The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
If Canon wants to lure some existing or potential Nikon and Sony flagship users by undercutting the price, 500 dollar price difference won't make sense. This would be especially true if R3 is less than 40 MP (I think more likely). My speculation is that R5c will be around 5000 dollars, R3 will be 5500 dollars, and R1 will be 7000 dollars. Irrespective of the price tag R3 will likely outsell both A1 and Z9, provided MP count is not too low.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
But according the Canon the R5 is a replacement for the 5D IV, the R5 is $3,899, the 5D IV was $3,200 the majority of its life.
At first Canon said the R5 wasn't a 5D replacement.

According to a tech radar interview with Canon marketing rep David Parry last year, he said about the R5's name: "This isn't a replacement for the 5D Mark IV or anything like that. But this is a 5 series mirrorless, it's aimed at that segment of the market."

That was a head scratcher for me. So marketing folks may say one thing, but it always seemed that the R5 was destined to replace the 5D series.

For the same reason, I believe the R3 is a replacement for the 1Dx3, regardless of what marketing folks say.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I was hoping to see mid $5k. Anyways I will wait to see full specs and pricing as I held off on my R5 purchase.
I think that many of us were hoping, like you, for mid $5k pricing for the R3, noting that in Canon's own words, this body will fall in between the R5 and 1Dx iii. We can still hope, can we not? However, at $6 grand, this would kind of signal a 1Dx mirrorless replacement to me. If there is a summer Olympics, will be interesting to see just what kind of presence the R3 will actually have. No idea how many Canon ambassadors would be at any given Olympics. I still don't see the average pro sports photog jumping to mirrorless until the R3/R1 bodies have a proven performance track record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yikes, $5999 is higher than I would expect and means a future R1 will be over $7K, way dearer than the 1DXIII. I think $5499 should be the upper limit for R3 and a similar gap as from R5 to R1, so $6999.

Still if the R3 is at least 30MP, but hopefully 45-50MP I will be all over this anticipating the supposedly revolutionary RF 500 f/4 next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That makes zero sense. The A1 was the competitor to the R5.
Literally that is what makes no sense. Just becuase the R5 specs are in many similar they are not competitors. The A1 is directly attacking the DLR flagships from Canon and Nikon and is a much better camera than either despite the few issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Personally, I think the Sony a1 is overpriced to start.

Sometimes Canon say a new model sits below a particular existing model, but then spec and features of the newer model outweigh the model it is supposed to be sitting under.

The EOS R3 sounds awesome and putting the EOS R system into Pro Bodies will be a big nail in the coffin of Canon DSLR’s
Firmware specs or hardware specs? Hardware specs is what you should pay attention to. Because firmware specs can be improved with an update. As we've already seen with the R5 a few months ago and again later this year with the Atomos Ninva V + update. Expect another firmare update to enable the HDMI output. Examples of firmware specs & features.

Upvote 0
I think most of you are overthinking the flagship talk. Canon simply said the R3 isn't the flagship, THUS it can't be a 1DX III (a current flagship) replacement. As simple as that. You don't replace one flagship with a non-flagship. You just don't. That said, the R3 will 100%, without doubt, be heads and shoulders better than the 1DX III. You can bet the farm on that.
Yikes, $5999 is higher than I would expect and means a future R1 will be over $7K, way dearer than the 1DXIII. I think $5499 should be the upper limit for R3 and a similar gap as from R5 to R1, so $6999.

Still if the R3 is at least 30MP, but hopefully 45-50MP I will be all over this anticipating the supposedly revolutionary RF 500 f/4 next year.
Mr Majestyk, I would love for your prices to be accurate, but I don't think they will undercut by that much. I believe they purposely undercut Sony A9 series with the R5, and that's the type of price break I'm expecting on the A1/R3 relationship, bringing it in around $5699. I have a feeling we'll know by Wednesday evening.

Upvote 0
$6K in the US means 6K GBP in the UK plus at least the trio of the 2.8L lenses. I am pretty sure I can buy a brand new Toyota hatchback with that money.
A Toyota hatchback is a great investment if you plan to go all in on the RF mount since you probably will have to give up living in a house/apartment. I find hatchbacks to be really great for car camping.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I think most of you are overthinking the flagship talk. Canon simply said the R3 isn't the flagship, THUS it can't be a 1DX III (a current flagship) replacement. As simple as that. You don't replace one flagship with a non-flagship. You just don't. That said, the R3 will 100%, without doubt, be heads and shoulders better than the 1DX III. You can bet the farm on that.

Mr Majestyk, I would love for your prices to be accurate, but I don't think they will undercut by that much. I believe they purposely undercut Sony A9 series with the R5, and that's the type of price break I'm expecting on the A1/R3 relationship, bringing it in around $5699. I have a feeling we'll know by Wednesday evening.
I also believe that the R3 will replace the 1Dx3. It is just Canon's marketing that is suspect. They have said that the R3 will sit beneath the 1Dx3, but it should out spec it in most areas.

I can’t imagine anyone rushing out to buy the 1Dx3 right now with the R3 around the corner.

Upvote 0