Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Mar 2, 2012
I'm not sure how generative AI would work in this situation. GenAI takes your inputs to then iteratively improve the focus selection results for next time. It isn't clear to me how the individual camera would identify which images are significantly better than others to refine AI autofocus for the next shot. Normally we do that in post to pick the "best" image and delete ones where the focus is off however it was determined by the original algorithm. Maybe using the Rate button but I am not sure how many users use this feature.

I had the situation on the weekend shooting indoor karate training session with pairs of students doing sparring drills together with spectators sitting down a meter from the mats.
I often needed to select the correct face using the Set button to get the right one at the center point to start tracking. Note that joystick left-right selection wouldn't have worked due to the sheer number of heads potentially to select.
The tracking was great once it locked onto the right subject.

I can't see how genAI would assist in this scenario ie all the heads were options so one wouldn't be better than another.

That said, if I could train it to detect the rhinopores of nudibranchs then that would be very useful :)
I don’t think Generative AI will have anything to do with it unless it’s on-camera post processing.

I think they’ll use some AI-ish machine learning to develop subject and scene recognition, and then select and refine algorithm parameters accordingly.

“Oh, this looks like an animal approaching the camera. Select AF points where its nearest eye likely is, and prioritize for closing distance.”

Use of “AI” would be on the development side, not the camera side, in my estimation. They certainly wouldn’t use Generative AI to train the system; that would contaminate the dataset (“make a picture of a tiger and then learn to recognize a tiger using that picture” is bad juju). Conceivably they could use Generative AI to write code (“track the tiger’s position,”) but canon isn’t exactly known for its software prowess so it isn’t likely they have a model capable of that (vice OpenAI or Google).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
With respect, that makes no sense. Professional just means they do it for a living, not that they necessarily have special technical or artistic knowledge or insight.
With no disrespect taken, and sincere apologies for mine. Perhaps that wasn’t the best way to phrase it, and you’re correct. That is all professional means.

However, if you’re any level of photographer looking for advice about the trade or in depth knowledge about a particular field of photography, you generally find someone that is experienced. Now this can just as easily be an amateur or any non-professional. My grandfather was an absolutely brilliant photographer and never shot professionally, but I knew him personally and that brings trust. Just as well, there is an abundance of professionals who you scratch your head about. As strangers on the internet -you don’t know them personally- it would be difficult to vet them as being proficient in answering or providing an educated response without at least getting to know them on some level. The only way to really build that kind of “relationship” online is from historically sound advice, demonstration of knowledge in what you’re asking about, or a portfolio that shows they have experience in that field, etcetera. Like bird photography, I know so little about it so asking questions about it or getting a response about it from members here or elsewhere that have established good techniques or reliable information I consider trustworthy sources. That can be applied to anything.

A good analogy would be if you’re looking for advice about plumbing and some random person on the internet with zero signs of experience tells you how to do something. They could be spot on, but you would likely question it, would you not? But if they come out of the gate and you can establish they’re a day-to-day professional plumber, you would be more likely to take that stranger’s advice. I think that’s a pretty reasonable outlook. In this case, I directly responded to someone that decided to engage with neuro. My response was probably better shared as a private message. I just like reading people’s opinions, thoughts, and talking about cameras. In nearly every single thread on this website I see someone responding to him defending themselves after being spoken to rudely and you just get sick of it. It’s virtually every thread. Remarkable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
You have disillusioned me. I've never had an Error 70 in 4 years with my R5 and I thought I was unique with the only trouble-free R5 in existence. If everyone made their decisions of not to buy on such internet forum gossip, all camera sales would stop dead.
At the same time, if everyone made decisions based on influencers and revenues, the CEOs of the leading companies in the photography industry would be building rocket ships and buying the most famous social media platforms.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It’s virtually every thread.
…in which…
some random person on the internet with zero signs of experience tells
…all of us they know what Canon must do to survive, or what millions of photographers think, or some equivalently asinine claim, that I respond by pointing out that their unsupported claims are ridiculous.

Remarkable.
So in your opinion, making patently false claims is not only acceptable but something you actively support. Well, you’re from Florida, so that attitude is not remarkable at all, sadly.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
With no disrespect taken, and sincere apologies for mine. Perhaps that wasn’t the best way to phrase it, and you’re correct. That is all professional means.

