Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have had a few reports about the Canon EOS R5 Mark II over the last couple of months. We were told back in July that prototype Canon EOS R5 Mark II camera bodies were in the hands of initial testing photographers, which is a very limited number of people and not the YouTubers. We

See full article...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Interesting specs if true. I had been seriously considering Fuji (again) for medium format, but it looks like the resolution is going to get up there on the R5 and assuming image quality is there, it makes a lot more sense since I'm fully invested in the RF mount, have existing bodies, lighter, more compact package, etc.
At least once a week I go between the GFX100 and X2D 100C (With DJI behind them, I'm confident that they'll exist for a long time) building out my ideal kit.... likely to never pull the trigger.

I really like the 60mp files/resolution out of the likely Sony sensor in the Q3 and M11.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Nothing particularly interesting in the Specs. All to be more or less expected. Dual CFexpress slot might make it wider (I don’t mind the current set up as I’ve loads of SD cards). For me improved focusing capabilities would be number one. If that doesn’t occur I’m not sure if the point of upgrading from the R5 which is still an excellent camera.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nothing particularly interesting in the Specs. All to be more or less expected. Dual CFexpress slot might make it wider (I don’t mind the current set up as I’ve loads of SD cards). For me improved focusing capabilities would be number one. If that doesn’t occur I’m not sure if the point of upgrading from the R5 which is still an excellent camera.
There is a body of thought that they are aiming at bringing over more of the 5DIV users rather than those upgrading. I would guess that they are aiming at both those and existing R5 users who like having the latest. I don't want a second DCExpress slot as I usually don't fill up the first one on a shoot and I use the second as a back-up for emergencies.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Your comment about the spiffs for retailers makes me think Leica is doing something similar with the SL2 kit deals. I'm torn between returning to Canon for the r5ii and the SL3 and suspect they will both emerge at around the same time.
Yeah, I expect to see the Leica SL3/Panasonic S1 II around CP+ in February.

I just traded in my SL2-S (article coming next week), I could not live with the autofocus performance and the S5 II just isn't "enough" camera for what I wanted to do. I also didn't have time to wait for the SL3/S1 II with basketball and travel over the next 6 months. I will miss a lot of things about SL series.

Upvote 0
This feels like the camera I’ve been waiting for in a lot of ways. I’ve been “bottom feeding” on the RF lineup since it was launched, and the RP with fast primes and R7 with telephoto zooms have kept me more than satisfied as I wait for what feels like an actual giant leap forward (although the autofocus on the R7 is disappointing since it can’t keep up with the shutter speeds as per Canon’s admission to Duade Paton on YouTube).

IMHO, R5 felt like an “almost” camera and R3 didn’t have the resolution I need for the money since I’m more portrait-oriented and not making a living off my sports and wildlife images. If this camera has a stacked sensor with fast readout and a kink-free autofocus I’m in. I really don’t want to have to wait for the mark iii, so honestly this is a make or break camera for me.

If they drop the ball, I might finally make the switch and just go with something like the Sony A7CR because it ticks most of my “need” boxes and it’s compact/great for travel. My lenses are still mostly EF adapted for that reason. Canon has had some missteps in its RF rollout (the aforementioned R7 autofocus issues and the 8k overheating debacle that turned out to be a mostly unforced error in the form of a software limitation). It’s time to make good, even if these mistakes haven’t eroded their market share.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
Specs look good.
R5 is pretty much perfect for my use cases. this looks to address a couple of real world minor painpoints:
- dynamic range could be better --> BSI sensor
- electronic shutter being all too compromised, both in high iso as well as moving subjects --> much faster readout
- below average battery life, i went for battery grip to get through a day of shooting --> new battery update it seems
- app being too sluggish to actually replace e.g. a remote trigger --> new app

more is better: resolution is apprechiated, i will gladly use 60MP: for every MP generation there was always someone saying
1. "...but xMP is enough, it slows my workflow down..." and then they upgrade and argue the same way again - its bullocks - just get a macbook with M chip or whatever and fill up your hard drives 40% faster - i take the tradeoff any day
2. "but lower resolution is better for noise" - which is not true if you normalise for resolution in photos. in videos it depends on the binning performance (which hopefully will be great with the X2s processor)
3. "but i don't crop", "it's just for instagram" ... same argument as if you're not wearing a helmet when biking, you might regret it, even though its fine most of the time

no word yet on FPS: but i guess it doesnt matter if they nail electronic shutter 20,30 crazy number FPS will be definitely more than enough.
I hope they allow us to adjust the FPS cap for electronic shutter - not just single vs. 20 like in the R5

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I wonder if any of these specs would be conflated with the R1? I suppose they may have been forced in to dual CF express by the data needed for 60mp at high frame rates outrunning the fastest SD cards.

Stacked or not stacked is another question? R6II was rumored as stacked but didn't turn out that way.

New battery sucks. We just bought new batteries with the last generation. And that also means a new grip probably.

At these specs, I wonder if they are pushing the price up to R3 territory? Seems like something Canon might do, despite the Nikon price structure. But if the specs are true and the price remains around the price of the R5 it'll be a sweet body.

My decision will have to be on whether to get an R5 at a steep discount, or pay up for the new hotness. I was originally holding out for the R1, but recent rumors are putting it at $10k. At the historical $6500 I may have done it just to say I own one. Always wanted a 1 series. It would have been my bucket-list/mid life crisis body. But at $10k just too much.

-Brian

Upvote 0
There is a body of thought that they are aiming at bringing over more of the 5DIV users rather than those upgrading. I would guess that they are aiming at both those and existing R5 users who like having the latest. I don't want a second DCExpress slot as I usually don't fill up the first one on a shoot and I use the second as a back-up for emergencies.
I'm quite happy with my two 5DIV's, I bought them a month before the release of the R and have no regrets.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Interesting specs if true. I had been seriously considering Fuji (again) for medium format, but it looks like the resolution is going to get up there on the R5 and assuming image quality is there, it makes a lot more sense since I'm fully invested in the RF mount, have existing bodies, lighter, more compact package, etc.
Nothing wrong with having a 2nd camera.....I have the Fuji GFX100....and LOVE it.
It has its purposes....but I'm definitely planning at this time to pull the trigger on the R5 II.

The larger sensor of the Digital MF GFX system is nice and definitely different than trying to squeeze too many pixels into the smaller FF sensor.

But if you're like me...save your pennies and over time, you can afford to get both...hell I have Leica Monochrome (M10M) and one of their 35mm film cameras in the mix too....and I'm FAR from wealthy....
I just don't by piddly crap throughout the year, I save and save and save and 1-2 times a year I drop some serious coin on something I really want, with no buyers remorse.....

Anyway, if you can....get both...really fun experiences and different.

HTH,
cayenne

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0