Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

Amazing, I thought you would need an air tank!
Well, I did with an air tank and it's much easier :-D but if know how to do it, then you can do even free diving, especially in the Red Sea, it's full of stuff even at 5m (I saw a turtle, once, in less then 10m), while in the Mediterranean you often need to push under 20m to see good stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
One of the things we learned from the several excellent R5 teardown videos published was that Canon's design made extremely little effort in that first model to dissipate heat.
It works well enough with the updated firmware.
They just did what Sony did and added a high-heat mode.
Heat syncs do not work forever.
The heat still has to go somewhere eventually.
There is a reason that Panasonic, Sony, and Canon have models with external cooling.
Fuji has an external attachment.

Upvote 0
This feels like the camera I’ve been waiting for in a lot of ways. I’ve been “bottom feeding” on the RF lineup since it was launched, and the RP with fast primes and R7 with telephoto zooms have kept me more than satisfied as I wait for what feels like an actual giant leap forward (although the autofocus on the R7 is disappointing since it can’t keep up with the shutter speeds as per Canon’s admission to Duade Paton on YouTube).

IMHO, R5 felt like an “almost” camera and R3 didn’t have the resolution I need for the money since I’m more portrait-oriented and not making a living off my sports and wildlife images. If this camera has a stacked sensor with fast readout and a kink-free autofocus I’m in. I really don’t want to have to wait for the mark iii, so honestly this is a make or break camera for me.

If they drop the ball, I might finally make the switch and just go with something like the Sony A7CR because it ticks most of my “need” boxes and it’s compact/great for travel. My lenses are still mostly EF adapted for that reason. Canon has had some missteps in its RF rollout (the aforementioned R7 autofocus issues and the 8k overheating debacle that turned out to be a mostly unforced error in the form of a software limitation). It’s time to make good, even if these mistakes haven’t eroded their market share.
Sorry but everything you are saying makes it seem like you are all over the place. Why would the R5 be an almost camera while you would consider the A7CR?

You say you are mostly a portrait oriented shooter while sports and wildlife kinda being on the side. The R5 shoots after than the A7R or A7CR and is a better all around camera. 45 MP should be high enough Rez for what you do, and if you are worried about rolling shutter, you can shoot it in first curtain shutter mode and still shoot faster than the A7CR.

I used to shoot Sony and every once in a while I look at what Sony has out, and I have to say that nothing is really on par with the R5 except the A1 but that is almost double the price at this point. The A7 and the A7R (or Cs). Sony's only advantage in my opinion is general AF. On things the cameras are trained on they are on par. But for subject recognition such as inanimate objects the Sonys have the edge... which probably won't affect your shooting in the least. Just my 2c

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
One of the things we learned from the several excellent R5 teardown videos published was that Canon's design made extremely little effort in that first model to dissipate heat. There were even some third party add-ons that simply put in a heat sink that was actually attached to the outer case, which Canon had failed to do.

We know that there is a lot of room to improve the heat dynamics of that body.
I concur but Canon is/was pretty conservative on the low temperature burn issue for their bodies and perhaps also for keeping their semiconductors within their normal temperature range. It was only later that they added firmware to allow a higher internal temperature.

We need to remember and put in context that overheating was only in 3 video modes and even then the 8k recording time was revolutionary. The reviewers expected 8k timelapse or no AF etc but then only 20 minutes raw was "outrageous". Canon just hadn't expected such a negative reaction to a bleeding edge product and no one would be doing long interviews @ 8k anyway. Panasonic recently mentioned that they aren't going to produce 8k cameras for the near future.
I guess if there was any real compliant would be that the interval times between overheat 1 and consecutive overheats was long. The proposed 3rd party fans on the rear panel behind the screen never eventuated.

On the CFexpress issue specifically, yes, they are quite the little boilers. Interestingly, they vary from brand to brand quite a lot. They also vary even more by reader. A result of doing a CFexpress card reader review leaves me with a dozen or so of them, and it's clear that the different readers interact with them in pretty different ways - especially regarding whether heat is generated when they are *not actively reading*.

