Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful series.
d055.gif
Nicely done, usern4cr.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A very real portion of what makes good pictures I've learned from watching here--perhaps that shows how much I have to learn but that's the way it goes.

I like this one a bit. I'm posting it uncropped (jpeg was fiddled with to get it to fit filesize-wise)...

Those so inclined--download this one, play with it some...in any way you see fit (including crop)...repost and if you would, explain why you did what you did.

My own preferred crop (not shown) features the two critters on lookout duty in a much more prominent way; I'd very much like to see what those who post here regularly would do with it...and why.

Thanks for reading.
Hi Joseph, as you asked, I downloaded it and cropped it to what I like. I only spent couple of seconds on it, doing what comes naturally to me. No rhyme or reason.

5D3_4764 - Copy 3.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Hi Joseph, as you asked, I downloaded it and cropped it to what I like. I only spent couple of seconds on it, doing what comes naturally to me. No rhyme or reason.

View attachment 199200

...almost exactly what i came up with. I guess it isn't so hard...or we're both 'wrong' (!?)

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
becceric--Batman extends his cape here:

tinyurl.com/3sx5tafm

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."​

...one of my favs, actually!

=====

...which reminds me: I haven't seen any bat pix on CR! (I'll bet they're here but I just haven't looked:cool:).
Remove your sunglasses:p! I'm sure I posted some back in 2019...DSC_1076_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_1078_DxO-1_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Couple of Gatekeeper Butterflies doing their bit for future generations. At a distance of only 1.6m with 500mm on the R5.

View attachment 199243
This is really good Alan! I'm a detail/sharpness maniac but this has also a nice colors/composition!
(If you prefer "colours" - here you have it!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello everybody! I've been following this site for more than a year now. Meanwhile I've got my R5 and I took it to my garden to play around. Unfortunately I don't have specialized lenses for all the small subjects. So these pictures are heavily cropped. Nevertheless I dare to post some here.
R5 + 70-200/f4
Hummingbird hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum)
IL0A0241-CR3_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Gemeiner Bläuling (Polyommatus icarus)
IL0A0945-CR3_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

A species i could not identify.
IL0A0512.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hello everybody! I've been following this site for more than a year now.
Hello Oskar, and welcome to CR. Beautiful series you have there. Especially the hummingbird hawk-moth is brilliant (y)
Keep posting.

Unfortunately I don't have specialized lenses for all the small subjects. So these pictures are heavily cropped. Nevertheless I dare to post some here.
R5 + 70-200/f4
I found that if you can get close with e.g. a 100 mm macro you'll get other problems like very shallow DOF.
The pic of the hummingbird hawk-moth wouldn't have worked with such a macro.
So I think your gear is okay, esp. when you can get close to the MFD of your 70-200 and have enough light to close the aperture.

A species i could not identify.
Seems to be something like this one here:
I have something similar here, don't know what it is. I, too, suppose it's from the family hesperiidae.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hello Oskar, and welcome to CR. Beautiful series you have there. Especially the hummingbird hawk-moth is brilliant (y)
Keep posting.

I found that if you can get close with e.g. a 100 mm macro you'll get other problems like very shallow DOF.
The pic of the hummingbird hawk-moth wouldn't have worked with such a macro.
So I think your gear is okay, esp. when you can get close to the MFD of your 70-200 and have enough light to close the aperture.

Seems to be something like this one here:
Thank you very much for your kind words, Maximilian! Very appreciated!

I don't think this is the same like in your post. This one was really bright orange-golden on both sides. And it was pretty small. Maybe 2cm.

Upvote 0