Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z fc

I don't know who this camera is for. I guess Nikon fans on a nostalgia binge.

It's not going to attract the uninitiated. Those people go toward smartphones. Is it going to attract the budding photographer that wants to get in on a budget? I don't think so. Canon has much cheaper cameras like the M50. Is it going to capture the budding Youtuber? Again, better options out there that are potentially cheaper. Is it going to attract photographers from other brands like Canon or Sony? I don't think so. Is it going to attract the film crowd? Most definitely not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It's not going to attract the uninitiated. Those people go toward smartphones. Is it going to attract the budding photographer that wants to get in on a budget? I don't think so. Canon has much cheaper cameras like the M50. Is it going to capture the budding Youtuber? Again, better options out there that are potentially cheaper. Is it going to attract photographers from other brands like Canon or Sony? I don't think so. Is it going to attract the film crowd? Most definitely not.

I already have two non photographers wanting one. One likes the blue, the other likes the green. They never showed interest in photography before. My husband being on of them he likes it and wants it to go with the green iMac so he can take pictures on holiday with me. This camera squarely seems to attract people that also buy the modern polaroid. It is a bit of nostalgia and it looks user friendly. That it has competent eye AF for humans, cats, and dogs is going to mean a great entry point. But existing Z lenses don't match the style and the FtZ still has an unsightly wart on it so I can imagine the 28 SE or the zoom will just live on it.

I showed him the M50, it didn't hit, it looks unappealing to him. So it seems the Z fc is attracting the people they are clearly marketing it to and the odd nostalgic Nikon guy. I mean for me it is for cosplay, and I expect to see a few of them at conventions.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I have to say, I DO like having physical control knobs, dedicated function on a smaller camera.

I would really like the Pro-3 if it were a FF camera.....with rangefinder style EVF...it keeps the profile smaller on it, and I like physical knobs to fiddle with to set my ISO, SS...and I really prefer to have the choice to set my aperture on the lens too if given that choice.
I have to admit that after using the RP for a while the focus peaking really does work much better than on older mirrorless cameras. I don't know if this is because it's FF, or just improved tech, but it works to such an extent that I could use my collection of old, mint Takumar M42 lenses in a 'live' situation. Using the exposure simulation mode in the viewfinder I can shoot at what aperture I like, using the aperture ring on the lens, without the problems of a dark viewfinder, and benefit from real DOF and overcome any issues with lenses that have focus shift. In fact with these mirrorless FF cameras there's not much point to the manual lenses that couple to the camera electronically, and are much more expensive. However, having said that I see that quality old 35mm lenses like many of the Takumars are going up in price rapidly. Maybe this is why.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Well, there's apparently a pretty decently sized market for digital cameras with old fashioned mechanical dials and knobs for setting your exposure triangle.
Fuji has been doing quite well in that market for years....most all of theirs is crop sensor, but they are doing quite well and a lot of it has to do with the retro controls layouts.

I count myself as one that appreciates this too. I like having knobs on a fun camera that is small, and likely to be carried always by default when leaving the house.

Mine actually has a manual lens and I love this set up for street photography, I generally set up on days with sunny 16 and pre focus my lens, and then I can walk and shoot as I please, concentrating only on the moment at hand and composition.

Different strokes for different folks .....and also different cameras for different use cases. I have my DSLR, my mirrorless big sensor camera, medium format film cameras, view camera....etc.

Hell, half the fun for a day is thinking "ok....what type and which cameras will I load up to go out with today..."

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have to admit that after using the RP for a while the focus peaking really does work much better than on older mirrorless cameras. I don't know if this is because it's FF, or just improved tech, but it works to such an extent that I could use my collection of old, mint Takumar M42 lenses in a 'live' situation. Using the exposure simulation mode in the viewfinder I can shoot at what aperture I like, using the aperture ring on the lens, without the problems of a dark viewfinder, and benefit from real DOF and overcome any issues with lenses that have focus shift. In fact with these mirrorless FF cameras there's not much point to the manual lenses that couple to the camera electronically, and are much more expensive. However, having said that I see that quality old 35mm lenses like many of the Takumars are going up in price rapidly. Maybe this is why.
I have to admit...one of the MAIN things I've found to enjoy about mirrorless interchangeable cameras is........adapting and using old vintage lenses on them.

