Dragonflies and Damselflies

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Another shot from the bog excursion. R5 + EF180 on a tripod, ISO6400 + Topaz denoise. Slightly after 6AM, so it still had dewdrops on its eyes and thorax.
The original image, without noise reduction was "OK", any attempt at moderate NR gave ugly splotchy results in both Lightroom and Topaz, so I went for the maximum setting in Topaz which fixed the background, but also smoothed out the lower parts of the eye.

20210807 0618 55 Nederland Steenwijkerland - Canon EOS R5 - EF180mm f-3.5L Macro USM at 180 m...jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Great, Ray :cool:
thanks!..... curious side bar.... I was standing in this two acre cornfield...big tripod, gimbal, big lens, camera...watching and waiting for this guy to alight---getting into a decent position, dropped the height to frame him against the blue sky....and was approached by two police, right hand resting on their sidearm. "what are you doing?" [now there's an opening question] I was still excited about my prize shot...and pointed off to where the dragonfly was perched...."I'm shooting a photo of that dragonfly!" ...and showed them the image on the back of my camera..... "this is private property". "oh, I'm sorry, I'll leave..." [ I thought it was a public plot--as it is directly bordered by a public park.

But I didn't wreck any of the plants...or take anything....other than the image.
I am more mindful now of being scrupulous to avoid other's property.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Eastern Amberwing...or Biplane?

5D3_6229 - Copy.JPG5D3_6263 - Copy.JPG

Eastern Amberwing (I think).

5D3_6186 ps3 fix picasa crop - Copy.JPG5D3_6559 ps3 fix picasa crop - Copy.JPG

There are some really really good images posted here in this corner of CR...many of which show the strength of the R5 and its sensor, focus properties, and the native R glass...better than anything I can think of.

Great pics posted by all...today was my first real look at this category.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Eastern Amberwing...or Biplane?

View attachment 199862View attachment 199863

Eastern Amberwing (I think).

View attachment 199864View attachment 199865View attachment 199866

There are some really really good images posted here in this corner of CR...many of which show the strength of the R5 and its sensor, focus properties, and the native R glass...better than anything I can think of.

Great pics posted by all...today was my first real look at this category.
Welcome to the Dragonfly thread! There are lots of great images here, and your kind words much appreciated. But most have not been taken with the R5. The shots taken here here with other bodies or with other than RF glass are at least as good, if not better, and I’ve taken by far the most of the R5 + RF glass shots. Where the RF is a winner is for DIF at 20 fps where the R5‘s ability to latch on and track long sequences is awesome, but for static or single DIF shots non R/RF is just as good, and sometimes better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Where the RF is a winner is for DIF at 20 fps where the R5‘s ability to latch on and track long sequences is awesome
I use "just" the 12 fps with mechanical shutter but got a sequence of 53 pictures of this dragonfly:
nf3hh4kc(1).gif
The first GIF has been to large so I reduced the number of frames down to 10.

I took a walk through the city with the R5 and RF24-105L in my bag. Surprisingly I noticed this insect by a pond in the inner city.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Welcome to the Dragonfly thread! There are lots of great images here, and your kind words much appreciated. But most have not been taken with the R5. The shots taken here here with other bodies or with other than RF glass are at least as good, if not better, and I’ve taken by far the most of the R5 + RF glass shots. Where the RF is a winner is for DIF at 20 fps where the R5‘s ability to latch on and track long sequences is awesome, but for static or single DIF shots non R/RF is just as good, and sometimes better.
When making my R5 comment here, I was thinking of what at the time was my next post:

I presume the R5 would have a better chance of locking onto proper focus for the first few images there?

In addition, the extra pixels of the R5 would have been handy for the Eastern Amberwing pix I posted...those little guys are less than an inch long, I think.

But your point is well taken, and I did not mean to diminish the efforts of others (and their gear)--this includes me and the trusty 5DMk3 that still serves me well.

But I'm dreaming of a letter, AlanF. I think there's a letter in my future...

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When making my R5 comment here, I was thinking of what at the time was my next post:

I presume the R5 would have a better chance of locking onto proper focus for the first few images there?

In addition, the extra pixels of the R5 would have been handy for the Eastern Amberwing pix I posted...those little guys are less than an inch long, I think.

But your point is well taken, and I did not mean to diminish the efforts of others (and their gear)--this includes me and the trusty 5DMk3 that still serves me well.

But I'm dreaming of a letter, AlanF. I think there's a letter in my future...
The R5 will give more detail than the 5DIII, which can still produce stunning images. However, my trusty old 5DSR and 100-400mm II (which I still use) give just as detailed images as the R5 + 100-500mm, but I have to get the exposure right as you can't push the RAW from the 5DSR in post nearly as much as that from the R5. Also, I don't think the AF of the R5 for these close up shots is much different from the recent DSLRs. I use the centre square for AF for these subjects, and the DSLRs have a smaller focus area mode choice.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Female Southern Hawker. She was attempting to oviposit on the side of a platform on the water. She's the only dragonfly I've seen for a couple of days.
Wonderful pic, Alan! A little bit dark, isn't it?
I guess I would have pushed it 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Saw this darter in the middle of the dark forest when I was searching for the golden ringed dragonfly.
It was hovering a lot, but it was so dark that I didn't have a chance to try without fill flash.
Seems the AF didn't do as I wanted.
But the important thing in this case - the abdomen is in focus. Can you see them? The eggs?
Taken @ M mode, 400mm, 1/200, f/8, ISO800, fill flash with diffusor +2/3 to compensate the diffusor

Darter 20210809_0323.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wonderful pic, Alan! A little bit dark, isn't it?
I guess I would have pushed it 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.
Saw this darter in the middle of the dark forest when I was searching for the golden ringed dragonfly.
It was hovering a lot, but it was so dark that I didn't have a chance to try without fill flash.
Seems the AF didn't do as I wanted.
But the important thing in this case - the abdomen is in focus. Can you see them? The eggs?
Taken @ M mode, 400mm, 1/200, f/8, ISO800, fill flash with diffusor +2/3 to compensate the diffusor

View attachment 199918
Wonderful pic, Maximilian! A little bit bright isn't it?
I guess I would have darkened it 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.

• Haha
Upvote 0