Canon EOS R5 Mark II in the hands of the lucky? [CR1]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To illustrate what happens when someone tries to unsuccessfully outsmart the AF:

I was taking a picture of an Echinacea flower when a hummingbird moth (2nd sighting in my life!) flew by and hovered in front of another flower for short time:
View attachment 210549
By the time I realized I had the AF set to a single point in the centre instead of a zone, the moth was gone. I'm now resizing zones instead of switching to single point on my R8 :)

(And I have the AF-ON button set to spot AF, I should have used that for the flower)
Many of the butterflies I photo have fake eyes on their wings to fool predators, and the eyeAF focusses on those instead of the head or whatever other part of it I want to concentrate on. The depth of field is so shallow at those short distances I need spot focus to select what I want for most of my insect shots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But there needs to be exposure zebras for stills, a Fibonacci spiral grid option in the viewfinder, aperture bracketing, a readout of the exact battery percentage remaining, AF point-linked spot metering, and about a bazillion more one-off features that 'would be so simple for Canon to add in firmware'.
Got a Fibonacci Spiral for you yesterday, I can save it on the R5 and view it!

Snail_M_crop.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Really ? I though current dual pixel AF can only detect horizontal lines.
Certainly according to DPreview's page on the R6ii:

It's possibly a "cut and paste" error from the Oly OM-1, because i've not seen those specific specs applied to the R6ii on any other spec list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Certainly according to DPreview's page on the R6ii:

It's possibly a "cut and paste" error from the Oly OM-1, because i've not seen those specific specs applied to the R6ii on any other spec list.
No Canon MILC has cross-type AF points. DPR is as reliable as ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0