Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If I’m honest, I’m not really blown away by the specs.. Usually Canon is better than their specs so we’ll see. The sync speed is weird not being “any speed” like the Sony when you have pure electronic shutter. Resolution is disappointing , I expected 45 at least. AF will, as always, be the most interesting aspect. Sony have issues with sharpness using the the fully electronic, hopefully Canon as solved that as well.

No mention of Quadpixel AF?
I was expecting a high resolution studio type camera. While 30 mpix on my R has been great, I expected more resolution from the R1.

Edit: I don't know where I thought I'd read the R1 is going to be 30 mpix. My bad. 45-60 sounds great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Not really consistent with the 1 series history, though. Calling it R1s would portend a high resolution body.
Not really - at the rumoured 30MP it would be about 50% higher than recent 1 series bodies anyway. The 5 series has had the high-MP models in recent years.

In any case, there is a lot more to being a flagship camera than sensor resolution, and frankly a lot more to 'resolution' than the number of MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
No, they don't. They transfer them to secondary storage all at once and then read the secondary storage at their leisure. It is that secondary storage (capacitor) that cuts the sensitivity down because it eats up half the space and cuts the full well capacity in half, hence the 1 stop loss in sensitivity and the 250 base ISO. It is not the extra transistors that chew up space. It is the secondary storage capacitor. To read them all at once, they would need 46 million A/D converters, and that ain't happening.
Incidentally, this is what Yu Takae (Senior Manager of ILC product planning) of Sony says:

"An A/D converter and memory are placed within each pixel to eliminate image distortion caused by playback time lag."

There's probably something lost in translation (within each pixel), but it does seem to suggest per pixel ADC. He could be wrong, his title isn't a technical one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Incidentally, this is what Yu Takae (Senior Manager of ILC product planning) of Sony says:

"An A/D converter and memory are placed within each pixel to eliminate image distortion caused by playback time lag."

He could be wrong, his title isn't a technical one.
I do not think that is in conflict with what Dragon is saying.
Sony claims that they split each photosite between memory storage and autofocus.
I take that to mean that AF, the EVF, and the back screen are reading line by line.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon

There's probably something lost in translation (within each pixel), but it does seem to suggest per pixel ADC. He could be wrong, his title isn't a technical one.
The description I offered was that stated by DPR https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6717086661/sony-a9-iii-image-quality-dynamic-range-analysis . Looking around at other reviews, most don't go into detail. DPR's take makes the most sense and the article quoting the Sony marketing guy has gone through two translations, so hard to call.

EDIT. An A/D converter at each pixel would not be helpful in that any A/D converter has finite (and typically fixed) conversion time. In order to change shutter speed, there has to be a mechanism to move the sensor charge very quickly to a place where it can be stored for conversion, so the split pixel description is the most logical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The description I offered was that stated by DPR https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6717086661/sony-a9-iii-image-quality-dynamic-range-analysis . Looking around at other reviews, most don't go into detail. DPR's take makes the most sense and the article quoting the Sony marketing guy has gone through two translations, so hard to call.

EDIT. An A/D converter at each pixel would not be helpful in that any A/D converter has finite (and typically fixed) conversion time. In order to change shutter speed, there has to be a mechanism to move the sensor charge very quickly to a place where it can be stored for conversion, so the split pixel description is the most logical.
I agree with your edit, just found it interesting.

What I'm not clear on is why the charge storage diode has to fight for the same volume as the photo-diode, as opposed to living behind it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I agree with your edit, just found it interesting.

What I'm not clear on is why the charge storage diode has to fight for the same volume as the photo-diode, as opposed to living behind it.
Maybe a couple of reasons. It has always been difficult to make the high purity photodiode layer deep enough (that was one of the drivers for BSI sensors), so vertical stacking would be a challenge and this is a BSI sensor, so "behind" would actually be "in front of" right in the midst of the wiring layers that are isolated by polysilicon (not epitaxy). The other issue is that the "storage diode" has to be shielded from light or it also becomes a photodetector at an unwanted time and that "shield" (likely metal) would be in the way of charge transfer. To Sony's credit, this is not a simple chip design, but physics is still the boss. The joint Panasonic/Fuji effort with an organic photosensitive layer was really interesting, but all has been quiet on that front for several years. https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/en180214-2

I don't know if Panasonic is still even developing sensors. The challenges with the above design AFAIK were power consumption and lifetime and this work was done in conjunction with Fuji ( I think the film division) who developed the material for organic layer.

Another approach that has been investigated is the use of an LCD shutter in front of the sensor, but due to polarization requirements ,LCDs basically eat one stop of light right out the gate and also have issues with enough opacity and speed to work as an effective shutter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The one series has never been high megapixel. It is more a sports camera. This is the highest megapixel count ever on 1-series. EOS 1D X Mark III has just 20 megapixels.
So you're saying Canon is living in the past? Because the competition flagships are both high megapixel, and one of them is due for replacement late this year or early next.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So you're saying Canon is living in the past? Because the competition flagships are both high megapixel, and one of them is due for replacement late this year or early next.
Canon will listen to and address the needs of their customers. Why should Canon mimic their competitors? It’s more likely that Sony and Nikon offer high MP flagships because Canon does not.

As I’ve said before, when the 800-lb gorilla wants the bamboo the smaller mammals need to find a different food source.

Upvote 0