Canon's own reading function appears to be on the good side of the spectrum, as there is only so much heat generated in that grip, and only when the card is being actively used. This bodes well for a double-carded body. But it may well prove that using the backup writing card option does affect battery life more than in the days of the SD cards.
CFe v4 specs seem to address some of the power/heat but Canon wouldn't add it to the R5ii. They didn't include a HDMI2.1 port which was a miscalculation IMO for external recording of high bit rate video. That could have alleviated the need for internal recording and the heat generated.

Upvote 0
The stacked sensor would be the only reason for me to upgrade my R5. A stacked sensor is a significant hardware improvement. All else is mere firmware. The stacked sensor significantly raises the performance ceiling.
"All else is mere firmware".... we have discussed that firmware is not simple and yet certain features (eg variable electronic shutter rates) would appear to the a simple change for the R5 but hasn't appeared.
Updating the firmware for the large number of features from other Canon bodies and other OEMs would almost make a new R5ii by itself. Canon had an opportunity for a worthwhile pixel shift option but all the reviews I have seen don't indicate that there is much advantage to the final jpeg.

Upvote 0
Well, I did with an air tank and it's much easier :-D but if know how to do it, then you can do even free diving, especially in the Red Sea, it's full of stuff even at 5m (I saw a turtle, once, in less then 10m), while in the Mediterranean you often need to push under 20m to see good stuff.
Snorkeling can easily take shots of turtles and manta rays depending on your location. Hawaii's big island and Lady Elliot Island in Australia are 2 examples. I was in <2m depth and 3m from the shoreline at ʻAnaehoʻomalu Beach for one and another at low tide in the lagoon at LEI
1694387875055.png
1694387906949.png

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
CFe v4 specs seem to address some of the power/heat but Canon wouldn't add it to the R5ii. They didn't include a HDMI2.1 port which was a miscalculation IMO for external recording of high bit rate video. That could have alleviated the need for internal recording and the heat generated.
Canon should not have needed HDMI2.1 if Atomos was earlier with the Ninja V+.
Atomos stated that they were working with Canon months before the R5 came out.
On that note, I can't believe that the new Ninja V does not include HDMI2.1.
It is such a minor upgrade.

Upvote 0
Canon should not have needed HDMI2.1 if Atomos was earlier with the Ninja V+.
Atomos stated that they were working with Canon months before the R5 came out.
On that note, I can't believe that the new Ninja V does not include HDMI2.1.
It is such a minor upgrade.
HDMI2.1 is almost 3x the bit rate speed of 2.0 and released late 2017. Chipsets should have been available in time for the R5.
2.1 handles 4k120 and 8k whereas 2.0 doesn't although the V+ does handle a compressed version and came too late to avoid the kerfuffle.
A missed opportunity for Canon to avoid a lot of problems in my opinion.

From Wikipedia...
The 48 Gbit/s bandwidth provided by HDMI 2.1 is enough for 8K resolution at approximately 50 Hz, with 8 bpc RGB or Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color. To achieve even higher formats, HDMI 2.1 can use Display Stream Compression with a compression ratio of up to 3∶1. Using DSC, formats up to 8K (7680 × 4320) 120 Hz or 10K (10240 × 4320) 100 Hz at 8 bpc RGB/4:4:4 are possible. Using Y′CBCR with 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling in combination with DSC can allow for even higher formats

Upvote 0
Sorry but everything you are saying makes it seem like you are all over the place. Why would the R5 be an almost camera while you would consider the A7CR?

You say you are mostly a portrait oriented shooter while sports and wildlife kinda being on the side. The R5 shoots after than the A7R or A7CR and is a better all around camera. 45 MP should be high enough Rez for what you do, and if you are worried about rolling shutter, you can shoot it in first curtain shutter mode and still shoot faster than the A7CR.

I used to shoot Sony and every once in a while I look at what Sony has out, and I have to say that nothing is really on par with the R5 except the A1 but that is almost double the price at this point. The A7 and the A7R (or Cs). Sony's only advantage in my opinion is general AF. On things the cameras are trained on they are on par. But for subject recognition such as inanimate objects the Sonys have the edge... which probably won't affect your shooting in the least. Just my 2c
You’re absolutely correct - I’m all over the place.

I suppose that my premise here is that if I’m going to buy an almost camera, I want it in a tiny package. At least then the compromises I’m making make sense. And also consider the $1,000 price difference in these cameras.

