Canon EOS R3 Mark II planned for 2025

Sep 20, 2020
Yes, but those are real. Given Canon’s treatment of their APS-C lineup, I suspect the camera you wish for won’t be.
Theoretically Canon could make a global shutter APS-C camera for $6K USD with decent DR.
The crop would actually be better for birders but there would be much whining.
The 1D had an APS-H crop.
The original even had a global shutter.
Canon could theoretically do that as well.
APS-H would be around the size of the RED Komodo.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This is very interesting. I seriously thought that the R3 was a test bed for the R1, but I am likely incorrect if this rumor is true. Looks like we should expect a higher resolution professional camera and a lower resolution professional camera. Interesting times ahead.
It still might have been.
It was Canon's first stacked sensor.
That would not mean that an R3 II was not planned all along.

Upvote 0
So I gather the present R3 will be the forgotten child now the R1 will be soon released and then the R3II 18 months later. Shame, I am enjoying the R3. Will admit, it took me a while to find the sweet spot with the AF. Also, owning the 1dxmk2 and the R3 in my bag I am content but of course, before purchasing the R3 I saw the many firmware updates. I was happy to see CANON looking to improve the flagship/non-flagship camera. When Canon released firmware 1.2.0 with the potential of shooting 195 FPS I felt like the potential of this camera was limitless. I don't know what I am looking for but I thought more features would've been released and to my surprise, the since-released firmware updates have not welcomed back the potential to shoot so many fps. Now with the R3II rumors, I guess any huge updates will not happen. It's okay, I love this camera. Just curious to see what its full potential could be.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This proves that Canon no longer sell one single R3, due to the overwhelming success of the Soni A 9 III.
The R3 simply couldn't beat 250 native ISO and 12 DR of the greatest camera of all times! :ROFLMAO:
On the 12th DR of Christmas my true love sent to me 12 DRoners DRoning....

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I'm perplexed you can get a solid R3 II rumor but we still haven't gotten anything solid on the flagship which hasn't even had a development announcement yet?
I would expect a development announcement for the R1 in Q1 2024 around the same time Canon officially announces the R5 Mk2.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Even better would be an R7-2 with a 24MP APS-C global shutter and R6-2 size and ergonomics, including BG-R10 battery grip capability.
And R100 price, that's the most important factor.
Theoretically Canon could make a global shutter APS-C camera for $6K USD with decent DR.
The crop would actually be better for birders but there would be much whining.
The 1D had an APS-H crop.
The original even had a global shutter.
Canon could theoretically do that as well.
APS-H would be around the size of the RED Komodo.
Original 1D is CCD... Tbh R7 with 200-800 is enough for most birders. If they need to shoot in dark, then their bank account is the first thing to upgrade.
It will either be because of Sony or Nikon.
Canon can't think on their own.
They need the "bright minds" from youtube comment section and DPR comment section.

Upvote 0
Uhhhh, wish
R1 = 50+MP stacked, strong hybrid specs
R3ii = 24~45MP GS
R5 = 45MP stacked
R5s/R4 = 60+ non-stacked, traditional BSI/FSI

Wishlist
Uhhhhh, is it wishlist time? :)

mine would be for (end of 2025/ starting 2026):
R1 = 61 MP + stacked sensor
R3mkii = 24- 30 MP GS
R5mkii = 50 MP and maybe stacked (then the R1 should get at least 61 MP). If not stacked, then R1 gets 55 MP
R6mkiii = 34 MP or 28 MP stacked...
R7 mkii = don´t MP, don´t care if it is stacked or, just keep the price point and offer an additional BG!!!
R8mkii = 28 MP, just minor updates
R9 = Oh yes, a super cheap entry level FF

Stripped down. my "wish list" would be a R6mkiii with 30MP + x MPs and a high res mode for landscape shots. I can and will also do with other Canon offerings at some point.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
And R100 price, that's the most important factor.
I was thinking about $500 over the current price of the R7, maybe $1000. I just bought a refurb R6-2 at a ridiculously low price so, with my R7, I'm good for at least 5 several years. Using B&H prices, an R6-2 and R7 together can be purchased for $1300 less than the R3 alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I would expect a development announcement for the R1 in Q1 2024 around the same time Canon officially announces the R5 Mk2.
I think it'll be an actual release announcement rather than just a development announcement. I think the expectation is for initial public release of production bodies, at least to select pros, in Q1/Q2 24.

The specs for the R1, which have been kept remarkably quiet given its lengthy gestation, are absolutely going to tell us how the R3 and R1 will fit together going forward.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^^ Yes, agree.

The R5m2 is also part of the puzzle. With the R1, R5m2, and eventually R3m2, Canon must bring cameras to photographers that better the A1/Z8/Z9 and are comnpetitive with the A1m2/A9m3. My guess is that both the R1 and R5m2 will have stacked sensors, one with 45MP and the other with >60MP. Canon can differentiate the two with eye control, form factor, weather sealing, autofocus, and especially readout speed.

I suspect Sony will continue to have an advantage in sensor technology, but in 1H24 Canon needs to minimize its impact and supersede Sony sensors that have been on the market 1-3 years.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
... With the R1, R5m2, and eventually R3m2, Canon must bring cameras to photographers that better the A1/Z8/Z9 and are competitive with the A1m2/A9m3....
No they don't. And how do you decide what is "better"? People who are invested in the highest end gear are unlikely to switch systems - and quite frankly, aren't so stupid as to think tiny, minor differences in specs are going to make any difference.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
@downhill on water probably decides what is better based on his immediate emotional reaction to casually looking at specs and little or no actual research / testing.
I remember someone posting a comment like, "I tried Canon's XXX lens in a store and decided to go with another company." I don't think you can make a great decision in a store's conditions.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I hope not. What the 5D3 did to the 1DS line should serve as a lesson. Nikon had the same issue with t or he D3X.

Correction: 5D2
I was never all that impressed with the 5D2. I had one briefly. It may have had the same sensor as the 1DS III, but certainly not the same feeling.

Got my first 1DS III in 2008. At one point I owned five, then moved on to the 1DX/C, then the 1DX II. Now playing with the R3.

Never really did consider the 5D3 or 5D4. I didn't like the way they felt in my hands. But I guess enough people did.

Upvote 0