Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Kind of sounds like a full frame higher megapixel offering than the Fujifilm X-H2S but without a mechanical shutter.
I would keep the R5 in this case. The faster readout is great, but overkill if over 30mp images. Memory cards, and hard drives fill up fast if you are shooting at even 20frames a second. Now imagine 40fps at 45mp, get a new PC, 16tb SSD, etc.

Upvote 0
So what does AI AF mean? Does the AF become smarter/better, or dumber, because I'm the photographer? Or does it need an internet connection, for data Canon will be collecting? Will an older and used camera be more expensive, because AI made the AF better? If AI was used to program/train the AF, the AF itself is not AI, or does AI mean nothing at all these days?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what does AI AF mean? Does the AF become smarter/better, or dumber, because I'm the photographer? Or does it need an internet connection, for data Canon will be collecting? Will an older and used camera be more expensive, because AI made the AF better? If AI was used to program/train the AF, the AF itself is not AI, or does AI mean nothing at all these days?
The camera becomes dumber because its user is dumb

Upvote 0
For walking around, I find it tolerable. Even with the longer length, the combo balances hanging from my BlackRapid strap. But it’s a PITA that the combo doesn’t retract fully for storage. Fortunately, I rarely use the combo.

Yes, it opens to f/7.1 but equivalence means more noise at the same EV. The stop lost with a 1.4x TC essentially balances out with the 1.3-stops more image noise from the crop sensor.
Honestly I haven't found much problem with noise, and when I do have to crank the ISO, DxO PureRaw has been cleaning those up nicely. I've gotten great wildlife shots with the R7 and 100-500 combo, with no TC's needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I would bet it means automatic changes to AF algorithms based on subject recognition, and that cameras will not be collecting data (other than what they already collect) or undergoing machine learning.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Honestly I haven't found much problem with noise, and when I do have to crank the ISO, DxO PureRaw has been cleaning those up nicely. I've gotten great wildlife shots with the R7 and 100-500 combo, with no TC's needed.
Same here. Noise is the least of my problems as I'm using DxO. I am happy using the 200-800mm on the R5 or the 100-500mm on the R7. The 1.4xTC on the R7 has more cons than pros for me and is pushing the lens beyond its limits with the sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Same here. Noise is the least of my problems as I'm using DxO. I am happy using the 200-800mm on the R5 or the 100-500mm on the R7. The 1.4xTC on the R7 has more cons than pros for me and is pushing the lens beyond its limits with the sensor.
Look into the new DxO v.4, if you haven't already, it's a nice upgrade.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
As a "Pro" you should not be disrespectful to fellow photographers and belittle them, like you are doing. That's definitely NOT the way any pro photographer behaves. True pro photographers are respectful to and encourages fellow photographers who are not as skilled or talented as they themselves are because the pros know very well the history and teaching and learning processes of the art of photography, where everyone is a beginner at some point. So act as pro photographer if that's what you are and if you would like to be respected as one and don't act like someone you don't wan't be seen as. A human tip.
You can't reason with an unreasonable person. If you disagree with him, he thinks you're stupid and he'll let you know. He's also not a professional photographer, so there's only so much value he can provide someone that's looking to learn anything that will actually make them a better photographer. He's just here to out technical knowledge everyone where he can and belittle them in the process.

Just block him like I did and get back to enjoying this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You can't reason with an unreasonable person.
True. Have you looked in a mirror lately?

If you disagree with him, he thinks you're stupid and he'll let you know.
No, I welcome disagreement...when that disagreement is supported by facts, data, and/or rational arguments. In my field, coming up with an hypothesis and having it proven wrong is a frequent occurrence (more frequent than the converse). The key there is data. If you make an argument based on false information or unsupported assumptions, then yes...I have no problem calling you an ass.

Just block him like I did and get back to enjoying this forum.
If you can't handle criticism, that does seem like the best approach. Glad it's working out for you.

Upvote 0
So what does AI AF mean?
Like most things labelled AI these days, its just an algorithm that might appear to be slightly smarter to us hoomans e.g, instead of the AF hunting around when a subject walks out of frame, it stays locked on that focus for longer so if/when the subject does come back in frame, it doesn't need to shift focus so far.

Upvote 0
He's also not a professional photographer, so there's only so much value he can provide someone that's looking to learn anything that will actually make them a better photographer.
With respect, that makes no sense. Professional just means they do it for a living, not that they necessarily have special technical or artistic knowledge or insight.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
With respect, that makes no sense. Professional just means they do it for a living, not that they necessarily have special technical or artistic knowledge or insight.
Well, for example a professional photographer might teach you how to use a shallow DoF to fail at isolating the subject. Then that same professional photographer could teach you how to mitigate the embarrassment of posting such an image by deleting it. Just hypothetically, of course.

Seriously, though, I believe one should be open to new ideas and information from any source. The nature of the source should be considered, of course. But for photography advice, there are artists who’s work and advice have helped me greatly that wouldn’t have a clue how to advise me on which AF Case settings would be best for a volleyball match.

• Love
Upvote 0
I would bet it means automatic changes to AF algorithms based on subject recognition, and that cameras will not be collecting data (other than what they already collect) or undergoing machine learning.
I'm not sure how generative AI would work in this situation. GenAI takes your inputs to then iteratively improve the focus selection results for next time. It isn't clear to me how the individual camera would identify which images are significantly better than others to refine AI autofocus for the next shot. Normally we do that in post to pick the "best" image and delete ones where the focus is off however it was determined by the original algorithm. Maybe using the Rate button but I am not sure how many users use this feature.

I had the situation on the weekend shooting indoor karate training session with pairs of students doing sparring drills together with spectators sitting down a meter from the mats.
I often needed to select the correct face using the Set button to get the right one at the center point to start tracking. Note that joystick left-right selection wouldn't have worked due to the sheer number of heads potentially to select.
The tracking was great once it locked onto the right subject.

I can't see how genAI would assist in this scenario ie all the heads were options so one wouldn't be better than another.

That said, if I could train it to detect the rhinopores of nudibranchs then that would be very useful :)

Upvote 0
You can't reason with an unreasonable person. If you disagree with him, he thinks you're stupid and he'll let you know. He's also not a professional photographer, so there's only so much value he can provide someone that's looking to learn anything that will actually make them a better photographer. He's just here to out technical knowledge everyone where he can and belittle them in the process.
Everyone is coming from a different perspective, skills and experience. Each is equally valuable to an extent that they add to the discussion.
How much you spend on your gear and how much money you earn from your gear is not relevant to a valuable contribution.

This forum self-moderates to improve the overall quality of the posts so it doesn't descend into trolling or blatant Canon shills.
Data is sparse but logical thinking is appreciated based on what information is available.
Vast generalisations based on anecdotal evidence is meaningless to the overall market.

I didn't post for a long time (years?) as I was learning heaps along the way (and still do).
Rumours are fun though :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0