Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
v1.8.1. I'm glad R5 users got pixel shift (for those that wanted it). Otherwise, this FW update was a little underwhelming considering the hype. Us R5 C folks got virtually nothing. I'm grateful for any improvements but was hoping for a little more. Only thing I can assume is that the EL-5 release delay might have impacted what was included in this release.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I'm really not sure what has happened just now. Is this it? Were there other features that were supposed to be included? Are we just seeing a postponement of other things until a real v2.0 can drop. Will 2.0 ever come? Will it be as major as this one should've been? Were did that teased "feature" information come? If I recall correctly there were supposed to be unique features. I just hope this isn't the last of it.
Canon: next one: v2.0 you know we want it, you know you can do it.

EDIT: It said "sometime this year", sooo this might not have been the one this post was talking about. I guess there's nothing we can do but wait and see. Maybe at NAB, maybe paid, maybe in the next cycle in and around July. My hope didn't die yet.

EDIT2: Yes as expected: HDR PQ and IBIS High-Res don't mix. Thus no HEIF.

EDIT3: No RAW. All JPEG. ~175MB

EDIT4: Here in Europe it is dated as 15.03.2023, so I guess it was only delayed because of an internal bug report, hence the name 1.8.1 Maybe this is an indicator that it's not the one everyone was talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
v1.8.1. I'm glad R5 users got pixel shift (for those that wanted it). Otherwise, this FW update was a little underwhelming considering the hype. Us R5 C folks got virtually nothing. I'm grateful for any improvements but was hoping for a little more. Only thing I can assume is that the EL-5 release delay might have impacted what was included in this release.
A new update has been released for R5C. :)
(y)

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Marlow

Canon EOS R5 C
Dec 27, 2022
I think you're spreading misinformation here.

Well, you might want to revise your thinking.

The Canon EOS R5 was announced on 9. July 2020.

There was discussion to abolish the duty tarriffs for video cameras in the EU by 2019, but in fact, this didn't get fully implemented until 01. January 2022. Somehow Canon managed to skate the EOS R3 in just before that, as it was the first stills camera from Canon, that didn't have the 30 minute limit. They likely calculated the tarriffs in for the few months it would take, like Panasonic has long done with the likes of the GH5 and later GH series cameras, knowing it would be a non-issue a few months later.

Here is the revised tariff code listed for each country with it's effective date. At the bottom of the page are the previous tariff codes listed with the year, they still were active and that were replaced by this new tariff code. HS Code 85258900 - Television, cameras, digital

/M

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
'

I wish. Beside the early leak. Nothing. We'll have to patiently wait. And anticipate. And procrastinate. And Estimate. And videotape. And motivate. and of course hope. Doesn't rhyme, but still...
Well... we got the firmware... and it was nothing I wanted. :(

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
What is this?
I didn't write this, but it describes what it does.

This mode buffers images while the shutter button is depressed. When you hit the shutter, up to one second of images are recorded before shutter release. It is like going back in time. And instead of missing those quick action photos, you now have captured them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I didn't write this, but it describes what it does.

This mode buffers images while the shutter button is depressed. When you hit the shutter, up to one second of images are recorded before shutter release. It is like going back in time. And instead of missing those quick action photos, you now have captured them.
Funny, I "invented" that in 1985, after getting a "digital delay" for music processing, which basically writes your guitar signal into a buffer, then reads it out 476ms later or whatever.

What I noticed was that drive-through restaurants in the US have a "push to talk" system and the workers often press late and release early, so you hear "lcome to Wendy's, may I take your ord". So my idea was a digital delay that, when the pushbutton was pressed, it'd start playing to the drive through speaker what the employee said 100ms previously. And releasing the talk button would be a signal to stop playing the speaker after 200ms.

At that time a digital delay processor was $300-$800 so no chance anyone would put one on a drivethrough, but you could probably have done it for a dollar by 2000.

Upvote 0
The Digic X Microcontroller SoC (that's not just a Microprocessor) family uses the same kernel features, but i assue the variants are basicly in the implemented subsystems like co-processors or specialized custom processing units on the chip. Well, a Pixel-Shift with a raw output would be great for me, but i assume, this needs to much processing load and consumes to much battery power. The R5 temperature development is well known since they was introduced into the marked and was several times a focus of a firmware revision. I would like to have such RAW Pixel Shift, but i also understand, that this needs more as just software hack.

Upvote 0