However, if you’re any level of photographer looking for advice about the trade or in depth knowledge about a particular field of photography, you generally find someone that is experienced. Now this can just as easily be an amateur or any non-professional. My grandfather was an absolutely brilliant photographer and never shot professionally, but I knew him personally and that brings trust. Just as well, there is an abundance of professionals who you scratch your head about. As strangers on the internet -you don’t know them personally- it would be difficult to vet them as being proficient in answering or providing an educated response without at least getting to know them on some level. The only way to really build that kind of “relationship” online is from historically sound advice, demonstration of knowledge in what you’re asking about, or a portfolio that shows they have experience in that field, etcetera. Like bird photography, I know so little about it so asking questions about it or getting a response about it from members here or elsewhere that have established good techniques or reliable information I consider trustworthy sources. That can be applied to anything.

A good analogy would be if you’re looking for advice about plumbing and some random person on the internet with zero signs of experience tells you how to do something. They could be spot on, but you would likely question it, would you not? But if they come out of the gate and you can establish they’re a day-to-day professional plumber, you would be more likely to take that stranger’s advice. I think that’s a pretty reasonable outlook. In this case, I directly responded to someone that decided to engage with neuro. My response was probably better shared as a private message. I just like reading people’s opinions, thoughts, and talking about cameras. In nearly every single thread on this website I see someone responding to him defending themselves after being spoken to rudely and you just get sick of it. It’s virtually every thread. Remarkable.
This is neither here nor there as it pertains to the thread topic - maybe more of a derailment of a derailment - but I don’t think that asking a professional for advice is appropriate for most. I wouldn’t ask LeBron James for advice about getting better at basketball; his response would be slanted by his experience as someone who draws a paycheck from it and can dedicate himself to it in a way that me who just wants to get better for my pickup game with the boys cannot.

A professional photographer has different priorities from an amateur. Taking gear advice could lead to unnecessary purchases or leases.

This is ostensibly a gear rumor site. Professional or amateur status as a photographer isn’t really relevant as it pertains to what gear may materialize. A background in business development and data analysis is likely more valuable than a background in photography in this context.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If the sensor is BSI only without mechanical shutter, it is meaningless to release mark ii.
The sensor must be stacked sensor or global shutter but I guess 0.01% to use global shutter.
May be Red sell their 8K global sensor to Canon? haha.

sensor speed should be faster than Z8 if Canon doesn't want to loss their face!
RED sold out to Nikon so that's not happening.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This is ostensibly a gear rumor site. Professional or amateur status as a photographer isn’t really relevant as it pertains to what gear may materialize. A background in business development and data analysis is likely more valuable than a background in photography in this context.
To derail that a step further, I don't expect we'll see an Explorer of Light, Presidential photographer, or any other 'top of their field' professional photographers hanging out here.

My day job involves scientific imaging, but I don't go to online forums to discuss forthcoming instrumentation. Rather, I'm approached by consulting firms that have been engaged by manufacturers of scientific instruments to conduct market research (my consulting fees from that type of activity, along with other scientific consulting that I do, is what pays for my camera gear), or I'm approached directly by the manufacturers to evaluate prototypes of new imaging systems. In both cases, I'm precluded from discussing those topics online or anywhere else.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To derail that a step further, I don't expect we'll see an Explorer of Light, Presidential photographer, or any other 'top of their field' professional photographers hanging out here.

My day job involves scientific imaging, but I don't go to online forums to discuss forthcoming instrumentation. Rather, I'm approached by consulting firms that have been engaged by manufacturers of scientific instruments to conduct market research (my consulting fees from that type of activity, along with other scientific consulting that I do, is what pays for my camera gear), or I'm approached directly by the manufacturers to evaluate prototypes of new imaging systems. In both cases, I'm precluded from discussing those topics online or anywhere else.
You never mind being proved wrong when confronted with evidence. I had a brief spell as a Presidential photographer 11 years ago when I sneaked an SX50HS into the annual meeting at which guess who gave a brilliant speech.

IMG_0715-DxO_Obama_SX50_HS.jpgIMG_0725-DxO_Obama_SX50_HS.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
You never mind being proved wrong when confronted with evidence. I had a brief spell as a Presidential photographer 11 years ago when I sneaked an SX50HS into the annual meeting at which guess who gave a brilliant speech.

View attachment 215482

Barack Obama is the Secretariat of orators :)

Glad you snuck in a "small" camera. Way to go!!

Upvote 0
So nothing vastly different from the original R5 then, except possibly a faster readout speed since they're going all electronic shutter. More reason to take advantage of the reduced price on the original R5, which is still a fantastic camera by today's standards.
Maybe limited improvement on Dynamic Range? I subscribed several walking vtoubers on YT who shoot 8K walking videos, three of them shoot with EOS R5, the other one with Sony A1. All R5 users chose to endure the shadow being partly clipped to reserve highlight details, expecially under sunshine scenes. But the A1 user have no such pain at all. Please Canon, give us about 13 stops dynamic range under 8K 60FPS, I have kept the money for three years. Hope that there will be a normal affordable price before my trip to Austria and Hungary.

