Canon EOS R3 Mark II planned for 2025

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I don't think you can make a great decision in a store's conditions.
I can imagine such a scenario:
  1. Contemporary equipment is (indistingushable) comparable performance-wise*
  2. Minor but tangible factors become decisive.
  3. = 1. + 2. The lens in the flesh is too heavy, too big...

* As confirmed in a variety of tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I think it'll be an actual release announcement rather than just a development announcement. I think the expectation is for initial public release of production bodies, at least to select pros, in Q1/Q2 24.

The specs for the R1, which have been kept remarkably quiet given its lengthy gestation, are absolutely going to tell us how the R3 and R1 will fit together going forward.
I hope you are correct. I would love to see a public release of the R1 in Q1-Q2 2024. I think the specs will be kept secret until 1-2 days before the official announcement.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I hope you are correct. I would love to see a public release of the R1 in Q1-Q2 2024. I think the specs will be kept secret until 1-2 days before the official announcement.
CP+ is in late February. One possibility is a development announcement for the R1 there, with availability a few months later (i.e., Q2). Many of the top-line specs would be included in the development announcement, but not the MP count.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I suspect Sony will continue to have an advantage in sensor technology, but in 1H24 Canon needs to minimize its impact and supersede Sony sensors that have been on the market 1-3 years.
Sony's sensors are so amazing that they'll give you up to $1000 to trade in your old camera and buy one of them.

Desparation.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oh Snap a 33 megapixel, high dynamic range, quad pixel, stacked 16 bit global shutter R3 mark II would be awesome! I made up the megapixel count part (and all the other stuff)! but... Having all of those things would make me an incredible photographer! I\'d be like the Gordon Ramsey of photography!
Swearing a lot? :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0
It was Canon's first foray into a “professional” camera body for sports shooters, photojournalists and the like.

seriously? Previous 1-series cameras beg to differ.

As for the R3 (and future R3 mkII) vs the competition, not really seeing anything interesting from Sony or Nikon.
A9 mkIII has global shutter, yes, but at the cost of DR and a ridiculous pricetag for what isn't even supposed to be their top dog. If you need high flash sync speed and have some very quick strobes, good on you. You should already be using something with a leaf shutter though. Price difference vs a Hasselblad X2D is small but the difference in image quality will be huge.
Nikon Z9 is somewhat meh, good option but nothing special, expecting similarly for the Z9 mkII. It's a bit like the D6 vs the 1Dx mkIII. Or it wuold have been if the R3 hadn't had eye-controlled AF.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
CP+ is in late February. One possibility is a development announcement for the R1 there, with availability a few months later (i.e., Q2). Many of the top-line specs would be included in the development announcement, but not the MP count.
Good point. Moreover, if the specs state 8K video then we know the MP count is 45 or greater, which is good enough for me. Personally, 45 MP would be more than enough.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
This is very interesting. I seriously thought that the R3 was a test bed for the R1
It might well be the opposite. The R1 may be a futuristic testbed for every kind of technology they can think of, at prices that don't make sense for most working professionals. The features that pros then scream for loudest would filter down to the R3 or R5. Example: 20+ stop DR, global shutter, electronic ND, all of which are provided by a sensor design they patented four years ago or so and which was covered on this forum.

Upvote 0
I hope not. What the 5D3 did to the 1DS line should serve as a lesson. Nikon had the same issue with the D3X.

Correction: 5D2
The 1Ds range was the curiosity. No one wanted to pay for a 1D series landscape high mp camera. There are more 5D series cameras in the hands of working professional photographers than any 1D series. Very few pro's actually bought the 1D series. Most pros need a pair of identical bodies. The size, weight and cost of a pair of 1Ds cameras is prohibitive. Canon has made more profit from the 5D series than any other camera range. Which, I belive is why the R5 and R6 are the central backbone to the Canon mirrorless system. The R5 is the most versatile camera ever made, in my opinion with the R6 followed very closely behind. If Canon decided to make a pair of pro cameras, the R1 and R3, I'm not sure there is much of a market for both of them. However as halo items...that's a different story.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The R5 is undoubtedly versatile, but my experience with the Af system of the 5D3 and then getting a used 1Dx (Mk I) made it abundantly clear that I didn't want an RF version of a 5D camera.

The R3 is the right choice for me.
You need one that takes the motorcycle wheels at 1/160s and the rest at 1/2000s to up your keeper rate!

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 1Ds range was the curiosity. No one wanted to pay for a 1D series landscape high mp camera. There are more 5D series cameras in the hands of working professional photographers than any 1D series. Very few pro's actually bought the 1D series. Most pros need a pair of identical bodies. The size, weight and cost of a pair of 1Ds cameras is prohibitive. Canon has made more profit from the 5D series than any other camera range. Which, I belive is why the R5 and R6 are the central backbone to the Canon mirrorless system. The R5 is the most versatile camera ever made, in my opinion with the R6 followed very closely behind. If Canon decided to make a pair of pro cameras, the R1 and R3, I'm not sure there is much of a market for both of them. However as halo items...that's a different story.
Halos are for saints. So perhaps there's a market in the Vatican.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
You need one that takes the motorcycle wheels at 1/160s and the rest at 1/2000s to up your keeper rate!
You may be thinking of panning with the car or motorcycle, typically at 1/60s. The background is blurry and the wheels are blurry but the car, bike and/or rider are sharp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now there's an interesting idea - have the camera take multiple pictures at the same time so you can merge them in seamlessly in post.

Single lens reflex, double image sensor

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Now there's an interesting idea - have the camera take multiple pictures at the same time so you can merge them in seamlessly in post.

Single lens reflex, double image sensor
It should be possible with a prism separating the light after exiting the lens. You would still have to choose which parts of each photo to use, so it's hard to think some direction or motion blur wouldn't be good enough, all things considered.

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
This proves that Canon no longer sell one single R3, due to the overwhelming success of the Soni A 9 III.
The R3 simply couldn't beat 250 native ISO and 12 DR of the greatest camera of all times! :ROFLMAO:
Jared Polin has published a video (link) in which he compares the R3 with the A9 III (with firmware 1.0). The title is : “High ISO review: Not what I expected”.

Upvote 0