So when is the Canon EOS R3 coming?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Canon has already made an official announcement and has a webpage. The R3 is in the hands of ambassadors and testers. Will be in Olympic venues. Canon doesnt need to send out a ton of cameras to reviewers. It is controlling the narative and marketing. Availability would be in limited supply. On July 23rd, opening ceremonies, the curtain will be raised.
Some of those ambassadors do reviews as well, which tend to be positive since they want to stay ambassadors :)

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
It may not be clear from his post, but Jeff is an independent photographer who works with team USA for the Olympics. He buys all of his own gear so that was probably just his own personal preference over buying the 1DX3. I think a lot of independent people are in the same boat, where it doesn't make financial sense to invest in the EF camera system that is rapidly becoming replaced by a newer system. I'm sure he will replace his personal R6 with an R3 when it releases.

Meanwhile, the Mark IIIs being used over at Getty Images: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQx0qTJL6S4/
I've traveled and shot with Jeff and he has the 1DX3 as well as the R5 and R6 so he has the option of taking any of those bodies with him to the games. Canon USA has fully supported him at the games with equipment and loaners as well but Canon USA is NOT going to be there this time so don't know how that will work because none of the tech guys he works with will be there. Looking forward to his review and feedback about the R3
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Well, this is (unsurprising) confirmation that the R3 will be at the Tokyo Olympics:

Jeff says "There are all kinds of new features (that have yet to be disclosed to the public), but the camera is distinctly Canon, which makes it easy to pick up and start shooting with. It is like upgrading from a familiar car to a new model with all the buttons and dials where we expect them, but with more horse power and better handling."

What are the new features we haven't heard about??
We will find out a great deal in about 21 days. It appears photographers that have units are pleased and excited.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Well, this is (unsurprising) confirmation that the R3 will be at the Tokyo Olympics:

Jeff says "There are all kinds of new features (that have yet to be disclosed to the public), but the camera is distinctly Canon, which makes it easy to pick up and start shooting with. It is like upgrading from a familiar car to a new model with all the buttons and dials where we expect them, but with more horse power and better handling."

What are the new features we haven't heard about??
The suspense builds.... Still undecided if it will complement or replace my R5, but I will not make that decision until I know the official specifications. Love the R5 except the position of the focus joystick on the vertical grip is uncomfortable for me to use. I also really hope the electronic shutter has variable fps not just 30 fps. A quad bayer filter with high R options even if slow at 10 fps would be very cool.

Upvote 0
In the last week, I sold all my Nikon D5 and related lenses awaiting the R3 release. Time to go mirrorless. After 47 years with Nikon, they have fallen way behind.

Given that there are R3’s in the hands of some of the social media influencers, the release can not be too far away. Interesting to note that when I ordered the lenses, at B&H (and elsewhere), the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, the 85 f1.2 and 100-500 RF lenses were all backordered. My sense is that the supply chain issues are the bigger problem.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
@Canon Rumors Guy says:

> The next time that I get an announcement date, I’ll do better in vetting the information.

No man, don't be like that! Just pass on the best info you have. I'm sure most of the people on the forum would rather have 100% of the news with 10% being inaccurate, than only 80% even if it's all accurate. We're all thankful for the work on the site. You don't need to redouble your rumor-checking efforts on top of that.
I agree. Please continue to pass along information as you receive it. The site is called CanonRumors not CanonFacts so being inaccurate once in awhile is the nature of the business.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not a conspiracy theory: That's precisely what you do to identify a leak (or a spy).

Saddam Hussein used it to identify the spy in his inner circle at the start of the second Iraq war. I remember watching the news and almost the first thing the US did was hit a specific building in Baghdad, because we had "good" intelligence Saddam was there. Years later I heard he had executed one of his people right after that. Caught by a canary trap.
Agreed, but it might do Canon more harm than good to do this, as it causes more frustration for potential purchasers. My guess is that the "29th June" leak was just pure speculation, because someone knew that the 14-35mm would be announced on that date, and summised that Canon would do a double whammy. The official story from Canon is that the R3 is still "under development", and after the R5 overheating fiasco, they'll want to be absolutely sure that their flagship R3 has all bugs and design flaws eliminated before launching it.

