The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

I treat my cameras (and lenses) like I treat my cars. Regular maintenance and drive them until there is no physical way to repair them. Some people prefer new cars...good on them. The new (mirrorless) cameras do not offer anything I need to complete work (at this time). When my Canon bodies die in about 3-5 years, I'll revisit mirrorless. And as someone said in the forum earlier, a simple adaptor is all I'll need to attach the lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I made the switch to the R5 from the mk4 and the only advantage to the DSLR is the longer battery life, and if I’m being honest the placement of the controls was more ergonomic on the mk4. I have larger hands and some carpal tunnel syndrome and it’s sometimes it’s more difficult ergonomically with the smaller form factor giving less room for manipulating the controls. I don’t understand the appeal of a smaller camera body, it’s not like you save that much room in a camera bag but you definitely lose some handling comfort. I am getting used to it though so some of it is muscle memory.
I have very small hands so the smaller R5 form factor has been great for me BUT the teeny, tiny back buttons that I use for different back button focus options are not so great for me because I do most of my shooting in cold weather with thick gloves which means it's almost impossible for me to discriminate the buttons by feel because of their small size. My solution has been to build them up with moldable silicone to be able to feel them through my gloves. The camera was great unmodified when I was not wearing gloves.
Catherine
R5 Button Mod.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I made the switch to the R5 from the mk4 and the only advantage to the DSLR is the longer battery life, and if I’m being honest the placement of the controls was more ergonomic on the mk4. I have larger hands and some carpal tunnel syndrome and it’s sometimes it’s more difficult ergonomically with the smaller form factor giving less room for manipulating the controls. I don’t understand the appeal of a smaller camera body, it’s not like you save that much room in a camera bag but you definitely lose some handling comfort. I am getting used to it though so some of it is muscle memory.
Ah, make it smaller...
Brings back fond memories of the dot.com era when mobile phones got smaller and smaller. Look where we are today.

Juan you make a good point and maybe the camera body size will eventually find that optimum size. Until then, I leave you with memories of SNL poking fun at how small a cell phone would be.

Attachments

• What_f0eb4b_5498237.jpg
    What_f0eb4b_5498237.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can't imagine Canon making it 20MP. They wouldn't want it to have the same MP as the much less expensive R6. Since it's a sports camera my guess is 30MP, which would make it more than a 1DX or D6.
The last time a Canon integrated grip body DIDN'T disappoint on megapixels was 2012 with the original 1DX, 9 years ago. And each and every time since, most people on this and other forums predicted a 20-50 percent increase.

So, Lucy has the ball and places it down for the kick. You really want to go for the field goal, Charlie?

Upvote 0
on the flip side for people like you there are no end of crazy DSLR bargains to be had.
Yeah, Private, I've noticed that. I picked up a couple 6D mark Is for remote camera work out in the woods for <$400 each, with a sensor about as good as the 6D Mark II and the RP. Add a home-brew IR trigger and a piece of canvas clipped over it to keep the weather off, and I'm paying less than a nice game camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I just can’t understand why Canon is keeping the wraps on the MP count. With the R3 already in the hands of some “pros” I just don’t get it.
Since switching from the original A9 then A9ll to the R5 having those 45mp has been a game changer for me, the ability to crop and now not have to shoot as tight. I mostly Shoot Alpine ski racing

Upvote 0
I just keep telling myself that my 5D3 and my 10 EF L lenses are every bit as good as the day I bought them...
And every bit more competent for the job than necessary

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Come on Canon don't gimp the camera, no crap 20MP sensor. I know the fan boys will be outraged, but couldn't care less, anything under 30MP will be bitterly disappointing. With a price only slightly under the A1, I'll take 50MP any day of the year for a $500 more. If the AF is outstanding, and it can decidedly beat the A1 I could live with 24MP, just. Would love to see it have equal res to the R5 and offer 8K free of heat issues.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I just can’t understand why Canon is keeping the wraps on the MP count. With the R3 already in the hands of some “pros” I just don’t get it.
Since switching from the original A9 then A9ll to the R5 having those 45mp has been a game changer for me, the ability to crop and now not have to shoot as tight. I mostly Shoot Alpine ski racing
R7 crop sensor might be better for you if it's like the R3 but with a cropped stacked sensor of say 30-35mp

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I was! So much so that I skipped the 1D X and waited for the 1D X II
Given the fact that the 1DsIII was 21mp, the 1DX was 18 and the mark II is 20.2, isn’t this rather psychological than practical ? I’d challenge anyone to see the difference.

Upvote 0