The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Pinning down Canon’s roadmap for camera bodies is usually a fools errand, but every now and then we make some progress. 2024 will focus on the prosumer and professional level cameras in Canon’s line-up and that will include the long awaited Canon EOS R1. The Canon EOS R1 will be come “well before” the Canon

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
But reading this,

Canon should be looking to jump on and improve upon the sony a9iii limitations and blow them out of the water, by having Global Shutter at NO expense to image quality, but this will be a missed opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Putting the latest rumors together we will receive a R1 with...

- no global shutter
- no 8k
- less than 45 MP

Honestly, that just doesn't sound right. If these three specs are true, it won´t be competing with the a1 (certainly not the A1mkii once it hits the shelves) or the a9mkiii.

IF it has GS, than no 8k and less than 45 MP is ok. If it has no GS, there should be a stacked 50 MP sensor imho. Otherwise, just use the R3 or R5 (not stacked of course)

Furthermore, it kind of sounds like the R3...

Something is definitely not right with these rumors...

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Looks like a Q1 announcement and a Q2 shipping date.

Digicame Info is reporting trusted sources suggest that the EOS R1 will debut prior to the EOS R5 Mark II's unveiling. Described by insiders as "a pinnacle of technology," the EOS R1 is reportedly crafted entirely from new components, eschewing any existing parts. Canon is reportedly preparing an extensive promotional push for the EOS R1 in this quarter, aiming for a Q2 release.

Other Canon cameras already push 40 fps so I anticipate that the R1 could very likely be that fast or faster with a deep buffer and a stacked sensor. The current rumors suggests a resolution between 24 MP (R3) and the 45 MP (R5). Maybe Canon will aim for a 33 MP sensor that does 7K RAW video?

We should hear more by CP+ at the end of February.

Upvote 0

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
Described by insiders as "a pinnacle of technology," the EOS R1 is reportedly crafted entirely from new components, eschewing any existing parts.
That sounds like hyperbole, and is almost certainly not true. Anyone familiar with product development (in any field) knows that using entirely new components is a recipe for disaster, in terms of timeline, reliability, unforeseen issues, cost, etc. It's also why as a consumer you never buy a first gen product.

Highly unlikely Canon would do that for what is targeted to be their top workhorse professional camera. That thing needs to just work.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Correct me if I’m wrong , but when a company says they are developing something , it means that is being developed , that it will take time to create it before it hits the market. It’s a product not yet produced.
But all this camera and lens companies , they now want to say: hey we are developing something . And in a week the product is released. I find that very very silly.
Just say : hey I have this product and will be available on this date once we finish few things. Am I wrong ?

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Would seem strange to me to be less than 45MP and not 8K. Sure 8K is not popular but it might. More FPS becomes meaningless at some point. It would have to be amazing at focusing for action. Sounds like an R3II to be honest. Very hard to make a flagship these days. I have the 1DXIII. It never felt like a flagship.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Putting the latest rumors together we will receive a R1 with...

- no global shutter
- no 8k
- less than 45 MP

Honestly, that just doesn't sound right. If these three specs are true, it won´t be competing with the a1 (certainly not the A1mkii once it hits the shelves) or the a9mkiii.

IF it has GS, than no 8k and less than 45 MP is ok. If it has no GS, there should be a stacked 50 MP sensor imho. Otherwise, just use the R3 or R5 (not stacked of course)

Furthermore, it kind of sounds like the R3...

Something is definitely not right with these rumors...
I’m also skeptical about what rumors are being shared here on the R1, as they’ve truly been all over the place and at times contradictory. I suppose it’s just part of the development process for a new camera body, as it goes through various stages of its maturity. There is a lot riding on the R1 for Canon and I just hope it’s the Goldilocks camera many of us have been waiting for. I eagerly anticipate the first real, concrete announcements from Canon to educate us and help me decide my gear strategy moving forward this year.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
That sounds like hyperbole, and is almost certainly not true. Anyone familiar with product development (in any field) knows that using entirely new components is a recipe for disaster, in terms of timeline, reliability, unforeseen issues, cost, etc. It's also why as a consumer you never buy a first gen product.

Highly unlikely Canon would do that for what is targeted to be their top workhorse professional camera. That thing needs to just work.
Completely agree with you, I work for a R & D company and we never design "from scratch" components. That's just not how the industry works.

I'm tired of people spreading baseless nonsense without any knowledge. These claims just muddy the waters more then they need to be.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
The R1 spec rumors sound really good to me . . . so long as it isn't TOO far below 45MP. I don't want global shutter -- just too many compromises. I don't want 8k -- I don't shoot video, ever. Just give me an R3 with around 40MP, put an R1 label on it, and I will be a happy customer.
You'd also be the only customer

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I suspect that the R1 will be using a new Digic (X2, 11 or 3000?), EVF and a new sensor, which for the marketing department and internet hype machine means "EVERYTHING IS NEW!!!!!" Kinda like the 1DX3 did.

For bonus points, stick a few letters to the battery, e.g. LP-E19NH and you can hype it even more.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
ooh boy...maybe the R1 will be less than 10K$ now!

The one that gets me about this rumor is what is the R3mkII going to look like if the R1 is not around 45mp? My initial thought, which is of course worth the paper its written on, was that people have been saying this camera will be 60, 80 or 100mp. So if it had 45mp it would be 'less than some people think'. But if they go to say mid 30s what does that leave for an R3II upgrade?

I could see other features setting this apart
- active cooling but still weather sealed
-QPAF
- Some crazy burst speed like 120fps RAW, and 40 or 50fps continuous
- articulating EVF
- new DIGIC with better power efficiency

Just have to wait and see. I think we know it'll be at the Olympics. We have heavy speculation that some 'influencers' have spent time with it already. I'm kind of excited.

On the R5II standpoint, now even happier I jumped on the refurb blow out black Friday and got an R5 instead of waiting.

Brian

Upvote 0