The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
True, the 1 series S cameras were different size sensors. But they did make the 5DS as a high resolution 5 series which were already full frame. No way to know if they will go that route, but since they launched the R series it has really revived their company earnings. So maybe it would make sense to diversify offerings in the pro market as well. It could also explain the whiplash of specs in the rumor mill. Probably just wishful thinking.
I doubt we'll see a re-splitting of the 1-series. I suspect we will see a high MP 5-series at some point reasonably soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I think overall, you’re correct. We are really at the stage of diminishing marginal returns with successive camera releases.
At a hardware level, possibly. However there is a lot computationally that could move it forward. In-camera raw stacking, modulo functionality, etc.

When I owned a Sony A7RII, I bought a cheap paid app from its PlayMemories ecosystem. It allowed me to dial in a number of frames, and then it would take them and compile them in a single .ARW file container. I really liked that - I could achieve motion blur without using long exposures. Perplexingly, Sony didn't allow PlayMemories integration with subsequent cameras.

This isn't a particularly strong photo, but as I recall it was shot as a stack of 30-60 frames each for 1/160sec, and then combined into a single file, glassing the moving water in-camera without ND.

Attachments

• 20170408-5768.jpg
    20170408-5768.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
At a hardware level, possibly. However there is a lot computationally that could move it forward. In-camera raw stacking, modulo functionality, etc.
I recall when there were 9 AF points. Then 19. Then —OMG SO MANY— 61. Now it’s as many as there are pixels. Not even a number to call out. Computational improvements are like that, IMO. Night mode? Multishot NR? 400 MP image with pixel shift? Not sure those sell a lot of cameras.

Perplexingly, Sony didn't allow PlayMemories integration with subsequent cameras.
Why? Because Sony.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I recall when there were 9 AF points. Then 19. Then —OMG SO MANY— 61. Now it’s as many as there are pixels.

9? I still have an Elan 7NE around here somewhere with 7 :)

Not even a number to call out. Computational improvements are like that, IMO. Night mode? Multishot NR? 400 MP image with pixel shift? Not sure those sell a lot of cameras.

Selling a lot of cameras is distinct from moving them forward. Granted, most of the computational improvements require longer exposures so are really only applicable to landscape and astro photographers, but I'd welcome them. These days, if I want to blur a waterfall, I take a burst, align and stack in photoshop, and then median combine them. If a new camera would do that for me, I'd buy it.

Why? Because Sony.

Yep, I haven't looked back.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Selling a lot of cameras is distinct from moving them forward. Granted, most of the computational improvements require longer exposures so are really only applicable to landscape and astro photographers, but I'd welcome them.
I doubt the major motivation of camera manufacturers is to move cameras forward. Probably there are some engineers employed by camera companies who have that as a personal goal.

Upvote 0
Canon should be motivated to have the R1 be a "halo product" that reflects positively on the entire brand. It should be "something special".
You gotta be careful with words like "should" and "need" around here whenever it involves anyone other than you. Some people might get the impression that you think you know what will make market leaders more or less successful, and respond with unwavering zeal countering any such statements.

But I agree, it would be cool to see the R1 as a halo product, which Canon has been making a lot of with their impressive top tier RF primes and zooms.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon should be motivated to have the R1 be a "halo product" that reflects positively on the entire brand. It should be "something special".
It will be the flagship, so no doubt Canon will include impressive top-line features. Also no doubt some here will complain about it, because it doesn't meet their expectations. Fortunately, those people are free to not buy it.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
It will be the flagship, so no doubt Canon will include impressive top-line features. Also no doubt some here will complain about it, because it doesn't meet their expectations. Fortunately, those people are free to not buy it.
I once knew a QC manager who wrote that it was the good customers who complained. The bad customers never said a word and just disappeared so you never knew what you had done wrong and what you had to do to get them back.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I once knew a QC manager who wrote that it was the good customers who complained. The bad customers never said a word and just disappeared so you never knew what you had done wrong and what you had to do to get them back.
I'm sure Canon solicited feedback from a variety of photographers prior to finalizing the design of the R1. The best time to listen to customers is before you release a product.

Upvote 0