Canon EOS R1 prototypes are in the wild [CR3]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Due to the reasons outlined above I have a really hard time stopping myself from laughing when reading “The R3 is a renamed R1” conspiracy posts.
Because the new Sonies were so exceptionally perfect, Canon felt so ashamed of their crappy R1 that the renamed it R3.
Such extremely stupid theory speaks loud for its brain-damaged authors...:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Due to the reasons outlined above I have a really hard time stopping myself from laughing when reading “The R3 is a renamed R1” conspiracy posts.
Not to mention that the ad campaign would have been started well in advance, as well as printer layouts and proofs for manuals, boxes, webpages, etc. If the R3 was really going to be the R1, you know without a shadow of a doubt that someone would have posted early R1 ad layouts and printer proofs online. Don't think that happened.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The only important thing now is THE PRICE.
Will Canon finally learn and make this a reasonable priced camera or will they go insane again with 8000 or even more…
It's gonna be $9.99 with free shipping. But wait! If you pre-order in the next sixty seconds they'll throw in a strap... Absolutely free!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
It's gonna be $9.99 with free shipping. But wait! If you pre-order in the next sixty seconds they'll throw in a strap... Absolutely free!
”But if you want a functional shutter button and working dials, that will only be an additional $9.99 a month“ ‘Working EVF with better than potato-resolution? A paltry $4.99 a month…..”

• Haha
Upvote 0
The only thing that Canon could do sensor-wise to make the R1 a true flagship camera is do a 100mp sensor, with quad pixel autofocus, and quad pixel binning for 25mp high performance shooting or 100mp slower performance. Logically what else could you do? Whoever did this would put an end to the megapixel wars I think. Canon is no stranger to ultra-high resolution sensors, they advertise industrial APS-H sensors with 250 megapixels!

Also it takes 4x the pixels to make the image twice as large so how can this not make sense?

Yeah I would buy this.

• Haha
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The only thing that Canon could do sensor-wise to make the R1 a true flagship camera is do a 100mp sensor, with quad pixel autofocus, and quad pixel binning for 25mp high performance shooting or 100mp slower performance. Logically what else could you do? Whoever did this would put an end to the megapixel wars I think. Canon is no stranger to ultra-high resolution sensors, they advertise industrial APS-H sensors with 250 megapixels!

Also it takes 4x the pixels to make the image twice as large so how can this not make sense?

Yeah I would buy this.
That is one approach Canon could do, but I foresee many other refinements to the R3 that could be and should be made in the upcoming R1.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The only thing that Canon could do sensor-wise to make the R1 a true flagship camera is do a 100mp sensor, with quad pixel autofocus, and quad pixel binning for 25mp high performance shooting or 100mp slower performance. Logically what else could you do?
Any number of things. Maybe look into the computational aspects of photography that smart phone vendors use to make halfway decent photos from tiny sensors and glass, and apply them to a large sensor system camera in a raw file container, for example. To me, that would be far more interesting than a given resolution.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I see. So the 1D X with 18 MP and the 1D X II and III with 20 MP weren’t true flagships. What were they? Dinghies? Rowboats? Canoes? Sculls? Kayaks? Water wings??
haha that's quite the hierarchy. Maybe it ends at those aluminum foil boats we made as kids to float down the gutters when it rained. That's probably frowned upon these days.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I see. So the 1D X with 18 MP and the 1D X II and III with 20 MP weren’t true flagships. What were they? Dinghies? Rowboats? Canoes? Sculls? Kayaks? Water wings??
S/he probably thinks "The 1D X series was a life preserver which Canon was hanging on due to being late to mirrorless Blackberry/Nokia"

Upvote 0