The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Completely agree with you, I work for a R & D company and we never design "from scratch" components. That's just not how the industry works.

I'm tired of people spreading baseless nonsense without any knowledge. These claims just muddy the waters more then they need to be.
And yet, many car-industry examples seem to contradict you.
EOS R1: I agree with you, it will never be a "from scratch" design, no chance (fortunately).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would be beyond shocked if the R1 had a lower than 45 megapixel sensor with what we are currently expecting as a flagship body. There's been wild speculation at 100 megapixels and such online. I suspect it falls in the 45-85 megapixel range.

However. If the body is positioned differently and they plan something like an R1s, harkening back to the 1Ds days, I can see launching something lower resolution potentially and moving high resolution to another body.

R5 MK II. My hopes would be Canon building on R5's sensor design, but they could now make this high resolution platform while breaking off and created a new body to replace the R5C with a different sensor.

This is actually a difficult position currently as there is a demand for a higher resolution stills oriented camera as well as a new Canon Cinema EOS camera.

My real hopes in terms of the product line, whatever they are called.
- Build on R5's sensor tech, perhaps go to BSI, global shutter not needed just yet, allow for full 3:2 recording up to 60fps, perhaps 120fps in 17:9, this could be cinema camera.
- A very focused high resolution, high dynamic range stills RF mount body. I'd lean closer to the 75-85 megapixel realm given what's possible. 65-ish also not a bad choice.

There's lots of new in camera features I'm looking for, but I'll save that for another moment.

The R5 and R5C have been wildly successful and represent a very good value. Clearly these are things to build on. An R5C in say something closer to C70 body or a new C500/C700 class camera, but smaller, with internal ND would sell well if there are improvements to the sensor design for instance. And for stills the R5 as is wonderful, but for those who knew how to get the most out of a 5Ds or 5DsR or are looking at "middle format" medium format sensors for professional work, Canon needs to make up some space here.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The 1DS had the same resolution as the 5D.
Not quite, and the 1DS series was sunsetted long ago. Why? Well, they either did it 1) to anger and disappoint forum dwellers like us who live and breathe spec sheets, or 2) because the market for that type of camera was not strong enough to support it. Which do you think is the more likely reason?

A nebulous rumor such as 'not as high res as people think' is pretty useless. if i think its going to be 45mp and now I'm worried its only going to be 30, and you think it was going to be 100mp and now you're crushed it might only be 80, and that girl over in the corner thought it might e 35mp and is now worried it could be 24.....

There's no baseline against which to speculate, other than past speculation or individual impressions. Likely all 3 of us are worrying over an outcome that we are wrong about. Best history is that the R1 has been blazing fast and rugged, and not always the highest resolution camera around. In this day and age, it could do that with anywhere from 24-50mp I would guess.

Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I would be beyond shocked if the R1 had a lower than 45 megapixel sensor with what we are currently expecting as a flagship body. There's been wild speculation at 100 megapixels and such online. I suspect it falls in the 45-85 megapixel range.

However. If the body is positioned differently and they plan something like an R1s, harkening back to the 1Ds days, I can see launching something lower resolution potentially and moving high resolution to another body.
The 1D X-series was 18, 20 and 20 MP. But you'd be shocked if they don't at least double and more likely triple or quadruple that MP count. Shocked, you say. Mmmmkay.

Remember the 5Ds? If there's a 'high resolution' (by current standards) body, it will most likely be a 5-series, not a 1-series.

This is actually a difficult position currently as there is a demand for a higher resolution stills oriented camera
Of course there is demand. At least 5 people on this very forum have demanded it. LOL. The real question is the magnitude of that demand from people who would actually purchase such a camera. Who do you think is in a better position to gauge that demand – you, or Canon?

