New images and info regarding EOS R3 pops up on Canon USA website

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Hey,

Minutes ago Canon USA released more information and photographs: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...e/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r3

"Canon’s upcoming EOS R3 will feature a solid yet lightweight magnesium allow body and carry forward the integrated vertical grip similar to the 1D series cameras, emphasizing both horizontal and vertical handling for challenging shooting situations. Weather-resistance and durability will equal Canon’s top-of-the-line EOS-1D X Mark III camera. Power will be delivered by the same Canon LP-E19 battery pack that powers the EOS-1D X Mark III. And, the EOS R3 will have three primary input dials, giving familiar operation to current Canon EOS users."

"Able to autofocus in light as low as EV -7 or more2, along with up to 8 stops3 of Coordinated IS control when used with RF lenses featuring Optical Image Stabilization, the EOS R3 will deliver amazing performance even in remarkably dark areas."

"With the EOS R3, you will be able to shoot in high-quality 4K with Canon Log3 and oversampled 4K, and RAW movie internal recording. AF tracking for people, animals and motorsports will be possible while recording video as well."

"To assist with your professional or personal photo and video endeavors, the EOS R3 will have Wired LAN and 5GHz Wi-Fi4 (11ac equivalent) built-in so you have the flexibility of wired or wireless connections and the necessary support for high-speed image transfer."

"The EOS R3 will feature a multi controller to help you easily select the AF point, quickly change Menu settings, and more. And, the R3 will also be equipped with a smart controller—similar to that on the EOS-1D X Mark III —that lets you quickly shift AF point locations, or a starting point for Servo AF tracking. A Vari-angle LCD will make it easy to compose shots at virtually any angle, and will be touchscreen to enable you to access menus, change settings and more on the fly. And a new accessory shoe will provide options for data communication and power, supporting new accessories."

1622608412323.png
1622608460050.png
1622608420921.png

Reactions: 4 users

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Some key bullet points for y'all:
  • "Speedlite shooting will be possible with the R3’s electronic shutter active."
  • "R3 will add vehicle subject recognition and tracking, for cars and motorcycles, especially in motorsports environments."
  • Powered by LP-E19
  • IBIS
  • "Shoot in high-quality 4K with Canon Log3 and oversampled 4K, and RAW movie internal recording. "
    • Only shows 4K icon, doesn't seem to imply higher resolution than 4K?
    • Oversampled 4K means sensor is higher-resolution than 4K, but by how much?
  • "EOS R3 will have Wired LAN and 5GHz Wi-Fi4 (11ac equivalent) built-in"
    • No apparent wi-fi attachment, high-speed wifi is in the body, alongside ethernet port
  • "a new accessory shoe will provide options for data communication and power, supporting new accessories."
    • Possibly means that we will get the ability to use XLR adapters through the hotshoe?
  • Ports of camera: On the front, intervalometer, on the port side, Mic and Headphones, PC sync, USB-C and HDMI, and Ethernet. No plug for WFT.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
So. What does oversampled 4k hint at regard resolution? 30mp?

Honestly? I know I'm probably wrong, but I totally see this as Canon being conservative and refusing to have a do-over of the R5 fiasco. Even the 1DX Mark III did 5.6K raw video and was advertised as such. They don't even toe towards mentioning the raw resolution, and no matter what, that would be at least probably 6K video if the sensor is even like 22mp.

That entire paragraph could have been lifted from the EOS R5's spec sheet, as the R5 does include 4K HQ which is oversampled 4K from the 8K sensor. It's weird that they put the 4K label on it, so I do think this sensor is lower resolution than expectations, but it's even weirder to me that they don't even casually mention what the raw resolution is. They're advertising the 4K spec, but they refuse to mention the raw spec, and could conveniently be leaving out 6K or 8K here.

All of this said, stepping back to reality, I do get the sense from the 4K label that this sensor will probably be between 24-30 megapixels. That would be more of an A9 competitor than an A1 competitor, so it will be interesting to see the price. If it's lower resolution than the R5, I think we could honestly get a price of about $5000 or lower since that would be comparable to an A9II + grip.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Two things from the higher resolution version of images:

The viewfinder's relief from the back of the camera is huge! Really sticks out. Gonna be sweet for people who hit the screen with their nose, I'd bet.
1622611134962.png

Also:

Seeing this image in higher resolution--the eyepiece cup is removable! Hooray!! There's a little icon on the detent here that points upwards to indicate how to remove the eyecup. Finally.
1622611190040.png

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
So 5.6k(which is what I assume it is oversampled from) is 12mp?
4K is about 8 megapixels but in a video aspect-ratio, which then translates to a 3:2 aspect ratio full frame sensor resolution of about 12mp, hence why the A7SIII has a 12mp sensor for direct 4K readout.

Oversampled 4K is possible at any full frame 3:2 sensor resolution higher than 12 megapixels, which is why koenkooi said that. It's kind of a meaningless spec because even the R5 does 4K oversampled, and the original 1DX could have had oversampled 4K with its 18 megapixel sensor if they had the technology back then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Specs released from Canon Australia.

The EOS R3 will take object-tracking to another level – adding Auto Focus (AF) tracking for motorsports which includes racing cars and motorbikes.
In addition to this, it’s been confirmed that the camera will feature 8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical Image Stabilization and In-Body Image Stabilization.
More newly announced specs include:
1f449_1f3fb.png
Multi Controller & Smart Controller
1f449_1f3fb.png
Vari-Angle Touch Screen
1f449_1f3fb.png
NEW accessory shoe
1f449_1f3fb.png
High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
1f449_1f3fb.png
8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
1f449_1f3fb.png
4K Canon Log3
1f449_1f3fb.png
Oversampling 4K
1f449_1f3fb.png
Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
1f449_1f3fb.png
RAW internal movie recording
1f449_1f3fb.png
Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter

More details in the link below

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It's weird that they put the 4K label on it, so I do think this sensor is lower resolution than expectations, but it's even weirder to me that they don't even casually mention what the raw resolution is. They're advertising the 4K spec, but they refuse to mention the raw spec, and could conveniently be leaving out 6K or 8K here.

All of this said, stepping back to reality, I do get the sense from the 4K label that this sensor will probably be between 24-30 megapixels. That would be more of an A9 competitor than an A1 competitor, so it will be interesting to see the price. If it's lower resolution than the R5, I think we could honestly get a price of about $5000 or lower since that would be comparable to an A9II + grip.
They don't want to tell the megapixel count yet, that's why they don't tell the raw video resolution, it would be an easy guess.

It will be comfortably more expensive than an A9II since it offers a lot more in terms of speed and video and it is a lot newer technology.
In fact, it offers just as much speed as the A1 or Z9 (possibly even better with the mechanical shutter) but with a lower megapixel count that has the benefit of higher quality downsampled 4K video and better low-light AF, so it won't be that much cheaper, 5500-6000$ seems realistic.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Two things from the higher resolution version of images:

The viewfinder's relief from the back of the camera is huge! Really sticks out. Gonna be sweet for people who hit the screen with their nose, I'd bet.
View attachment 198020

Also:

Seeing this image in higher resolution--the eyepiece cup is removable! Hooray!! There's a little icon on the detent here that points upwards to indicate how to remove the eyecup. Finally.
View attachment 198021
This feature will hopefully put an end to my nose-based AF point selection!;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
So 5.6k(which is what I assume it is oversampled from) is 12mp?
Another consideration is the cost of the codecs for 4k/8k - such discussion came out when people were disappointed with the announced specs of the 5DIV. Maybe that is one of the sacrifices to keep the cost of the R3 down as an A9 competitor?

Upvote 0