What do people want to see in the Canon EOS R1? PetaPixel gives their thoughts

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Everything sounds reasonable.
Personally, I would still prefer a mechanical shutter.
But if you have no more rolling shutter issues because of global shutter and if s/n isn't differing from continuous operation to mechanical shutter operation, the only reason for a mechanical shutter would be to protect the sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Autofocus, Autofocus and Autofocus.

This isn't meant to say anything bad about the current AF on the R5 I shoot (I haven't shot an R3), but the R5 does so much very well already, for me to want the next level up camera, it is eye-detect on faster and faster moving subjects, low light autofocus (animals in shadows), and faster AF lock.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Everything sounds reasonable.
Personally, I would still prefer a mechanical shutter.
But if you have no more rolling shutter issues because of global shutter and if s/n isn't differing from continuous operation to mechanical shutter operation, the only reason for a mechanical shutter would be to protect the sensor.
Stacked sensors are not global shutters. None of these cameras read all the data at once, they have a fast enough readout to limit or eliminate rolling shutter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Autofocus, Autofocus and Autofocus.

This isn't meant to say anything bad about the current AF on the R5 I shoot (I haven't shot an R3), but the R5 does so much very well already, for me to want the next level up camera, it is eye-detect on faster and faster moving subjects, low light autofocus (animals in shadows), and faster AF lock.
It's time for insect eye AF.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It's time for insect eye AF.
Already working pretty well on my R6m2.
Dragonflies mostly get the focus on the eye.
Other insects, too.
Slight problems with butterflies and eyespots on the wings.
Edit: Yes, I know that it is no "real" insect eye AF!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Stacked sensors are not global shutters. None of these cameras read all the data at once, they have a fast enough readout to limit or eliminate rolling shutter.
That's why I was using a more general phrase. I do not know yet what the final R1 sensor will be. Not sure about stacked yet.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2022
I'm not in the market for such a camera, but I still think the ergonomics, modes selection and overall layout were much better on the 1D series or even the 5D series.

Built-in ND filters would be really nice, especially if you use a lens that doesn't accept front filters.

For the rest, my bet is on the dream specifications + really high price tag combo rather than dropping the price of the R3 and placing the R1 slightly above the R3. Reason being imho: why would it take so long to release the R1 if just for slight specs bump? Might be wrong ofc...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
We have been talking about the inevitable Canon EOS R1 for as long as the EOS R system has existed. The talk peaked once the Canon EOS R3 was announced and released. The Chris Niccolls at Petapixel have chimed in on what he’d like to see in the Canon EOS R1 when it comes in

See full article...
I would be happy with 45MP/60MP stacked sensor with 60FPS. HUGE dynamic range and quad pixel AF. More into stills so video is not my game. I don't mind the mechanical shutter as much. cooling in stills is not an issue, even though better cooling system will be needed for the high FPS. Also need to have a VERY fast recording time. and last thing last, it have to be under 2K$

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
QPAF. That's how I interpreted Canon's comments after the R3, that the R1 was coming but the technology wasn't ready – the inability of all Canon MILCs to focus on horizontal lines.
Yes, QPAF would be the feature I expect the R1 to have (finally!).
There are lots of other stuff it could/should have, but having no QPAF in it while other cameras (like the new Olympus OM1 having it for over a year) would be embarrassing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My wishlist would be:
- (Stacked) 45-60mpx sensor with great dynamic range and low light performance
- Quad pixel AF
- Form factor similar to R3 (not too much heavier)
- Pre-shutter capture (or pre-shot mode or however they call it). A mode where it continuously saves shots to cache when half-pressing the shutter, and saving/capturing the previous 40 or so shots upon shutter press.
- Custom burst rate options (not just 3/15/30, but being able to choose 6 or 8 or whatever in between)
- EVF comparable to R3 (with a bit more eye control accuracy)
- Not overly expensive (haha in my dreams)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0