Pretty likely, almost definitely, there'll be a few R3 bodies being tested at the Olympics (they'll use 1Dxiii for the main events, and try out R3 on the preliminaries). Then Canon will need 2-3 months to sort out any issues exposed by the testers, so I'm not expecting the R3 to be launched until fourth quarter - just in time for the affluent amateurs to treat themselves to a Xmas gift!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Please. Let's not go overboard here. @Canon Rumors Guy runs a site devoted to sharing credible and non-credible rumors about Canon. The site is useful because rumors are vetted and he gives readers his honest assessment of their validity based on his own experience with the sources.

Let's not pretend it isn't a big deal, when a post confidently declares "The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29" and there are just crickets when the date arrives.

In probably a decade or more of following this site, this is first time I remember him posting a specific date and being flat out wrong. Craig clearly knows it's a big deal and rightly acknowledged this error and is working to determine how it happened. That's laudable. We love Canon Rumors because he gives us advance info on Canon developments. If this site becomes just a click bait place to post anything, accurate or not, the people who are saying it's not a big deal would be the same people who would walk away from the site.

That said, it is a rumors site and people need to understand that nothing on this site is an official declaration from Canon. Canon never promised us a June 29 announcement date. Some of the people posting here with their conspiracy theories need to understand that the announcement was not delayed or moved back. a RUMOR said the announcement would come on June 29, not Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'd never buy a big camera with small sensor. Again. I had the 7D and I'm so much happier with the small but smart M6 mark II. The only thing I'm missing are some lenses, particularly those that Tamron makes for crop sensor Sony but not Canon EF-M. If Canon discontinues EF-M and hopes to replace it with something like this R3 it just means that my future shooting is done with something like Sony a6600.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I agree. Please continue to pass along information as you receive it. The site is called CanonRumors not CanonFacts so being inaccurate once in awhile is the nature of the business.
Actually I disagree. The very reason this site is so well respected is because of the effort that goes into getting information correct. If that effort lapses then so does the respect. We should never expect the info to always be correct(occasionally things go wrong despite the best efforts), but we should always expect the best efforts be made to get the right info.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Actually I disagree. The very reason this site is so well respected is because of the effort that goes into getting information correct. If that effort lapses then so does the respect. We should never expect the info to always be correct(occasionally things go wrong despite the best efforts), but we should always expect the best efforts be made to get the right info.
Yes, indeed. CR is respected because of its high credibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I don't mind when it's released but at least give us specs, so we can plan.

$4500 LOL, this is the new Canon, those old APS-H 1 series prices are now the thing of legend. If it's even $5.5K I'll be gobsmacked, I'm betting $5899, but only 30MP.
After seeing the recent RF 14-35 F4L pre-order pricing, sadly, I must agree with your R3 price estimate as being the more realistic scenario. However, we can hope that there will be someone around that can pick both you and I up off the floor, as we fall off our collective chairs with a low $5k range R3 price announcement. Based on Canon's RF track record to date, I don't think the latter statement would be a good bet on the roulette table in Las Vegas. Too bad that Cola's don't factor in the cost of new R and RF camera gear.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
After seeing the recent RF 14-35 F4L pre-order pricing, sadly, I must agree with your R3 price estimate as being the more realistic scenario. However, we can hope that there will be someone around that can pick both you and I up off the floor, as we fall off our collective chairs with a low $5k range R3 price announcement. Based on Canon's RF track record to date, I don't think the latter statement would be a good bet on the roulette table in Las Vegas. Too bad that Cola's don't factor in the cost of new R and RF camera gear.
If it's in the low $5k range, it would be extremely tempting to trade in the R5+grip, assuming the resolution is 30MP or more. I would also try to find a lightly used RP to go with it.

But I don't think the R3 will that 'cheap', so my R5 will be with me for another 5 years or so :)

Upvote 0