My vision is crap...but with the focusing aids, I find I really don't have much a problem. Heck, as I'd mentioned on another reply...I'll often preset my cameras sunny 16...and prefocus the lens based on that and just walk around snapping away when something catches my eye.

I LOVE my modern high tech lenses....for when I want them.

I'm really growing more and more, however, to appreciate the imperfections and character that old lenses can impart and they are really inspiring me to try new things. And for the most part, those lenses can be had a VERY reasonable prices.

Hell, it's really making me excited many weekends to go out and hit garage sales...its amazing what old lenses (and film camera bodies) you can find for almost nothing and they are in good shape.

Last year, I scored a mint condition Yashica MAT 124 G medium format TLR camera....I offered $75 and walked out with it. I likely could have gotten out for less, but WTF, you know?

But now, I'm on the prowl for lenses.....you just never know what you'll find.

And there's pretty much any adapter for any lens to any mirrorless camera mount out there that you'd want.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Last year, I scored a mint condition Yashica MAT 124 G medium format TLR camera....I offered $75 and walked out with it. I likely could have gotten out for less, but WTF, you know?

Sometimes the deal is so screamingly good to start with bartering would just be petty.

I found something I desperately needed for a project I was working on (totally non camera related) at a flea market...that I just happened to go to because someone invited me along. They wanted a buck for it.

I'd have paid a hundred.

Upvote 0
I already have two non photographers wanting one. One likes the blue, the other likes the green. They never showed interest in photography before.This camera squarely seems to attract people that also buy the modern polaroid. .
People that have no interest in photography but are willing to pay this much because of a color. Oh boy...

There is the modern Polaroid. They're called the Pentax and the Canon selphy. We'll see how much it sells outside of the nikon crowd... Time will tell. I'm going to note names and see if you are around. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy to come back to say so. Let's see if you are... ^_^

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

People that have no interest in photography but are willing to pay this much because of a color. Oh boy...

There is the modern Polaroid. They're called the Pentax and the Canon selphy. We'll see how much it sells outside of the nikon crowd... Time will tell. I'm going to note names and see if you are around. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy to come back to say so. Let's see if you are... ^_^

The modern Polaroid is the Fujifilm Instax and Polaroid Now. I seen a whole wedding party using Polaroid Now as a wee gimmick.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

Which ones are better for cheaper? I don't see any.
If you want a 4K mirrorless camera with good AF and a fully articulating screen, there are actually very few choices. Canon M6 Mark II has a flip-up screen with no EVF.

There is the Fuji X-S10 (X-T200 AF not very good) and there is the Sony ZV-E10 which isn't even out yet and it looks to be worse (doesn't even have an EVF). There is also the OM-D E-M5 III, which is also old.

That's about it, there aren't any other choices, if you specifically want these features and the Nikon does it in style much better than the others. Most people lurking on forums are not the target market.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
They'll sell a few of these, especially to women. Their D and Z rugged design, although have good ergonomics but look too manly for women. Looks more like a power tool.
Nonsense, my wife, a skilled photographer and Nikonian, prefers her D500 and old D700, and a big 500mm prime attached. The true difference between male geeks and female photographers is, according to my experience, that women are less easily impressed by high MP numbers but much more by really good images.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

$950-$1K isn't exactly a ton of money to a lot of people....

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Rather odd seeing all the comments of people thinking that these are for women... WTF is wrong with people? Every photo club and shared hide I have visited everyone has had a big dslr, usually gripped, and attached to the biggest lens they could afford. Never seen a woman or girl trying to photograph a squirrel with a 'girls' camera instead of their D500+200-500 or 5Div+100-400. Even wedding shooters I know that are women, they have their wrist snapping f/1.2 85mm's.

The Z fc isn't a gender specific camera and it isn't just for old timers wanting to hanker back to some nostalgia.

Upvote 0