Venus Optics announces the Laowa RF 33mm f/0.95 (but it’s APS-C)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Anhui China, May 03 , 2021 – Venus Optics, the manufacturer specialized in making unique camera lenses, is proud to introduce the Laowa ‘Argus’ 33mm f/0.95 CF APO, a magnificent f/0.95 prime lens for APS-C cameras.
The ‘Argus’ name was originally from Greek mythology and was the name of a vigilant guardian with a hundred eyes and an “all-seeing” sight. The name represents the ultra-bright f/0.95 aperture of the lenses and the exceptional image quality they deliver.
The 35mm f/0.95 is the first released lens of the much anticipated Argus line. Featuring the ultra-fast f/0.95 aperture with APO design, the lens offers photographers and videographers a classic focal length for everyday shooting and the versatility to shoot at difficult lighting conditions. The lens delivers exception image quality at wide-open and suppresses the chromatic aberration to the minimal. Couple with the 35mm (1.15 feet) minimum focus distance, a buttery smooth and exquisite bokeh rendering can easily...

Continue reading...

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Why are these companies still pushing so many fast and interesting lens at the crop frame market?
From what I'm seeing, most every camera company is moving fully into full frame.

I wish they'd make some anamorphic lenses, that were affordable in FF like they keep doing for crop sensors.....for example.

I like the really, really fast lenses too...why not do this for FF ?

Of if you're doing it for crop or MFT....why not do a comparable priced FF one too?

Geez, I get excited a lot these days, reading about a new fast or specialty lens....and then I see it is APS-C........yet I rarely see any mentions in the news for APS-C cameras at all, with the exception of Fuji.

[/rant mode off]

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Why are these companies still pushing so many fast and interesting lens at the crop frame market?
From what I'm seeing, most every camera company is moving fully into full frame.

I wish they'd make some anamorphic lenses, that were affordable in FF like they keep doing for crop sensors.....for example.

Of if you're doing it for crop or MFT....why not do a comparable priced FF one too?

Geez, I get excited a lot these days, reading about a new fast or specialty lens....and then I see it is APS-C........yet I rarely see any mentions in the news for APS-C cameras at all, with the exception of Fuji.

[/rant mode off]

The crop lenses are undoubtedly easier and cheeper to make with less glass. A 33mm f/0.95 for full frame would require a lot more glass, perhaps speciality glass, and completely different tooling.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The crop lenses are undoubtedly easier and cheeper to make with less glass. A 33mm f/0.95 for full frame would require a lot more glass, perhaps speciality glass, and completely different tooling.
Exactly. I always get a kick out of all the Olympus and Panasonic users pumped for 1.0/ 0.95 lenses being announced for their systems. You got new 1.8 and 2.0 FF equivalent lenses. *Looks at my 7 year old $100 1.8 nifty fifty* Congrats? Lmao

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

[/rant mode off]
I would suspect Venus Optics would have done enough research on the prospective market before making this lens. I wish them the very best.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That lens would be great for when it is too dark for autofocus though manual focus during the day would be nearly impossible wide-open.
I bet they also make a cinema lens version that will be easier to manually focus.
That's what focus peaking is for....

Even with my bad eyesight, I'm surprising myself on how well I'm able to use manual focus lenses these days with the focus aids.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
That's what focus peaking is for....

Even with my bad eyesight, I'm surprising myself on how well I'm able to use manual focus lenses these days with the focus aids.
I've been doing really well with their 100mm f2.8 using the EOS R focus aids - but the f0.95 is still a bit scary hand-held! A 35mm is surely meant to be a walk-around, 'street' photography camera. But I'll look forward to reviews on usability.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0