The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I think that many of us were hoping, like you, for mid $5k pricing for the R3, noting that in Canon's own words, this body will fall in between the R5 and 1Dx iii. We can still hope, can we not? However, at $6 grand, this would kind of signal a 1Dx mirrorless replacement to me. If there is a summer Olympics, will be interesting to see just what kind of presence the R3 will actually have. No idea how many Canon ambassadors would be at any given Olympics. I still don't see the average pro sports photog jumping to mirrorless until the R3/R1 bodies have a proven performance track record.
This is a link to Jeff Cable's YouTube Zoom call about his upcoming trip to shoot the Olympics as the team photographer for the USA Olympics Team who shoots water polo. He works closely with Canon and this was released before he was under an NDA so he was able to talk about the R3 and when he hopes to get it, etc. Worth a look from someone who knows!
Catherine

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Does a 15-35, 70-200, and 100-500 count as a trinity? If so, then I'm there as well. ;)

I've always have had tremendous resistance to 24-70 lenses, and have found that these three--plus primes--do the job for me.
You may find changing lenses more often (between 15-35 and 70-200). This had happened to me when I carried a 16-35 and 70-200 with one body.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
This is a link to Jeff Cable's YouTube Zoom call about his upcoming trip to shoot the Olympics as the team photographer for the USA Olympics Team who shoots water polo. He works closely with Canon and this was released before he was under an NDA so he was able to talk about the R3 and when he hopes to get it, etc. Worth a look from someone who knows!
Catherine
Great video giving us a potential peak into Jeff using an R3 at the upcoming summer Olympics. Thx for sharing the link. Found it very interesting the confidence Jeff has in using adapted EF glass, especially the EF70-200L ii and the EF200-400L lenses in his sports photography. His price estimate for the R3 was about $5500.00 and I do hope he's right.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I watched a bit of Jeff's video and was a bit surprised to hear that he predicted CFExpress and SD slot for memory cards. I would have expected dual CF Express, but I guess that Canon is reserving that for the future R1. I still expect that the R1 will be released at the Beijing Olympics in 2022 and not the Paris Olympics in 2024.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is one feaurette that interests me "Subject Tracking with Deep Learning"
the implications of this feature can be astounding and is also the reason I am holding out for the R3. animal eye-AF tracking on the R5 is really impressive, but put a doll in your frame and R5 will detect and track the doll's eye - to me this suggests that the R5 can classify and make a bounding box around an eye but does not know if it's a doll or a perched bird or a photo of a perched bird. I assume that with deep learning classification, a camera will start to bound the areas of the image beyond just the eye and the face and distinguish what is what between background and foreground objects. As a bird photographer I have long been frustrated with Canon's AF cases (1,2,3,4) - I can't tell you how many hours I have spent running controlled experiments of object speed, acceleration, direction and tweaking the sensitivity parameters but I haven't found consistency or repeatability, something I can use for sure in the field. So all in all, a camera that gets focus quickly (case 3), tracks it through obstacles (case 2) even as it changes direction and/or speed (case 4) on a vast array of subjects would be pretty swell indeed.

Upvote 0
I shoot birds and am tempted by the R5 but I hope the R7 will be the ultimate birding camera with (I hope) :
- 30-35mp aps-c stacked cmos sensor
- R6 components and similar price
- R3 integrated grip

I have a 7Dii, and I got the R5 for non-birding purposes, but just took it out on a few trips on a whim....haven't used the 7Dii since. I cannot wait for the R7...I'm so stoked on the technology in the R5 I can't even imagine how awesome the R7 is going to be for nature photographers.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Don't worry about the price. That's why God gave you two kidneys. Just sell one!

My problem is that I used up one for my R5 and now I'm thinking maybe I really don't need the other one either. :)

Dialysis costs fifty percent as much as the camera, so you reach the point of diminishing returns selling your last kidney.

The best tactic here is to sweet talk someone else into selling their spare kidney.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
You may find changing lenses more often (between 15-35 and 70-200). This had happened to me when I carried a 16-35 and 70-200 with one body
It hasn't been an issue for me because I usually do have a second body in tow. Unfortunately, that second body is currently a Sony. Hopefully, the introduction of the R3 will remedy that problem. ;)

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Time is money.... From our clients and from Canon when they sell us a camera.

My first 1DX cost $7,500 when I bought it at B&H in NYC.

Much time has passed as have the tweaks of the 1DX, DXII and DXIII.

An OVF and multiple big whites at $10K+ per lens has been the industry standard for Pro, Olympic, Extreme and College Sports.

As someone who has shot all of the above and manages 24 of some of the best sports photographers in the world, I know that Canon knows that our agency was not happy with the 1DXMKIII.

