Here is the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
No real need for IS on this lens. Being a 2.8, that’s plenty for even low light use handheld. I think that for anyone who uses say the wide end of a ultrawide zoom, this may be a great alternative, if sharpness is as good as an L series.
But the IS on the RF 15-35/2.8 allowed handheld 0.5s to 1s shots. Great for street photos (blurred people, blurred water fountains, etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Great, if true. I know 16mm is weird for a prime lens, but the wide angle I've been using, the Tokina 11-16 2.8, which I've used across my last six camera bodies, is essentially a prime at 16 since it's an EF-S mount and I moved to full frame four cameras ago. So I am extra pleased at the small size of this I can finally give the Tokina the retirement it so richly deserves.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That doesn't give me too much confidence that it will make a good astro/aurora lens. Hopefully I am wrong though and it is sharp enough with decent comma control

Thoughts on the 16mm... This lens might be one of the fruits of the RF mount. This is the first inexpensive, ultra-wide prime from any manufacturer. If this lens performs well and doesn't rely on in-camera tricks to limit distortion, Canon will have a huge hit on their hands. The RF 16mm is a shot at Rokinon. It's also a potential unique draw to the Canon system. We might have an ultra-wide plastic fantastic. That's exciting. Or, it could be cheap junk and rely on software fixes. Wait and see.
I'm surprised astrophotography hasn't taken up more of the discussion. I would happily get rid of my MF Rokinon 14mm 2.8 for a Canon RF AF lens.

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
This 16mm lens is not a FF lens, it's an APS-C lens. You are all missing the really big points of this intro: this lens' existence both mean that Canon is going to concurrently introduce an RF mount APS-C body, and that Canon is officially killing the EF-M mount off.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The RP/6D2 sensor is too slow for proper AF in 4k. If they want to support AF in 4k and use their own sensors, the choices are between the M6II/90D sensor, the 1DX3/R6 sensor, the R5 sensor and the R3 sensor.

16mm might be a bit tight for APS-C vlogging, but we'll see. Gordon will show it in his review :)
I've seen Gordon vlog with a 35mm! :)

Upvote 0
I'm surprised astrophotography hasn't taken up more of the discussion. I would happily get rid of my MF Rokinon 14mm 2.8 for a Canon RF AF lens.
Astro landscapes make a big difference between 14mm and 16mm and manual focus is needed rather than AF for these shots. Coma quality/corner sharpness will be interesting. Doing multi-shot panoramas for milky way is easier using 14mm.
Can you describe how AF will assist for astrolandscapes?

Upvote 0
This 16mm lens is not a FF lens, it's an APS-C lens. You are all missing the really big points of this intro: this lens' existence both mean that Canon is going to concurrently introduce an RF mount APS-C body, and that Canon is officially killing the EF-M mount off.
I get the mirth but I think it is related to the "officially killing the EF-M mount off" part of your comment which has no basis.

Is has been suggested that a low cost wide angle lens would be needed if a APS-C sensor is introduced to RF mount for a R7. This could certainly be part of that strategy.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is has been suggested that a low cost wide angle lens would be needed if a APS-C sensor is introduced to RF mount for a R7. This could certainly be part of that strategy.
I suspect it would have to be a low cost wide angle zoom. One has been rumored…for FF. Some suggest that’s a standard zoom for APS-C, but it’s a good UWA zoom for FF.

Canon seems to be rounding out the non-L affordable RF lens lineup, I do think the rumored $800 R-series FF body is looking likely.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I suspect it would have to be a low cost wide angle zoom. One has been rumored…for FF. Some suggest that’s a standard zoom for APS-C, but it’s a good UWA zoom for FF.

Canon seems to be rounding out the non-L affordable RF lens lineup, I do think the rumored $800 R-series FF body is looking likely.
A zoom would be preferably of course but wouldn't be f2.8. The only possible zoom lens in the roadmap is RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM which isn't that wide on a crop sensor.

For me, 16mm/2.8 is an unusual choice although many in the forum have suggested that they will buy it.
I would have thought that there would be a greater demand for the RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro on the roadmap.... but a R7 would give it more priority.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A zoom would be preferably of course but wouldn't be f2.8. The only possible zoom lens in the roadmap is RF 18-45mm f/4-5.6 IS STM which isn't that wide on a crop sensor.
It’s wide enough on FF. So you’d have 18-45 consumer zoom and 16/2.8 consumer prime. 24-105 consumer zoom and 50/1.8 consumer prime. 100-400 consumer zoom and 85/2 consumer prime. Covers a lot of bases for a cheap FF camera.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Astro landscapes make a big difference between 14mm and 16mm and manual focus is needed rather than AF for these shots. Coma quality/corner sharpness will be interesting. Doing multi-shot panoramas for milky way is easier using 14mm.
Can you describe how AF will assist for astrolandscapes?
AF obviously won't matter for astro, but the small size and low weight make it interesting for that purpose, too. When I head out to the northern wilderness for a week in the autumn and weather forecast suggests the chances of clear skies are small but not nonexistent, I find myself looking at the Sigma 14/1.8 and counting how many days worth of food it weighs... and, sometimes, end up picking the Voigtländer 20/3.5 pancake instead. If the RF 16/2.8 is optically reasonably good, it would be a much better choice in that situation.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
canon please , R7 please
R7 with this 100-400 would be perfect budget wildlife combo
Well that rather depends how much an R7 costs... there has always been a split between people who want a budget option and those who want a mini-1 series with higher pixel density for 'reach' at any cost. I still remain sceptical any such body will arrive but I don't see why they'd price it low.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
This was actually my first thought as well. The only thing that would hold me back at all from picking it up is that I already own the Samyang 14mm 2.8. At that price though there is very little risk in picking it up and going native.

Upvote 0