Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I can’t see any reason why it can’t(stills) go the other way, video is just a compilation of stills. DGO tech should be a piece of cake in stills, IMO. Can you imagine a FF/DX body with DGO tech in it, Canon will probably have 3 modes of dynamic range selection; DR, +DR, wDR(wide). If this BSI stacked is any indication, Canon is not messing around.

Please forgive what I"m afraid is a stupid question, but....what does DGO stand for and what does it do?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Please forgive what I"m afraid is a stupid question, but....what does DGO stand for and what does it do?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

It is most effective at base ISO, afterward the effect is reduced, so not really suited to stills cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
DGO = Dual Gain Output. Essentially capturing the pixel with two ISO settings at the same time. One for the bright and one for the dark. This is then combined to one high dynamic range picture. Not the same as Dual Native ISO. Dual native ISO has two base ISO settings, high and low. But can only be one at the time. DGO are both at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
Dual Gain Output topic is around 4:26 - 6:16. Independent photo site takes highlights and shadows, then combines them into one, there by extending its dr on the sensor level.

Upvote 0

It is most effective at base ISO, afterward the effect is reduced, so not really suited to stills cameras.
That's not true, as we all know dynamic range is only at base ISO as claimed, but we still use a modern camera at higher ISO for stills so your point makes no sense.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The C-700DR with 4K 240 and 20+ stops of DR sounds like a a true beast. But I find it odd none of these cameras mention IAF or IBIS.

Should we assume that NAB will be virtual again this year?
Of course NAB will be virtual, you've not enough vaccinated people around the world to have a safe industry indoor event as of now.
Maybe next year. If the industry have an interest holding big expensive events now they've learned to successfully launch products online for cheap.

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
But I find it odd none of these cameras mention IAF or IBIS.
For a majority of working professionals(not all), these cinema cameras are usually on shoulder rigs, tripods, and large cranes and they pull their own focus, so I would assume that's the reason for the omission. But who knows? Canon could include it in future cinema cameras and it could be a welcome addition.

Upvote 0
These are great flagships and like many other industries, you need them so the tech filters down into other cameras however, I just can’t understand why Canon is ignoring the c100 level of users (potentially the rumoured c50)?!
For users who want a dedicated video option sub 5000 AUD; more like 4000 AUD would be great. The c70 at 8000+ AUD is just not justifiable for many of us.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
I am very disappointed with Canon. I was expecting 30+ stops of dynamic range, 20 ND filter settings, global shutter, and hexapixel autofocus (HPAF) in the size of a C70 body for $5,999. If you can't deliver 2030 specs in 2021, then I'm moving back over to a George Lawrence 8'x4.5' gigantic format camera that mounts on a gallows platform. At least with a Lawrence camera, I can get spectacular framing!
holdinglargest-800x578.jpgLARGECAM.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I am very disappointed with Canon. I was expecting 30+ stops of dynamic range, 20 ND filter settings, global shutter, and hexapixel autofocus (HPAF) in the size of a C70 body for $5,999. If you can't deliver 2030 specs in 2021, then I'm moving back over to a George Lawrence 8'x4.5' gigantic format camera that mounts on a gallows platform. At least with a Lawrence camera, I can get spectacular framing!
View attachment 197271View attachment 197272
I know this is in jest however, you can’t deny that the c100 mkii at 4500 AUD has been replaced? Sure it’s a great camera and I’ve loved using it but would you say the specs are future proof? Would you also say the C70 is its replacement when it is 4000 more here in AU.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
Superior AF tracking, without limiting AF to only a few EF-S lenses, plus true 4K resolution (not oversampled 1080p) and a high bit rate of data recording, plus a high dynamic range would make the C70 superior over the C100 Mark I or II. I am not crazy about investing in a C70 due to its flimsy articulating screen though. I see a lot of RMA warranty repairs for that LCD screen hinge being ripped off. The C100 Mark I screen was better in many regards for durability; though if Canon had implemented a Blackmagic 6k pro LCD screen design, with the option of flipping the screen completely up (as with the Tilta modification kit), then that would have been optimal!
Tilta LCD Modification Kit

Upvote 0