What do people want to see in the Canon EOS R1? PetaPixel gives their thoughts

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
No thanks. I don’t want a camera that bricks if a file is corrupted. I don’t want to try and maintain folders and files from the back of the camera. I don’t want a TB of files on my camera to sift through. I don’t want to be limited to a single TB of files if I’m on an extended trip or, alternatively, have to bring along a laptop and drive and spend hours transferring files while traveling.
I was assuming the onboard memory would be in addition to having a memory card slot too....

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'd be curious to know who on this forum plans to buy an R1? Not in a facetious way, but genuinely curious. Personally just an observer on this one. Highest I'd go is an R3 at some point down the line.
I might.
I want to see what it has vs the R5 ii......

I've kept my 5D3 while I've been playing with MF film, Fuji GFX100 and Leica M10M....just to have some variety.

I'm coming back hard to Canon with either the R1 or R5ii....I just need to see which one feeds my needs vs bang for the buck...etc.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Preroll for stills
On the forefront of my nature photographer's wishlist is a global shutter, faster FPS, improvement of autofocus and Preroll for stills at highest FPS. Every bird videographer knows this and enjoys it whenever available. See Ninja V video recorder for example.

In short: With preroll you need to hit the shutter button just within two seconds AFTER the bird has flown away - then you have all the pics and flight poses of it's departure. Sounds like magic? No, not for any camera brand with modern technology. It's just like a ring buffer that constantly fills in memory but not stored till shutter is release. When this is going to happen?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Preroll for stills
On the forefront of my nature photographer's wishlist is a global shutter, faster FPS, improvement of autofocus and Preroll for stills at highest FPS. Every bird videographer knows this and enjoys it whenever available. See Ninja V video recorder for example.

In short: With preroll you need to hit the shutter button just within two seconds AFTER the bird has flown away - then you have all the pics and flight poses of it's departure. Sounds like magic? No, not for any camera brand with modern technology. It's just like a ring buffer that constantly fills in memory but not stored till shutter is release. When this is going to happen?
The R6II and R8 already have this, but only half a second buffer.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Anything with a high FPS may as well have video.
For Canon that is the R10 and everything above.
The 4K video on the R100 is pretty compromised but the 1080p is fine.
I am not sure it would be any cheaper with no video whatsoever.
I can't imagine it would be cheaper. Same hardware. The cost to load firmware and software would be the same. Supporting a stills only line in addition to the standard line would be expensive. I've got a hunch that the stills only market is tiny in these days of video. In my opinion, stills only would not profit at all. It's funny to me that people spending so much on a body would worry about nickels and dimes. I have to wonder if those people even own high end gear to begin with. It might very well be that some of them want high end stills performance and can't afford it. They have the mistaken notion that the cost would drop precipitously.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They are not giving the agencies time to ramp up before the Olympics.

If your current kits are 1DXMKII's and III's between the new bodies and glass, where is the time to get everyone to the point of muscle memory and work flow perfected?
Well, the agencies are a small market and getting smaller all the time. I doubt any Olympics viewers will tell the difference or even care what the agencies are shooting with. I've never noticed what anyone was using during a televised sporting event.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
If there are advantages for me compared to my R3, I’d certainly buy an R1. QPAF, for example. Also, I’d like to see better extreme defocus capability with long lenses. The R3 is great at tracking, but thing I notice is that I sometimes need to give it a MF assist when changing from a very close to a more distant subject. I had wondered if this was just with my adapted 600/4 II, but the 100-300/2.8 behaves similarly.
Same with my R5 and tracking. Let me know if you ever sell the R3! Based on your posts I assume your gear is well cared for.

Upvote 0
I suppose it's also somewhat possible that Canon may, once again, have two version of the Series 1, with one being high resolution (but a bit slower), and the other one being a lower resolution (but extremely fast).
Remember, this was done with the 1D and 1Ds, for Marks I thru III or IV. Of course, the 1D was APS-H, not full-frame, while the 1Ds was full-frame.
The latest camera series to have different versions are the R5 and R5c, and the 5D had the 5Ds and 5Dsr.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I suppose it's also somewhat possible that Canon may, once again, have two version of the Series 1, with one being high resolution (but a bit slower), and the other one being a lower resolution (but extremely fast).
Remember, this was done with the 1D and 1Ds, for Marks I thru III or IV. Of course, the 1D was APS-H, not full-frame, while the 1Ds was full-frame.
The latest camera series to have different versions are the R5 and R5c, and the 5D had the 5Ds and 5Dsr.
The 1D would be the R3 and the 1Ds the R1.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
The R1 should be just as apt in Sports, Fashion, Portrature and PJ environments. 60 to 80mp. Taking the best of the Fuji GFX100II, The Nikon Z9 and the IDXMKIII will be a formidable task. Color rendition, dynamic range, focus, tracking all with studio and field soundness.

Focus is key to me in the field and in the studio. My hope is that the R1 will be the best in the world. Let's try and simplify the focus menu layers. If it works it works ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
if you have no more rolling shutter issues because of global shutter and if s/n isn't differing from continuous operation to mechanical shutter operation, the only reason for a mechanical shutter would be to protect the sensor.
For whatever reason there is more dynamic range with the mechanical shutter.

Upvote 0