You’re definitely right that I’m almost entirely geared for portraits professionally so resolution and autofocus precision weigh heavily on my opinions, other features less so.

And of course a lot of my thinking is just plain ignorance around some of the nuances of the products since I don’t have the disposable income to just rent and try these out to get a sense of what really works and what doesn’t. So I rely on the YouTubers and other reviewers (a tenuous choice, I’m aware).

Honestly (no sarcasm here) I appreciate you calling me out so kindly given these shortcomings. You’re a classy individual.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
You’re absolutely correct - I’m all over the place.

I suppose that my premise here is that if I’m going to buy an almost camera, I want it in a tiny package. At least then the compromises I’m making make sense. And also consider the $1,000 price difference in these cameras.

You’re definitely right that I’m almost entirely geared for portraits professionally so resolution and autofocus precision weigh heavily on my opinions, other features less so.

And of course a lot of my thinking is just plain ignorance around some of the nuances of the products since I don’t have the disposable income to just rent and try these out to get a sense of what really works and what doesn’t. So I rely on the YouTubers and other reviewers (a tenuous choice, I’m aware).

Honestly (no sarcasm here) I appreciate you calling me out so kindly given these shortcomings. You’re a classy individual.
Not sure where you live, but hopefully you know that places like B&H and Adorama offer 30 day returns, and many other local camera stores offer no hassle returns as well. So, no renting or disposable income needed. Not sure you've articulated why the R5 was an "almost" camera. It has high resolution (more than enough for portraits for sure) and excellent auto-focus, your 2 priorities. What exactly would take a camera from almost to just right? Seems like the R5 - now with lower prices - is a no-brainer.

Upvote 0
Not sure where you live, but hopefully you know that places like B&H and Adorama offer 30 day returns, and many other local camera stores offer no hassle returns as well. So, no renting or disposable income needed. Not sure you've articulated why the R5 was an "almost" camera. It has high resolution (more than enough for portraits for sure) and excellent auto-focus, your 2 priorities. What exactly would take a camera from almost to just right? Seems like the R5 - now with lower prices - is a no-brainer.
Maybe I’m putting too much weight on emerging technologies, but they feel important to me and the R5 came across as ahead of it’s time in some of the wrong ways.

But…an R5 below $3,000 would become attractive to me. So it’s not that I wouldn’t buy one. Just that I want a bit more for the asking price. I never considered the dine and dash approach to buying camera bodies. Maybe I’ll give it a go sometime…

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Maybe I’m putting too much weight on emerging technologies, but they feel important to me and the R5 came across as ahead of it’s time in some of the wrong ways.

But…an R5 below $3,000 would become attractive to me. So it’s not that I wouldn’t buy one. Just that I want a bit more for the asking price. I never considered the dine and dash approach to buying camera bodies. Maybe I’ll give it a go sometime…
I think you have one more day to check out the deals at B&H and their BILD Expo deals. I think the R5 is 3,009 including a battery grip.

I have no idea what you mean ahead of it's time in the wrong ways, but I'll stop asking questions.

Upvote 0
Not sure where you live, but hopefully you know that places like B&H and Adorama offer 30 day returns, and many other local camera stores offer no hassle returns as well. So, no renting or disposable income needed.
The US does have better options for trying before finally committing money. Lensrental and 30 days returns are not something that a number of countries supports. The returns in the US also provide a secondary market for Canon refurb deals which also don't exist in other countries.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Last time I had a camera with UW housing it was a 12mpx compact in 2008, used with its pop up flash (but housing featured a diffuser), so nothing special, you could just do macro and close-up with such a small and dim light; then, working in a diving centre (at the time; I did it from 1999 to 2012) doesn't give you time to take pictures, and anyway decent uw photography is too expensive, and no one in paying me to do it, so for now it's a no go.
We'll see in the future, now I don't have money to even go on vacation, let alone buying uw equipment.

(first two pics were taken in 2004 in red sea with a 4mpx compact, the others are Isola d'Elba in Italy)

View attachment 211493 View attachment 211494 View attachment 211497View attachment 211496View attachment 211495
The biggest advantage of the small compact setups is their macro feature on top of wider angle. I started that way (various IXUS and S90/S100 models) but it has been very much a GAS issue for me. What the new TG7 can do is pretty remarkable for the price!

Upvote 0