Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

Jul 21, 2010
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It’s nice, however the OVF Sim mode and the Exposure Sim with DoF Preview mode are mutually exclusive. Personally, I find the latter more useful and that’s how I have my R3 configured.
Yes in a perfect world we could have the HDR EVF with exposure simulation. Perhaps that's something that will come with the R5 Mark II. But in the meantime, I can see this OVF simulation being useful for certain types of photography. I feel that it could work well for street photography.

Upvote 0
I don't know - part of me is starting to wonder if a replacement is coming sooner than anticipated. There seem to have been an unusual number of incentives on Canon cameras and the R5 in particular over the last month or so - more than I can remember happening at any other time. I could have sworn something similar happened right before the R6II announcement, but again it's all anecdotal. I guess we'll know within a year or so!

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
A 400 megapixel jpeg:

IBIS High resolution shot JPEG: 24576 x 16384

Nice! I suspect the RAW will just be the 9 individual shots like how the in-camera HDR and focus bracketing modes work. Unfortunately according to the spec sheet, the video recording time limit remains 29:59, but who knows! Hope springs eternal. Either way, sounds like a promising update to look forward to.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
the video recording time limit remains 29:59
If going according to that spec sheet, then there is nothing else changing whatsoever. There's no mention of focus stacking, no mention of false colour, no mention of LBC, PSB, bike, plane & train tracking. And it being "only" 1.8.1 makes them less likely to be included as well. Damn that's frustrating. Buuuut:
Hope springs eternal
I agree. Hopefully that's neither the last update, nor this spec sheet being complete. Just look at what they've done to the German 100-500 site. You don't need to be able to read German to know that there's something off here... (e. g. too short of specs, extender not compatible???)

EDIT: The Canon-Europe-Site has exactly the same (mis-)information

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marlow

Canon EOS R5 C
Dec 27, 2022
No it's not. True - EU had a tax on Videocameras - defined as something that could record more than 30 minutes. But that tax hase been removed several years ago

It was removed, yes. But only after the R5 and R6 launched, which is why the rules still apply to these cameras and a reclassification plus back tax for all units sold prior to the law being removed would be needed.

Something, that would be a logistical nightmare.

And it wasn't only the EU.

/M

Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
It was removed, yes. But only after the R5 and R6 launched, which is why the rules still apply to these cameras and a reclassification plus back tax for all units sold prior to the law being removed would be needed.

Something, that would be a logistical nightmare.

And it wasn't only the EU.

/M

I think you're spreading misinformation here.

Read this post to understand the current situation:

Tariffs were abolished long before the R5 was registered. I think your reference to 'back tax' and 'reclassification' is incorrect. If you think it's true, and contradicts the post I linked to above, please provide links and evidence.

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
'
It's been a while... any more news on this firmware update?
I wish. Beside the early leak. Nothing. We'll have to patiently wait. And anticipate. And procrastinate. And Estimate. And videotape. And motivate. and of course hope. Doesn't rhyme, but still...

Upvote 0