Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I am excited about this R3. I like it when camera companies innovate. I look back on past cameras, like the waist-level cameras and cameras that shot square frames and I dream big. I want a camera that shoots native squares, using the absolute best part of the lenses.

I know that mirrorless cameras shoot a 1:1 square image when shot through a digital viewfinder, but does anyone else besides me have an interest in a BSI sensor that is for RF lenses but measures square, like a 30mm x 30mm sensor, something also high megapixel (60+) for cropping? With the RF mount, larger than 30mm x 30mm may be possible. I know I will never likely see this, but when I see innovation like the r3, I get inspired.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It sounds like you are describing an R5 with an integrated grip.
30 fps is a big step up from 20, the big 1 series battery is a major plus in itself for me too if it is backwards compatible. Better weather sealing, the 1DX III mouse style AF buttons, the eye controlled AF, etc, there are a lot of things Canon can put in an R3 to make it ‘above’ an R5 yet still have some key features left for the R1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The more I listen, I'm leaning for a late summer or perhaps, early fall public release. In the meantime, if we have an olympics venue this yr., I expect the R3 will be in the hands of some Olympic photojournalists for hands on beta testing and to provide Canon feedback on same. I hope that Canon will dangle a few more carrots about it, ie., megapixel capability, which storage cards, battery life, flippy screen?, pricing and more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My previous R1 spec guess was the following based on a combination of R5 and 1DXiii bits. The R3 could have the 1DXiii's mechanical shutter and better DPAF instead of QPAF but it would not be a huge jump between the two. What else could they add?
My guess for R1 is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Global shutter (no mechanical shutter). Rolling shutter artifacts significantly better than current electronic shutter
- Flash sync at any shutter speed
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off)
- QPAF in very low light
- 30fps electronic shutter burst with full tracking - perhaps with buffer ie not unlimited
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/cRAW/S-RAW) at full 30fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw lite internal recording to CFe card capacity
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes ie oversampled from full sensor width
- 29:59 recording limit
- Clog2/3
- Minimum 16fps using anti-flicker depending on frequency of the flicker lighting
- Pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates (at least 120fps). >0.5" in size
- Full sized HDMI 2.1 port (48G) or thunderbolt 3 USB-C or both
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. This one I am not sure on but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though
USD10k

Won't directly compete with cinema line due to form factor but there will be a similar specced cinema form factor with unlimited 8k raw option, heaps of buttons and vented/fan cooled. Cxxx option will be more expensive.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I don't think this will be a QP design, but you never know (it would be great if it was). It might be the high res version that had been rumored about (R5s), or come in at a reasonable 50MP (which would be great).

It may sound silly to all of you, but I'm wondering if it will have a fully articulating screen. It's one I've always insisted on. Having a wonderful R5, I'm in no hurry and can wait if needed for QP and an articulating screen. I wonder how long that will take?

But we will all see ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Given I shoot a lot of video, I’m not sure what to think of this offering. Canon didn’t go into the video specs at all. And there does not appear to be any microphone holes on the front of the body. All other Canon cameras have these holes. And since we know that iPhones are water resistant to 30’ we can safely assume this has nothing to do with weather sealing.
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter. That would have been awesome. Granted, it will have a stacked sensor, so readout speed should be acceptable. It’s just something I would have liked to see. I have a Red Komodo arriving on Friday and at this point I’m still struggling with weather I should keep it or sell it. While I like the image, it’s all so close anymore that things like AF, low light... become more relevant.
I think its save to say, that the video features will be as good as the R5.
Even without global shutter, with the promised fast readout speed, rolling shutter should be fine.
I guess it MAY have less MP as the R5 - so maybe only 6k or something in video. But I just cant belive that a higher specced camera will be worse in the video compartment. Just like the 1DX was always better than the 5D in the video features. Similar, but a bit better :)
Overheat shouldnt be a problem with the bigger grip - this alone makes this a nobrainer for me :) I also expect a better button layout and a bigger HDMI port (hopefuly full size). These are the main complaints for me, coming from the R5 for photo and video work.

Upvote 0
While I expect there will eventually be an R1 camera, I think at the time the R3 comes out it will be nothing short of a flagship-level camera. They may be reserving the R1 name for a global shutter or something like that, but for the time being, I think calling this R3 is primarily a marketing maneuver. The R3 will compete directly with the Sony A1, and Canon is sending a message that Sony's best competes with something less than Canon's best.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
It may sound silly to all of you, but I'm wondering if it will have a fully articulating screen. It's one I've always insisted on. Having a wonderful R5, I'm in no hurry and can wait if needed for QP and an articulating screen. I wonder how long that will take?

But we will all see ...
Definitely not a silly question... 1D users expect the best weather sealing and ruggedness/reliability. Would a R3 in 1D body have an articulating screen but a R1 not have one? All depends on whether Canon's build the quality.
If the screen is turned in then it is more rugged than a fixed screen. A tilt screen would be more rugged than an articulating screen but wouldn't make sense in portrait mode and the 1D form factor doesn't align with the shoot-from-the-hip street shooter

How it will fit is another issue. The 1DX III has the same 3.2-inch/. 2.1m dot screen but articulating.The R3's body is smaller than the 1DXiii so perhaps the jog wheel will be smaller to save space as the cards/screen can't reduce in size.

Personally the R5's screen is wonderfully useful. I am not sure that it feels rugged though. I am definitely careful with it when opened up.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think that all future pro sports cameras will have minimum resolution of at least 45mp. Processing power is now there for that kind of resolution at 20-30 fps.

In terms of the R1, what about a larger than FF sensor? Anyone know how big the imaging circle is on the RF lenses?
Processing power is just one part of the equation. Download and transfer speed can be the real bottleneck, especially as wireless transfers become more common and if you are shooting 16-20 fps. It's ironic that resolution keeps going up at a time when most professional photos (other than portraits and weddings) live entirely on the internet where 1100 pixels is on the large size.

Canon is not going to make an R body with a sensor larger than full frame. They aren't going to make a square sensor or a sensor in any aspect ratio other than the current 3 x 2.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Given that this camera is named the R3, and that Canon says it's somewhere between the R5 & the 1DX-III, it's safe to assume that an R1 would also be coming.

The R3 would probably have the specification of a 1D X-level camera, so what could an R1 add over that? Could it be that rumored global shutter?

Personally, I am excited to see these new development in sensor technology & imaging sensors trickle down to more affordable cameras. The R5/R6 Mark II would probably be a huge top-seller.

Upvote 0
Ah I said in a prior post I was hoping for QPAF and this would make it even more desirable. Finally x-type AF abilities in a non-Olympus camera. I had hoped the AI would finally address this but no such luck. Anyway hope it comes to fruition. I hope resolution isn't too high though, IMO 45-50MP is the sweet spot, any higher and then video becomes more problematic without crop or binning. I'd bee more than happy to see similar res as R5 and hopefully the stacked sensor can do at least 1/200s read speed. But will it have DRAm embedded on sensor?

Upvote 0
If it is next generation DPAF then it would be DPAF, not quad-pixel AF. The 'resolution trick' could be a lower resolution mode for 30 FPS (a lower FPS for full resolution mode).
Yeah no way will this do 30fps at say 80MP+. Even the A1 uses a slight crop for 30fps mode and it has embedded DRAM. I'm hoping the R3 around 50MP real resolution and has pixel shift for 200MP, but offers in-camera RAW processing to prudce 200MP RAW, and can also be processed in say LR or C1.

Upvote 0