Canon EOS R5 Mark II to up 8K framerate [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R5 Mark II is expected to be announced in early 2024, the logical time would be ahead of CP+ in February. There have been multiple reports that prototypes of the camera are in the hands of Canon’s loyal test photographers, but the final feature set for the camera is not yet known.

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
I used 8k30 raw lite for the first time at 500@mm so I could crop in post for the moon rising over a viewpoint at Bondi beach … came out ok except for the drone flying illegally :-(
Biggest issue was the bandwidth and even with lite mode, a 128gb card fills up in 11 minutes. 8k60 raw would be a huge data hog but if the sensor readout can support it then why not. No one will be doing long form interviews at 8k60 :)

If the HDMI port is upgraded to 2.1 then you can record raw externally and remove the cfe card heat source as an option for longer record times.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Dumb question by someone that doesn't know much about the underlying engineering: Why can't they offer 4K raw as well? I shoot in 8k raw a decent amount, and 4k60 All-I....but I always wish I could shoot it raw...is there some reason this can't be done as well?
You could do 4k RAW, but only cropped. RAW means you get the sensor pixels 1:1 represented in the output. If you'd take the full sensor and downscale it to 4k, it wouldn't be RAW anymore.

If you mean 'better-than-h265' instead, then yes, that is technically possible, if Canon wants to license it, something like ProRES would be interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm convinced 8k60 is pretty much a given at this point. The R5C showed that the sensor can handle it, but that the Digic X needed more juice than a LP-E6NH can supply. The R6II and R8 showed that the Digic X variant they are using only needs half the power compared to the R5/R6.

So a current R5 with the Digic X from the R6II would very likely be capable of 8k60 with AF using just the LP-E6NH.

Personally, I'd like to see all the improvements from the R6II show up in the R5II: tracking in all AF modes, auto subject detect, no 29:59 video limit, HF flicker reduction and FPS selection. And a much improved sensor readout speed. Without an improved rolling shutter, the R5II would be a hard pass for me. Even with improved speed it would be a hard sell, it's not the R5 that's holding back my photography :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You could do 4k RAW, but only cropped. RAW means you get the sensor pixels 1:1 represented in the output. If you'd take the full sensor and downscale it to 4k, it wouldn't be RAW anymore.
If it is to be a 60 MP sensor then it would shoot 9.5K RAW video.
I could see cropped 8K 60 RAW also being a possibility.
It is also shot 4K240 uncropped there would be few complaints about 8K60 being cropped.

Upvote 0
Biggest issue was the bandwidth and even with lite mode, a 128gb card fills up in 11 minutes. 8k60 raw would be a huge data hog but if the sensor readout can support it then why not. No one will be doing long form interviews at 8k60 :)
Can confirm based on using the Z9 at 8k/60 raw for wildlife photography. You need a super-fast and expensive CFX-B card. 1TB records 23 minutes of video, and that's just the start of the workflow problems. Long-term use of 8k/60 creates insane storage costs; remember you need off-site backups, too. Sending footage across the Internet to a video editor adds a day to your schedule. You'll need proxies for editing. Render times with grading and noise reduction (because it's raw) require real planning; 10 minutes of footage can easily take an hour to render.

Of course, almost nobody actually uses 8k/60, raw or not. Most video is consumed on smartphones, and these cameras aren't the cinema cameras any filmmaker would use for big-screen productions. I think it's just pointless escalation of specs for the sake of competition.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If it is to be a 60 MP sensor then it would shoot 9.5K RAW video.
I could see cropped 8K 60 RAW also being a possibility.
It is also shot 4K240 uncropped there would be few complaints about 8K60 being cropped.
The Sony BURANO does record 6K compressed RAW internally downscaled from an 8K sensor.
Considering the R5 II is supposed to offer multiple RAW resolution for stills (like A Sony A1), it is not impossible to see some downscaling for 8K RAW video as well.
(Whether it is RAW or not RAW is another matter but again, the competition already uses that.)

Upvote 0