Venus Optics announces the Laowa RF 33mm f/0.95 (but it’s APS-C)

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I wish they'd make some anamorphic lenses, that were affordable in FF like they keep doing for crop sensors.....for example.
For video? You could do homemade Cinemascope movies. Does anybody use anamorphic for stills? I guess that could save stitching panoramas.

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
For video? You could do homemade Cinemascope movies. Does anybody use anamorphic for stills? I guess that could save stitching panoramas.
Actually, I'd like them for shooting STILLS.

I'm a real freak for the panoramic aspect ratio.....without multiple shots and stitching.
:)

jvillain

EOS RP
Sep 29, 2018
I would suspect Venus Optics would have done enough research on the prospective market before making this lens. I wish them the very best.

This exactly. How much money has Sigma made off of the 18-35 1.8? Canon could have had a big slice of that but they always chose to treat their crop cameras as junk. Companies like this are filling the void. The video features aren't an accident. There are tons of S-35 video cameras this will work nicely with. People keep telling us we should be excited and grateful to pay 4X as much for a FF lens as a crop lens but I am not falling for it.

EOS 4 Life

EOS RP
Sep 20, 2020
There are tons of S-35 video cameras this will work nicely with. People keep telling us we should be excited and grateful to pay 4X as much for a FF lens as a crop lens but I am not falling for it.
I do not think you should be grateful at all.
I just do not think you should expect Canon to help another company make money off you while Canon is trying to sell you more expensive lenses.

Skux

EOS M6 Mark II
Feb 21, 2020
Why are these companies still pushing so many fast and interesting lens at the crop frame market?
From what I'm seeing, most every camera company is moving fully into full frame.
Because video exists (actual filmmaking, not YouTube content) and the Super 35 format dominates in that area.

Reactions: jvillain

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Why are these companies still pushing so many fast and interesting lens at the crop frame market?
First, how interesting is it? It has a 40 degree (side-to-side) field of view, just like a 50mm full-frame. It has a 37mm aperture, so the same bokeh as a 50/1.35 or so, basically 50/1.4. In fact this isn't that impressive a lens. Using the same technology and parts budget, they'd only be making a 50/1.4.

PiezoSwitch

EOS M50
Aug 22, 2019
That's what focus peaking is for....

Even with my bad eyesight, I'm surprising myself on how well I'm able to use manual focus lenses these days with the focus aids.
Yes, I love how useful it is at achieving critical focus. As times I feel as though I'm using a loupe adjusting the focus on the ground glass of a view camera.

Reactions: cayenne
<-- start Taboola -->