The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

As long as Sony is selling their line at an acceptable clip, they won't tap out. What the heck is that supposed to mean anyway?

1. Companies never match each other feature for feature. They don't have to because the desires of consumers are not monolithic.

2. The company in the lead today isn't there perpetually, ever. There's always leapfrogging.

3. Personally, I am committed to Canon. I like the products. It is a fool's game for people to constantly worry that brand X or Y will surpass their chosen brand one way or another. Just shoot. Only complete fool's OR people with gobs of money switch systems everytime the "New Shiny" comes out.
When I mention "tapping out" its in reference to choosing to bow out of that particular model competition. If the A1 is likely to be matched up with the R3, what will they do to compete against Canon's flagship?

"Companies never match each other feature for feature"... I'm just gonna disagree with this one outright, because I can pull review after review matching feature after feature. Just no need to entertain it. I will give you a little credit for the fact every manufacturer wants a differentiation and will general try to achieve that through a patented feature set, but those always seem to get copied still. That said, I didn't mention this and I'm not sure the point being made.

I agree with the leapfrog comment, no one last on top forever, but that fact doesn't stop any company from trying. But again... I never said either was on top. If anything the A1 is the best camera on the market so that would be Sony anyway.

I think you are missing my point. I simply mentioned Sony is gonna have to make a lot of changes to the line up. While I do think Canon will win the short term war, that wasn't the point. The point was simply to say how much Canon's recent line choices will affect its competitors for years to come.

Upvote 0
I also believe that the R3 will replace the 1Dx3. It is just Canon's marketing that is suspect. They have said that the R3 will sit beneath the 1Dx3, but it should out spec it in most areas.

I can’t imagine anyone rushing out to buy the 1Dx3 right now with the R3 around the corner.
Well an R6 matches the 1DXIII for specs and often lesser cameras have better specs in many areas than the 1 series. I don't think R5 outspeccing 1DXIII means much, it was what was needed by Canon. You can bet your bottom dollar the Sony A7RV and Z7III/Z8 will be gunning for the R5.

I would not buy the 1DXIII period given how good the R6 is let alone the R5. R3 sounds like it will destroy the 1DXIII in most areas other than build as it will go a fair way beyond the R5 in AF, speed, sensor, EVF, eye controlled AF, buffer,, battery, build, possibly video if it goes for 8K resolution. Like I saiud before I can't possibly see what the R1 will offer to be much more desirable. not even global shutter given we already know how good stacked sensor is. Do we need 40fps?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Like I saiud before I can't possibly see what the R1 will offer to be much more desirable. not even global shutter given we already know how good stacked sensor is. Do we need 40fps?
There's probably a lot more people wanting 40 FPS than actually needing it.

What about flash sync at any speed though? That actually would be a big benefit to many.

Being able to use electronic shutter without any compromise on DR or distortion should also not be under estimated.

And I bet Canon have many ideas to improve other aspects with it as well, now that they can design more complex sensors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I'm a bird photographer....The resolution on the R5 is not to be trifled with....have they given R3 resolution yet? If it's not close to the R5 I'd probably just stick with the R5...
I shoot birds and am tempted by the R5 but I hope the R7 will be the ultimate birding camera with (I hope) :
- 30-35mp aps-c stacked cmos sensor
- R6 components and similar price
- R3 integrated grip

• Love
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Sony will need to revamp their line up soon
The Sony camera line is pretty arbitrary which makes a lot of business sense.
They can make whatever they think will sell and stop making whatever they think won't.
Their model names are arbitrary too so any model can be their flagship or entry level.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
"Companies never match each other feature for feature"... I'm just gonna disagree with this one outright, because I can pull review after review matching feature after feature. Just no need to entertain it. I will give you a little credit for the fact every manufacturer wants a differentiation and will general try to achieve that through a patented feature set, but those always seem to get copied still. That said, I didn't mention this and I'm not sure the point being made.
Um, a reviewer making comparisons between cameras IS NOT companies matching each other feature for feature. That is an independent (sometimes) person making (and sometimes forcing) their own comparison.