Keep in mind that Canon remains the dominant player in the market, so citing the fact that Sony and Nikon offer higher MP bodies is a red herring – you could argue that Sony and Nikon are doing that because customers want it, and while some do a more likely reason is that they offer those bodies because Canon does not. It's why Fuji focuses on high end APS-C and MF. It's why Sony abandoned DSLRs, and why they shifted to an emphasis on FF MILC just after Canon launched an APS-C MILC.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Some people are finding this rumor 'inconsistent'. But with what? I suspect they mean 'inconsistent with MY wants/needs/expectations'. Sorry, but BFD.

OTOH, this rumor seems perfectly consistent with Canon's treatment of the 1D X-series bodies all along. They declaratively united the 1D and 1Ds into a single line, and did not prioritize high sensor resolution for that line. The 'high MP R1' that some people want is what would actually be inconsistent, whereas a modest MP count and overall blazing fast performance and reliability would be perfectly consistent with the recent 1-series bodies.

I see people saying, but what about the R3II? First of all, will there even be an R3II? It could be the R3 was a one-off, Canon said at the time there would be an R1 but the technology was not sufficiently advanced. Apparently now, it is. So maybe no R3II at all. Alternatively, an R3II could have a global shutter, it seems unlikely Canon would use that in the R1. In any case, if the R1 comes out in Q2, it will be 2.5 years after the launch of the R3 so potential buyers would include both 1DX II/III owners and R3 owners.
A very factual post. I always kind of wished the "1" would be higher R, but if history is any prediction of the future it will likely be 24-36 MP range. Good reason to also have a R5 as a second camera.

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Canon 1 series professional photographers shoot both indoors and outdoors, so they need bigger pixels for low-light performance. They also need speed - processing and offload to media (so dual CF- E USB 4.0 cards that can transfer 3 GB per sec!). Shooting indoor Olympic events or the press events and medal ceremonies require no more than 24 MP to 32 MP. 4K video at 120 or even 240 fps would be better for slow motion than any 8K video - nobody views 8K video content on their smartphone or tablet anywhere in the world. The Canon R1 will be used by pro photogs at France 2024. These folks with 600 f4 or 800 f5.6 lenses care about speed, AF and DR. All Canon have to do is include an AI chip alongside the new X2S processor (or whatever they will call it) for improved AF subject recognition (like Sony have done with the A7RV), or...if they have developed QPAF (we still do not know for sure), then that would be a game changer.

As an R5 user I am happy that the R1 will be released before the R5II, that way, it shall share some of the new tech (presumably same processor, similar AF etc.), and moreover I am ecstatic that my old R5 is still the flagship:cool: Canon mirrorless body!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon 1 series professional photographers shoot both indoors and outdoors, so they need bigger pixels for low-light performance. They also need speed - processing and offload to media (so dual CF- E USB 4.0 cards that can transfer 3 GB per sec!). Shooting indoor Olympic events or the press events and medal ceremonies require no more than 24 MP to 32 MP. 4K video at 120 or even 240 fps would be better for slow motion than any 8K video - nobody views 8K video content on their smartphone or tablet anywhere in the world. The Canon R1 will be used by pro photogs at France 2024. These folks with 600 f4 or 800 f5.6 lenses care about speed, AF and DR. All Canon have to do is include an AI chip alongside the new X2S processor (or whatever they will call it) for improved AF subject recognition (like Sony have done with the A7RV), or...if they have developed QPAF (we still do not know for sure), then that would be a game changer.

As an R5 user I am happy that the R1 will be released before the R5II, that way, it shall share some of the new tech (presumably same processor, similar AF etc.), and moreover I am ecstatic that my old R5 is still the flagship:cool: Canon mirrorless body!
A low mp R1 will not be the tool of choice all around Paris. Maybe fotogs may choose an R1 for sporting events. But it is not the tool of choice to use carry all around Paris during the summer.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

A low mp R1 will not be the tool of choice all around Paris. Maybe fotogs may choose an R1 for sporting events. But it is not going to be the tool of choice to use and carry all around Paris during the summer.

