Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We are expecting that the Canon EOS R5 Mark II will be announced before the end of April with availability coming a few months later. We don’t have a solid date, but we have been told that Canon has sent out some NDAs to a certain segment. We have pieced together a specifications list of

See full article...

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Given the current status of sensor development no mechanical shutter sounds rather un-Canon-like to me, unless as @David - Sydney says, there’s a useful reduction in production cost. If that the case I guess no ‘sensor protector’, but they are of debatable benefit anyway IMO.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
That's a pretty bold move to take out the mechanical shutter while sticking with a BSI sensor.

Remember that the R3 has a stacked sensor and still retained the mechanical shutter. They must have made a huge leap in their BSI sensor design and the next-gen DIGIC processor to allow such fast read-out and enable full-time electronic shutter for still and video applications, and there's probably an amazing AF to go along with that. I wonder if they will throw in a 2nd generation eye-controlled AF like what\'s in the Apple Vision Pro headset.

On the other hand, sticking with BSI sensor means the price is unlikely to creep above $4K at launch, I think they are shooting for that sweet spot between the R6 Mark II on the lower end and the R1/R3 on the other.

The only problem with this picture is that the current R5 is still holding its own very well, 4 years after launch.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Given the current status of sensor development no mechanical shutter sounds rather un-Canon-like to me, unless as @David - Sydney says, there’s a useful reduction in production cost. If that the case I guess no ‘sensor protector’, but they are of debatable benefit anyway IMO.
I've noticed a dramatic reduction of dust spots compared to 5DIV and earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
An improvement in efficiency of the ultrasonic cleaning maybe ?
I know we’ve had this debate already, but now I’m convinced that the shutter helps keep dust off the sensor. I mentioned before that my R8 accumulates dust quite readily, where is my R3 does not. Well…did not. I recently noticed some spots in stopped-down shots that I had to clean up in post.

So what changed? I have been shooting primarily musical events lately, and have left the camera in silent mode for the past couple of months. I typically don’t look into the camera when changing lenses (I keep the mount opening pointed down), but the other day I happened to do so, and noticed that the bare sensor was staring back at me despite powering the camera off to change lenses as I typically do. I went into the settings to confirm that I had not somehow changed it to not close the shutter with the power off, and the setting was grayed out – apparently, that option is not available when the camera is in silent mode.

Same ultrasonic cleaning happening, only difference is the shutter wasn’t closing with the power off. So, I’ll clean the sensor…and stop leaving the camera in silent mode.

Incidentally, I suspect it’s about more than just lens changes. The camera spends a lot more time powered off than it does powered on, so there is a lot more time for dust to settle in the interior when the power is off. If the sensor is covered during that time, the dust will settle on the shutter and not the sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0