Canon EOS R5 Mark II in the hands of the lucky? [CR1]

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
So how will the MII differ from the incredibly good MI?

I guess better heat handling is an obvious improvement, but for us primarily still shooters, that's not a big deal. I'm not looking for more resolution; 40-50MP is the sweet spot in my opinion. Rather, I'd like to see a 45MP stacked sensor implemented to reduce rolling shutter artifacts, improve responsiveness, and make the already excellent limited blackout disappear. 20fps is plenty for me, but more options (e.g 10, 12, 15fps), and a fake (selectable?) shutter sound in ES mode would be desirable.

In short, I'm not looking for major changes but, rather, for a more refined camera. My R5 is my most enjoyable body (I shoot the Nikon Z9 as well). I think that if Canon makes the user experience more enjoyable with the performance improvements mentioned above, a lot of R5 users will be willing to upgrade.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
So how will the MII differ from the incredibly good MI?

I guess better heat handling is an obvious improvement, but for us primarily still shooters, that's not a big deal. I'm not looking for more resolution; 40-50MP is the sweet spot in my opinion. Rather, I'd like to see a 45MP stacked sensor implemented to reduce rolling shutter artifacts, improve responsiveness, and make the already excellent limited blackout disappear. 20fps is plenty for me, but more options (e.g 10, 12, 15fps), and a fake (selectable?) shutter sound in ES mode would be desirable.

In short, I'm not looking for major changes but, rather, for a more refined camera. My R5 is my most enjoyable body (I shoot the Nikon Z9 as well). I think that if Canon makes the user experience more enjoyable with the performance improvements mentioned above, a lot of R5 users will be willing to upgrade.
I’m using the R5 with my RF600/4. And I have a absolutely no reason to upgrade it, it does everything I ask of it as a photographer. For me the little improvements are pointless to upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
I echo comments above about what a great camera this already is. So my wishlist is mostly some refinements and to also bring the camera up to where newer Canon bodies are. I do not shoot video (yet anyway) so my list is lacking any improvements in that area, although there will no doubt be some improvements there. So this is what I would like to see, not necessarily what I think we might get:

• Camera AF - Bring AF system up to current Canon level of functionality and flexibility (Modify how subject tracking is enabled to match newer bodies and add the new 'modes' with 'stickier' tracking)
  • Pre Shot Buffering - Add pre-shot capture buffering (not sure if currently this is only jpg but if it is make it RAW capture capable)
  • Electronic Shutter - better blackout and less rolling shutter, variable times for ES instead of just full speed, full 14 bit capture in ES, and yes, an option to add a shutter sound
  • Sensor Shift Capture - make this able to handle some amount of subject movement (Sony has such an implementation now) and give us RAW output capability
  • Stacked Sensor - only if it is required to achieve ES improvements above (otherwise nice to have but could keep cost down if not required...)
  • Cost - less than $4,000 US
  • Resolution, Dynamic Range, EVF, Noise Performance, Weight - none of these criteria need to be improved (although improvements could be welcome if not adding to cost), just do not go BACKWARDS on any of these...
If the cost tops $4,000 it could be hard to justify for me. if it tops $4,500 I am probably out of the market for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
I’m using the R5 with my RF600/4. And I have a absolutely no reason to upgrade it, it does everything I ask of it as a photographer. For me the little improvements are pointless to upgrade.
I got tired of waiting and just bought mine 2 months ago. It does everything I need so not sure I will be missing any improvements.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I echo comments above about what a great camera this already is. So my wishlist is mostly some refinements and to also bring the camera up to where newer Canon bodies are. I do not shoot video (yet anyway) so my list is lacking any improvements in that area, although there will no doubt be some improvements there. So this is what I would like to see, not necessarily what I think we might get:

• Camera AF - Bring AF system up to current Canon level of functionality and flexibility (Modify how subject tracking is enabled to match newer bodies and add the new 'modes' with 'stickier' tracking)
  • Pre Shot Buffering - Add pre-shot capture buffering (not sure if currently this is only jpg but if it is make it RAW capture capable)
  • Electronic Shutter - better blackout and less rolling shutter, variable times for ES instead of just full speed, full 14 bit capture in ES, and yes, an option to add a shutter sound
  • Sensor Shift Capture - make this able to handle some amount of subject movement (Sony has such an implementation now) and give us RAW output capability
  • Stacked Sensor - only if it is required to achieve ES improvements above (otherwise nice to have but could keep cost down if not required...)
  • Resolution, Dynamic Range, EVF, Noise Performance, Weight - none of these criteria need to be improved (although improvements could be welcome if not adding to cost), just do not go BACKWARDS on any of these...
If the cost tops $4,000 it could be hard to justify for me. if it tops $4,500 I am probably out of the market for it.
Pre-shot capture is in RAW for Canons that have it. It downloads as a clunky, large DPP4 file. If I "upgrade", it will be after I can get one on the grey market as UK prices are heavily marked up by Canon.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My biggest desire is autofocus improvements. As good as Canon's autofocus is, I still miss the advantages that DSLRs offered under some conditions. I am so tired of spotting a bird in a tree and then having the camera focus on branches and leaves that are 10 ft in front or behind the subject. (From reading past comments on this forum, I believe it is due to the differences between phase detect and contrast detect autofocus and that one solution might be quad pixel autofocus).

I'd welcome a slight boost in resolution, but it is not a deciding factor for me and only if Canon increases the buffer to accommodate increased resolution.

I don't care about pre-shot capture or eye control autofocus. Eye control just isn't effective or reliable for my shooting and I doubt I'd ever use the pre-shot capture (I don't on the R7).

I'd like a sound option added to the electronic shutter.

Too much to hope for, but it would be really nice if Canon would eliminate the "freeze" feature on all its mirrorless bodies.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My biggest desire is autofocus improvements. As good as Canon's autofocus is, I still miss the advantages that DSLRs offered under some conditions. I am so tired of spotting a bird in a tree and then having the camera focus on branches and leaves that are 10 ft in front or behind the subject. (From reading past comments on this forum, I believe it is due to the differences between phase detect and contrast detect autofocus and that one solution might be quad pixel autofocus).[...]
It is also because detection and focus are decoupled in Canon systems. In the classic example of taking a picture of someone with wisps of hair in front of their eyes: The eye detect will detect the eye and tell the AF system to achieve focus in a certain portion of the sensor. The AF system will then focus on the wisps, not the eye.

Apart from that, having an optional contrast based fine tuning step at the end of the AF loop would improve things a lot as well, not every lens is calibrated to the same standard. The RF70-200 needed a firmware update to fix the consistent mis-focus problems.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I'm going to add: Nikon-style 'autocapture' and a full speed CFexpress interface.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
These are all good points. Most of the people I've encountered in online forums who own R5's are generally very happy with them as-is, and the comments so far in this thread seem to agree.

What can Canon improve? I don't use an R5 so I can't say from first-hand experience. Video overheating is an easy one, but they just released the R5c so they need to be careful that the R5 stays as a stills camera that can also do video and not the other way around.

Beyond that, I'm sure Canon has learned a lot from the R3 and R7 that they can incorporate into an R5II.

The real question from a business perspective is whether a Mark II can gain new customers for Canon, i.e., from non-Canon (or non-R5) users, rather than just current R5 users who upgrade. That's a possibility too. Sony is still producing new models on a regular basis, and Nikon has been coming back strong lately (the Z8, in particular, seems like a direct shot at the R5).

Upvote 0
I suspect that for a lot of 5DIV shooters -- like me -- the R5II will be the upgrade that brings us into the mirrorless world. Since I primarily shoot stills, the original R5 wasn't quite worth the spend. But with improved autofocus and sensor, plus even better video, the R5II will be a bigger jump in quality (not to mention that my 5DIV is now 3 years older)

Deutsch Photography: NYC’s Top Corporate, Executive and Actor Headshot Photographer NYC

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I suspect that for a lot of 5DIV shooters -- like me -- the R5II will be the upgrade that brings us into the mirrorless world. Since I primarily shoot stills, the original R5 wasn't quite worth the spend. But with improved autofocus and sensor, plus even better video, the R5II will be a bigger jump in quality (not to mention that my 5DIV is now 3 years older)

Deutsch Photography: NYC’s Top Corporate, Executive and Actor Headshot Photographer NYC
Frankly, I think a reduced price R5 with firmware upgrades is going to be more economical for a 5D MKIV shooter than an R5 MKII at full price. The qualitative improvements of the sensor for MKII vs. MKI will probably be minimal; the video quality already vastly exceeds the 5D MK IV with unlimited standard def 4k 30p, and the autofocus is already incredible. Anything above and beyond the R5 MKI will therefore be much more incremental than what was achieved 5D MKIV > R5.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0