Upvote 0

The stadium lights are excellent at the Olympics so that's not a problem. Most photographers are sending pics via FTP wired or wireless or download only tagged images from card to laptop so card speed is also not a bottleneck. AF is already very good in say a R3. I think the photographers have many other challenges: time schedule, finding a good spot, fatigue, wifi or 4/5 g connections that not work etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
If the R1 comes in at 32-36 MP and is a stacked sensor (as opposed to global shutter), then what would be the selling point of the R1 over today's R3?

32 megapixels (as opposed to the R3's 24 megapixels) is a 15% increase in linear resolution, not something to write home about.

QPAF? It will have to be seen how much of a leap QPAF is over DPAF (if QPAF is indeed available). I suspect in real world situations it might not make that much of a difference. Other brands do very well in autofocus with just phase detect pixels scattered across the sensor, so I think algorithms matter more than the sensor tech itself at this point.

More fps is a given, but the R3 already has 30 fps and I don't think people are complaining it is too slow. I guess the R6 Mark II can do 40 fps, so we can expect at least that. Even 50 or 60 fps doesn't seem that compelling over an R3, unless they bump it up to 100+ fps with AE/AF.

Build quality over an R3? I think the R3 has 1 series build quality. The R3 even uses the same battery traditionally reserved for the 1 series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Some people are finding this rumor 'inconsistent'. But with what? I suspect they mean 'inconsistent with MY wants/needs/expectations'. Sorry, but BFD.

OTOH, this rumor seems perfectly consistent with Canon's treatment of the 1D X-series bodies all along. They declaratively united the 1D and 1Ds into a single line, and did not prioritize high sensor resolution for that line. The 'high MP R1' that some people want is what would actually be inconsistent, whereas a modest MP count and overall blazing fast performance and reliability would be perfectly consistent with the recent 1-series bodies.

I see people saying, but what about the R3II? First of all, will there even be an R3II? It could be the R3 was a one-off, Canon said at the time there would be an R1 but the technology was not sufficiently advanced. Apparently now, it is. So maybe no R3II at all. Alternatively, an R3II could have a global shutter, it seems unlikely Canon would use that in the R1. In any case, if the R1 comes out in Q2, it will be 2.5 years after the launch of the R3 so potential buyers would include both 1DX II/III owners and R3 owners.
Sorry but what's "BFD"? :p

For me the rumor is inconsistent with other rumors about the R1 and the R3 II (same as for the 35mm and others).
They're all rumors so I will wait for official announcements. Same as for the 35mm (although I'm a lil' bit more invested in that one)...
In the past we had 2 families of 1D bodies, a APS-H fast low res body and a FF slower high-res body. Canon could very well decide to do the same with the R3 / R1 couple, or to keep the R1 in the wake of the 1D X type. I do not know. I only know what I hope it will happen...

I've had a 1D X and, while there was a lot to like about it, and that's the reason I would be interested in a R1, I have decided long time ago that I am not interested in a body with less mp than a R5. If both R1 and R5 II won't improve on resolution I will happily carry on with the R5 and invest in more glass and wait for the following generation.

But for sure I won't decide anything based on rumors. I will wait for the announcements (with specs).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If the R1 comes in at 32-36 MP and is a stacked sensor (as opposed to global shutter), then what would be the selling point of the R1 over today's R3?
The ‘1’? Probably dual matching card slots, a faster sensor readout (the R3 is still slightly slower than a mechanical shutter), plus the customizations normally found on the 1-series (ability to set a frame rate, not predefined choices).

Oh, and AF point-linked spot metering.

QPAF? It will have to be seen how much of a leap QPAF is over DPAF (if QPAF is indeed available). I suspect in real world situations it might not make that much of a difference.
The R3 (like all DPAF-only cameras) cannot focus on horizontal lines. Also, it has trouble with extreme defocus (better PDAF sensors had specific line pairs for extreme defocus detection). Hopefully the R1 addresses both.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0