Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

I thought the average Canon shooter was a wildlife and sports pro/wannabe? Obviously a stacked or global shutter sensor would surely delight them with low/nonexistent rolling shutter and fast AF.

I'm wildlife myself :alien::devilish: so for balancing it out, I shoot human beings only, preferably while resting; sport I prefer to do it (i'm an amateur cyclist and a scuba diving instructor), not shoot it :geek:

Upvote 0
\"New button layout and controls\"

This is how we know this rumor is true. Why would Canon leave the perfect button layout of the R5 alone?
Sorry to disagree : are you using R5 Vertical grip + AF piloted by back screen touch in both orientation ?
Never take a R3 in hand ;)
If R5 II could copy R3 eye piloted AF + Ergonomic, I will come back to R5

Upvote 0
Sorry to disagree : are you using R5 Vertical grip + AF piloted by back screen touch in both orientation ?
Never take a R3 in hand ;)
If R5 II could copy R3 eye piloted AF + Ergonomic, I will come back to R5

I use the R6 (I think button layout is the same as R5) with BG, I move AF with the joystick, and I have to say it's to date the best camera I've owned when thinking at the layout (my main cameras were 10D, 20D, 5D, 5DII, 6D, now R6).

I can't exclude they can make it even better, but definitely I hope they won't get it worse in future cameras; I fear they can be tempted to relay more on "touchy things" like touchscreen itself, or the (in)famous touch bar on the original R, because they feel more "modern" and futurible. Touchy things can improve of course, but today I think physical buttons and dials still have the edge in precision, repeatability and reliability in a professional environment.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can't exclude they can make it even better, but definitely I hope they won't get it worse in future cameras; I fear they can be tempted to relay more on "touchy things" like touchscreen itself, or the (in)famous touch bar on the original R, because they feel more "modern" and futurible. Touchy things can improve of course, but today I think physical buttons and dials still have the edge in precision, repeatability and reliability in a professional environment.
The smart controller (R3, 1X D III) is truly excellent for AF point selection. Far better than a joystick, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'll dare to say there's an over-population of people invading the teddies territory, and so they rightfully kick dudes out of their home ;)

(Just two days ago in region Abruzzo a female bear was shot-killed by a farmer because she entered his garden; her two baby bears were recovered and luckily they seem to be independent already, so they should be able to survive without the mother. The specific bear ate in the past some chickens, and some cakes in a bakery, but never caused problems with human, she was not scared but also never aggressive, you usually shout her "go go" while clapping hands, and she was going away. A gentle bear).
Virtually all sharks are the same... just ignoring humans. Tigers/bull/great whites are basically the only ones that have been in tragic attacks but some simple rules like not surfing during dawn/dusk avoiding murky water/rivers and certain locations would avoid most of them.
The disproportionate responses compared to other ways of getting hurt/dying is sad to see. Many more people die from rock fishing and mostly from not wearing life jackets. I'd rather be remembered for dying from a shark attack than from fishing :)

Drones covering popular beaches would be the best option rather than various shark net solutions which mainly kill other sealife and don't cover the length of beaches anyway.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The smart controller (R3, 1X D III) is truly excellent for AF point selection. Far better than a joystick, IMO.
I agree. One thing that I wish they had kept consistent with the joystick though is being able to use it to wake the camera. I have to physically depress it to wake the camera instead of just moving out to the side like a joystick.

Upvote 0
Another underwater shooter in the group?? I've never wished to be an instructor/dive master as I am too busy shooting and wondering where my buddy is :cool:
Last time I had a camera with UW housing it was a 12mpx compact in 2008, used with its pop up flash (but housing featured a diffuser), so nothing special, you could just do macro and close-up with such a small and dim light; then, working in a diving centre (at the time; I did it from 1999 to 2012) doesn't give you time to take pictures, and anyway decent uw photography is too expensive, and no one in paying me to do it, so for now it's a no go.
We'll see in the future, now I don't have money to even go on vacation, let alone buying uw equipment.

(first two pics were taken in 2004 in red sea with a 4mpx compact, the others are Isola d'Elba in Italy)

P8190450.jpg P8190414.jpg IMG_0500.jpgIMG_0331.jpgIMG_0166 2.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I'd rather be remembered for dying from a shark attack than from fishing

I could have be remembered for dying under a ferry :censored: I saw one from beneath (beneath means the draught of the thing was 4m, and I was at 8m on a shoal...), and I saw it while it was in navigation in open sea...I don't recall it as fun, and I honestly still can't understand how I'm here telling you about it. Pure luck.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Last time I had a camera with UW housing it was a 12mpx compact in 2008, used with its pop up flash (but housing featured a diffuser), so nothing special, you could just do macro and close-up with such a small and dim light; then, working in a diving centre (at the time; I did it from 1999 to 2012) doesn't give you time to take pictures, and anyway decent uw photography is too expensive, and no one in paying me to do it, so for now it's a no go.
We'll see in the future, now I don't have money to even go on vacation, let alone buying uw equipment.