Upvote 0
So 45MP stacked? And 45MP with 60fps.

I can finally throw my Sony a1 into the bin.

G R E A T
Still 45 MP ..I'm very disappointed...Bird Photographer...wasted a lot of time waiting for big bump ....60,or 80 / I know who needs that ..well I do ... almost makes me want to jump to Sony or Nikon .. not even 60 ??? sure 60 FPS sounds great but it is such a let down ... saved my money and I think I won't invest in it ... already got 45 and everything works just fine ... needed a bump to spend the big money ..why would I get a new one ? new focus system ..well ok but mine works fine now .. would definitely get it with 62 MP ..now I just don't think so ..sad to hear. Why on earth would they not give it more in this area ... MP ...cant believe the big hype for this crap ... seems strange ... past upgrades always had a bump in MP ... really angry if this is true . guess they don't care much for Bird ,Nature shooters ...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Still 45 MP ..I'm very disappointed...Bird Photographer...wasted a lot of time waiting for big bump ....60,or 80 / I know who needs that ..well I do ... almost makes me want to jump to Sony or Nikon .. not even 60 ??? sure 60 FPS sounds great but it is such a let down ... saved my money and I think I won't invest in it ... already got 45 and everything works just fine ... needed a bump to spend the big money ..why would I get a new one ? new focus system ..well ok but mine works fine now .. would definitely get it with 62 MP ..now I just don't think so ..sad to hear. Why on earth would they not give it more in this area ... MP ...cant believe the big hype for this crap ... seems strange ... past upgrades always had a bump in MP ... really angry if this is true . guess they don't care much for Bird ,Nature shooters ...
I know right!
The R5 mk II was always supposed to be designed as a 62MP camera especially for you. And now this crap. If the rumor is true they are just improving on stuff that you don't care about. I have no idea what they are thinking at Canon.
There are even some more infuriating rumors going around that they might release a different high megapixel camera later called the R5s or something like that, when you specifically wanted your dream camera to be called R5 mk II. I can only imagine how angry you will be if that happens.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I do remember hearing that stuff a long time ago ...R5 s... that would be great but don't think that is going to happen , can't see them doing all this work on R5 ii and then doing a R5 s very soon ..but who knows ..they did do a 5d iii then a 5Drs that I got back a while ...Im just wanting some new big Mp monster NOW not when I am 80 years old ..OH... forgot to say Im 75 ...LOL.ok so I have a fantasy of a 100 mp camera with 50 fps ...LMAO..am I crazy ..yep ...but having fun for 25 years of shooting my Canons with 500f4 and 3002.8 and TC's 1.4 and 2.o ...but so-so so,, heavy ... I digress .. thanks for listening ....200-500 f4 ..at one million dollars ..oh boy can't wait ...

Upvote 0
I do remember hearing that stuff a long time ago ...R5 s... that would be great but don't think that is going to happen , can't see them doing all this work on R5 ii and then doing a R5 s very soon ..but who knows ..they did do a 5d iii then a 5Drs that I got back a while ...Im just wanting some new big Mp monster NOW not when I am 80 years old ..OH... forgot to say Im 75 ...LOL.ok so I have a fantasy of a 100 mp camera with 50 fps ...LMAO..am I crazy ..yep ...but having fun for 25 years of shooting my Canons with 500f4 and 3002.8 and TC's 1.4 and 2.o ...but so-so so,, heavy ... I digress .. thanks for listening ....200-500 f4 ..at one million dollars ..oh boy can't wait ...
So... your username... is ironic?

Upvote 0
HAHAHAHAHA ...I spent 40 years as a "professor "..and many have said ...:"nutty" Professor ..but I really never gave a shit ...had a great career but don't miss it a bit ... gave memory time out in the field for many more hours since retirement in 2015. All kidding aside ..I am a bit disappointed in the Specs for the r5 ..the camera that changed everything in the Bird Photography world . Things have a way of changing ... things may still turn out to my liking before I finish living.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I think ultimately you will be happy that you saved your money. If the R5 II was 61 MP, then you would have spent a lot of money to ultimately find out that there isn't really that much difference between 45 mp and 61 mp. At least that is my assumption based on having both the R7 and R10 at one point, with their 16% difference in resolution, which is the same amount of bump between 45 and 61 mp. If you are hand holding, good chance you won't see much difference between 45 and 61 mp. If you use a tripod, maybe you will get close to the theoretical 16% maximum bump in resolution.

Upvote 0