The R3 seems like a gimmick at this point to a professional sports photographer.

The market has been Canon's to lose and indeed Canon is losing it.

Canon has one saving grace... the R1.

If what we're hearing is true the R1 will be a true Sony, Nikon and even Fuji killer.

So we sit and wait... while Canon buys time.... My time, your time and the industry's time.

If the R1 is everything it should be the proposed 8K to 10K per copy will be well worth it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...My first 1DX cost $7,500 when I bought it at B&H in NYC.

Kind of surprised you paid $700 over retail when you bought the 1Dx.

"It was released in March 2012 with a suggested retail price of US$6,799.00 (body only)"

I know that Canon knows that our agency was not happy with the 1DXMKIII.

Yet, it hasn't affected their sales, profits or product development

The R3 seems like a gimmick at this point to a professional sports photographer.

Canon has said that the R3 will not be its flagship. But, I'm curious why you think it is a gimmick. I have doubts about how effective the eye autofocus might be for sports, although I can see that, depending on how it is implemented, it could be useful for some sports. For those where it isn't, I would just turn it off. Not going to hurt anything.

You always seem to overlook the fact that you represent a tiny, tiny portion of professional sports photographers. You may shoot professional sports, but there are a lot more of us professionals who shoot non-professional and non top level NCAA teams. Those who shoot high school and small college sports far outnumber you and I'd wager a bet that a great many will find the R3 to be the perfect camera, especially, if as you suggest, an R1 comes in at $8,000. Face it, Canon cares about total sales. Your team may warrant a little extra personal attention from Canon to make you feel valued, but for decisions that actually impact development, Canon is far more interested in the enthusiast and small market professionals, because they represent a much larger share of revenues.

You are right, Canon's share of the market is..oh wait...it's bigger than anyone else's.

If what we're hearing is true the R1 will be a true Sony, Nikon and even Fuji killer.

So we sit and wait... while Canon buys time.... My time, your time and the industry's time.

If the R1 is everything it should be the proposed 8K to 10K per copy will be well worth it.

Why do I get the feeling that if and when an R1 is finally announced, you will declare that it is worthless?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Kind of surprised you paid $700 over retail when you bought the 1Dx.
$6,799 + 8.875% sales tax = $7,402, throw in a CFast card, taxi, and slice of pizza, maybe? But as GoldMember is a pro he shouldn't have paid the sales tax just given his tax exempt number. Who knows?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
$6,799 + 8.875% sales tax = $7,402, throw in a CFast card, taxi, and slice of pizza, maybe? But as GoldMember is a pro he shouldn't have paid the sales tax just given his tax exempt number. Who knows?
"Goldmember" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Oh behave, baby! Yeah!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0
You may find changing lenses more often (between 15-35 and 70-200). This had happened to me when I carried a 16-35 and 70-200 with one body.
If I am carrying 1 lens => 24-105mm. 2 lenses = 16-35mm + 70-200mm or 16-35mm + 100-500mm
The R5's resolution means that I can get away with cropping from 70mm or 100mm down to 35-50mm focal range without too many dramas. If I was using the R6 then it would be more of an issue.
Landscape/seascape is perfect with a 16-35mm + 100-500mm in case of unexpected wildlife.
All the others are specialty for me: 8-15mm (astro and underwater), 14mm (astro), 100mm (macro and portraits), 70-200mm (portrait and indoor event/sports)

Upvote 0
Does a 15-35, 70-200, and 100-500 count as a trinity? If so, then I'm there as well. ;)

I've always have had tremendous resistance to 24-70 lenses, and have found that these three--plus primes--do the job for me.
Agree. The 24-70 f2.8 (Tamron EF in my case) is one of the least used lenses I own. The 70-200f2.8 is used all the time for action, wildlife and pets. My collection regulary used is the universal focal length trinity: EF11-24f4L RF24-105f4L EF100-400f5.6-6.3L. (plus 70-200f2.8 and primes RF50f1.2 and EF85f1.2 and f1.4).

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

An OVF and multiple big whites at $10K+ per lens has been the industry standard for Pro, Olympic, Extreme and College Sports.

As someone who has shot all of the above and manages 24 of some of the best sports photographers in the world, I know that Canon knows that our agency was not happy with the 1DXMKIII.

You don't specify why you believe the R3 is a gimmick. Perhaps the eye control AF? I am inclined to wait for the official announcement with all the specs, and an independent review of the camera before writing it off.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

WHOAH! A Canon is doooomed post! I haven't seen one of those in like 8 months! Really brings back some 2020 nostalgia for me

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0