(first two pics were taken in 2004 in red sea with a 4mpx compact, the others are Isola d'Elba in Italy)

View attachment 211493 View attachment 211494 View attachment 211497View attachment 211496View attachment 211495
Wonderful photos! How deep do you have to go to see such things?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
(Just two days ago in region Abruzzo a female bear was shot-killed by a farmer because she entered his garden; her two baby bears were recovered and luckily they seem to be independent already, so they should be able to survive without the mother. The specific bear ate in the past some chickens, and some cakes in a bakery, but never caused problems with human, she was not scared but also never aggressive, you usually shout her "go go" while clapping hands, and she was going away. A gentle bear).
"Remember, a fed bear is a dead bear!"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wonderful photos! How deep do you have to go to see such things?
Nothing fancy, all of those were surely done at max 20m (I wouldn't bring the camera to a deep dive, environment it's too dark, and you have to better concentrate on safety), more probably around 10/15m; consider that a basic certification ("open water diver") enables you to dive up to 12m with a buddy with a 8/10 days of training (more often just 5 days training in villages), so those are pictures everyone can take with a week of training and a 300€ camera with a 100€ housing. (at the time; now probably even less).

I'm not a super good apneist, but I can easily dive to 8/10m (with the right pair of fins, and some weights to help) and stay there for at least 30 seconds, more often close to a minute with some breathing exercises (when I was younger I could hold my breath, staying still, for 2m40s), so you may take basically all of those pics just keeping your breath, if you're physically fit and know how to free dive properly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wonder if any of these specs would be conflated with the R1? I suppose they may have been forced in to dual CF express by the data needed for 60mp at high frame rates outrunning the fastest SD cards.

That has been the dilemma for all the wish-list creators: an improved R5 and a new R1 are just about the same camera. Personally, I suspect an R1 will have anemic resolution - as is tradition - and the bigger form factor. They'll also nerf a few things. Odds that the R5 has roving spot metering are about nil.

Stacked or not stacked is another question? R6II was rumored as stacked but didn't turn out that way.

New battery sucks. We just bought new batteries with the last generation. And that also means a new grip probably.

Don't get too worked up about a new battery. Every time they add a letter to the LP-E6 battery, they call it a new battery. Just like the old days when every new 18 megapixel sensor was "all new" for a few years.

At these specs, I wonder if they are pushing the price up to R3 territory? Seems like something Canon might do, despite the Nikon price structure. But if the specs are true and the price remains around the price of the R5 it'll be a sweet body.

They fixed that problem by pricing the R3 at $6k. Could definitely see the R5 II at $4.5k. $5k wouldn't shock me as an initial price.

My decision will have to be on whether to get an R5 at a steep discount, or pay up for the new hotness. I was originally holding out for the R1, but recent rumors are putting it at $10k. At the historical $6500 I may have done it just to say I own one. Always wanted a 1 series. It would have been my bucket-list/mid life crisis body. But at $10k just too much.

Depends how you want and what you want to shoot. If you're settling on a model number now, before you know resolution, FPS, etc., then you're letting your model envy get to you. I've owned a bunch of 1D cameras, and they're great for what they are, but for my own purposes they are most times not the right tool. Usually because of resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually this one got me worried. The button layout, handling and form factor of R5 was great for me, in fact that was the reason I did my transition to mirrorless with Canon (and not Sony and Nikon that I tried a couple of times).

If they do indeed ad eye-tracking, then the button layout will have to rejigger. There's no way you can add that feature and keep the same button layout.

Having owned the R3, I for one would prefer the addition of the "smart nipple" AF trackpad joystick. Was a really nice twofer of functionality, taking up very little space.

In an R3 review I did when it came out, I noted that the eye-AF may well have been a whole lot better if the refresh rate of the tracking kept up faster. It seemed to almost be there for me, so a new processor might change my mind, if it's applied well to the task.

Speaking of the R3, if the R5 II adopted that form factor, I wouldn't complain. Was really nice. I don't think this will happen for a large list of reasons, but just wanted to put that out there.

Upvote 0
For the two CFe cards, I hope they know how to dissipate heat now, because with only one CFe in the R5, it's a huge source of heat ! (and one major reason implied in the R5 overheating problems I guess!)

One of the things we learned from the several excellent R5 teardown videos published was that Canon's design made extremely little effort in that first model to dissipate heat. There were even some third party add-ons that simply put in a heat sink that was actually attached to the outer case, which Canon had failed to do.

We know that there is a lot of room to improve the heat dynamics of that body.

On the CFexpress issue specifically, yes, they are quite the little boilers. Interestingly, they vary from brand to brand quite a lot. They also vary even more by reader. A result of doing a CFexpress card reader review leaves me with a dozen or so of them, and it's clear that the different readers interact with them in pretty different ways - especially regarding whether heat is generated when they are *not actively reading*.

Canon's own reading function appears to be on the good side of the spectrum, as there is only so much heat generated in that grip, and only when the card is being actively used. This bodes well for a double-carded body. But it may well prove that using the backup writing card option does affect battery life more than in the days of the SD cards.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Beautiful shots. Well done, Sir!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Nothing fancy, all of those were surely done at max 20m (I wouldn't bring the camera to a deep dive, environment it's too dark, and you have to better concentrate on safety), more probably around 10/15m; consider that a basic certification ("open water diver") enables you to dive up to 12m with a buddy with a 8/10 days of training (more often just 5 days training in villages), so those are pictures everyone can take with a week of training and a 300€ camera with a 100€ housing. (at the time; now probably even less).

I'm not a super good apneist, but I can easily dive to 8/10m (with the right pair of fins, and some weights to help) and stay there for at least 30 seconds, more often close to a minute with some breathing exercises (when I was younger I could hold my breath, staying still, for 2m40s), so you may take basically all of those pics just keeping your breath, if you're physically fit and know how to free dive properly.
Amazing, I thought you would need an air tank!

Upvote 0