BTW: Can you name a patented "feature set"? Show me a patent for a set of features.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have an old Tag Heur, for me it isn't the cost of the battery it is the cost of the fitting. New seals and pressure testing make that $5 battery a $100 job that takes three days and two trips to my local big city an hour away.
In the case I mentioned, the 10 Euro cost did include battery, seals and pressure testing ,which is free for lifetime if the watch was bought from them. Battery replacement is usually done within a few hours, backcover-seal and pressure too.
What I really like about Canon, is the CPS. CPS is free in Europe, whether you're gold or platinum only depends on what you've bought from them. Leica: repairs take a few weeks (or longer!). If you want the camera back in a week, you'll have to pay an extra fee, about $90 per item...even if you send in a $13500 lens...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In the case I mentioned, the 10 Euro cost did include battery, seals and pressure testing ,which is free for lifetime if the watch was bought from them. Battery replacement is usually done within a few hours, backcover-seal and pressure too.
What I really like about Canon, is the CPS. CPS is free in Europe, whether you're gold or platinum only depends on what you've bought from them. Leica: repairs take a few weeks (or longer!). If you want the camera back in a week, you'll have to pay an extra fee, about $90 per item...even if you send in a $13500 lens...
Remember the days when all you had to do is lick a Timex watch and it kept going?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Literally that is what makes no sense. Just becuase the R5 specs are in many similar they are not competitors. The A1 is directly attacking the DLR flagships from Canon and Nikon and is a much better camera than either despite the few issues.
Did you switch from a 1DX series to the A1? I didn’t think so. Guess what, neither did I. And neither did anyone I know. So how exactly is this “directly attacking the DSLR flagships”?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Did you switch from a 1DX series to the A1? I didn’t think so. Guess what, neither did I. And neither did anyone I know. So how exactly is this “directly attacking the DSLR flagships”?
Playing Devil's advocate: Just because you didn't switch, he didn't, or anyone you know... doesn't mean nobody has or that they are not competitors. ;) Our personal worlds and orbiting friends tend to be much smaller than we think. I don't know anyone, nor have I met anyone, who owns a 1DX series camera.

Upvote 0
I’ve been thinking that the price would be just about between the R5 and the 1DxmkIII. Maybe $5,000. It doesn’t make sense that this would be $6,000. Canon has had a flagship at $6,000 before, which is why it doesn’t make sense to me. If they then come out with an R1, how much would that cost? What would the market bear these days? I believe Canon would be pushing their luck if it cost too much.

how much would anyone here pay for an R1, no matter how good it would be? Seriously? $7,000, $7,500, $8,000, more?

if the R3 were $6,000, how much would Canon NEED to charge for a flagship in order to differentiate between the two? $500, $1,000, more?

to me, the idea of this costing $6,000 causes problems.
I totally agree with you here 4999 seems more poise to take the market by storm.
by the time you add taxes and accessories and some pro glass they will more than compensate, believe it will really hurt the other brands.
just a thought

Upvote 0
Personally, I think the Sony a1 is overpriced to start.

Sometimes Canon say a new model sits below a particular existing model, but then spec and features of the newer model outweigh the model it is supposed to be sitting under.

The EOS R3 sounds awesome and putting the EOS R system into Pro Bodies will be a big nail in the coffin of Canon DSLR’s
I would agree with this. I noticed on the Canon Store website, a 1dx (refurbished) was still there after three weeks. Nobody wants to spend 5800.00 on old tech. Especially when they know the R3 is looming around the corner. I have to admit I was tempted in snagging it, but I factored in the lens and nah, I'll save up for the R3. I have a Sony A7s iii now, it's not ideal for wildlife, where I'm at I can get pretty close to whitetails and still achieve nice pictures.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Will an ETA for the R3 also be available in the next few days ? I was close to purchasing the R5 when the R3 announcement came out. As a bird and wildlife hobbyist photographer I feel I will benefit from the bump from 20fps to 30fps, and certainly benefit from longer battery life and a tougher body.

i hate to say it but if 20fps doesn’t get you what you want than 30fps won’t either.

Upvote 0