Canon EOS R3 Mark II planned for 2025

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
When the Canon EOS R3 was announced, it came as a bit of a surprise. It was Canon’s first foray into a “professional” camera body for sports shooters, photojournalists and the like. Canon was adamant that the EOS R3 was not their flagship, and that would be coming in the EOS R1, which is scheduled

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Has implications, not only for the R3 line, but also for the specifications of the forthcoming R1. Is Canon is going back to the old 1D/1Ds type arrangement?
I hope not. What the 5D3 did to the 1DS line should serve as a lesson. Nikon had the same issue with the D3X.

Correction: 5D2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I would see the split more along the lines of Sony A1 and A9. A camera, at least targeted, at doing everything well (Higher MP, FPS, AF, etc) vs one optimized for something specific, like sports, lower MP, higher FPS, maybe a global shutter...etc.

To me, this is good news as it allows the R1 to be a more reasonable top end camera while not having to add bells and whistles to keep up with others spec sheets.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Has implications, not only for the R3 line, but also for the specifications of the forthcoming R1. Is Canon is going back to the old 1D/1Ds type arrangement?
I never assumed that they wouldn't.
R5/R6, R7/R10, it would fit the pattern.
The difference is that the R3 almost replaces the 1DX by itself.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I hope not. What the 5D3 did to the 1DS line should serve as a lesson. Nikon had the same issue with the D3X.

Correction: 5D2
Nikon has the same issue with the Z 8.
I do not expect the R5 II to have a stacked sensor unless the R1 has a global shutter.
I do not see a slower stacked sensor to be enough of a differentiator even though it probably should be.

Upvote 0