
$199, why are we not surprised? Any opinions on whether they should have included it with every lens for a $100 increase in price, versus having to charge $199 because fewer will be sold and there are stocking / packaging and other overheads that accrue when sold separately? Canon includes the tripod collars as standard gear with the telephoto L zooms, why not the macro?
I don't think it's as mandatory on a light weight lens as this. For specific user cases, yes, but I do think the majority of the users will use this without one. Even if they've shipped one within the package. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Better examples of the SA control on the Canon Japan website: https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/your-eos/product/lens/rf100-f28/#sa-controling

The other interesting thing I spotted on here:
View attachment 196964

The tripod collar also comes with a piece you fit onto the lens barrel to attach the tripod collar to. Interesting.
Anyone know whether or not it has a built-in flange for Canon macro flashes? The EF 100 and 180 macros do not, but the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens has a flange.

Upvote 0
Great news. Except for the price. That is tough.
1.549,00 € in Germany (incl. VAT)

Yes that will be really interesting.

And as I do a lot of handheld marco the better IS togehter with IBIS and the 1.4x mag would make me want to get it - if I went into R/RF ;)

I wish I lived (or at least could visit) Germany, for a couple of reasons, but this would be one of them <3

Upvote 0
Anyone know whether or not it has a built-in flange for Canon macro flashes? The EF 100 and 180 macros do not, but the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens has a flange.

Don't know, but this is listed as "Lens accessories" on the lens product page.

Upvote 0

Yes, it's expensive as ****
Like the lens cap to my 16-35 f/2.8 III that I lost in a hotel once. Its like around $130 in Sweden. :O

Upvote 0
As for the price, remember that everything is relative. It’s unfortunate that it may be out of reach for some who might want it, while for others, $1399 is a pittance. If it’s out of reach for you, buy it the old-fashioned way: save up until you have enough.
Or get the EF 100mm L. Great value and can be found relatively cheap used.

Upvote 0