The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
This camera was always meant to be the R3. There's the eye control AF which goes back to the EOS 3. There's the mixed card slots...the top flagship will most likely use 2 CFExpress B cards. I would bet the flagship will have dual processors.

But if anyone understands how these large companies operate and their project management, you realize that such a name change at the last minute to react to Sony is simply not possible. Those who suggest this name change theory act as if such a change is trivial. In reality it is anything but.

Consider some of the ramifications of such a name change. You have to change all internal communications, and communications with outside partners, from manufacturing to sales. You have to alter product documentation, like manuals, and marketing materials. You also have to retool the assembly line to place that R3 badge on the camera. That in itself is hardly trivial.

But perhaps the biggest dominos to fall would be that you would have to change your entire product segmentation strategy and your future development plans. All of a sudden you send marketing and engineering into a big scramble. You now have to develop an R1 which you were not counting on, and find the resources and time to do so. Of course that would also take resources away from the products you already had planned, and so your release timetable is altered. In short, everything is altered by that seemingly small little name change.

That name change theory may seem convenient to some, but it doesn't reflect an understanding of what it takes to bring these products to the market.
This is funny to me because it reminds me when I had to "explain" to a business partner why we couldn't give them what they were asking for, and we would "fluff" the complexity or cost so they couldn't push back. I'm sure it would take some work to change the name but I don't think it's as drastic as you're making it out to be. Retooling to make R3 badges instead of R1 badges wouldn't be earth-shattering work or effort. We can agree to disagree though. ;-)

Side note, marketing and engineering departments are sent into a big scramble ALL the time with most companies, especially big ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
People on these forums, and in general online, just make stuff up based on their biases, feelings, and some strange assumptions. We have this case where someone asserted that the dollar was dropping like a rock, when it's very easy to verify that it is not in fact dropping like a rock.

We have some saying that Canon must have changed the name of what was going to be the R1 to the R3 at the last minute, after they saw the A1, when in fact that's a practical impossibility given the functioning of these companies and their product development.

It's like all who have said that Canon is surely going to fail, when in fact they have held steady leadership in the camera market for years now.
I'm not at all saying Canon changed the name, but why are folks acting like changing the name means developing an entirely new product? Literally changing the name but keeping the product exactly as you've designed and developed it would likely be the easiest change to make to the camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Here's the dollar/yen chart for the last 5 years. Where is the dollar dropping like a rock?
Isn’t it amusing when people bring their fallacious opinions to a data-driven discussion?

At the same time, it’s sad that people make themselves look foolish by posting nonsense that is so easily refuted by facts.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Idk, for this price I’ll agree it should be a flagship. It makes me wonder how much more we can expect the R1 to bring? Also the R5C is to be announced at the end of the year. What will that camera offer? At $5,500 the R3 was seemingly priced on the higher side (for a Canon), but still not flagship money. However, now it sits deeply in flagship territory pricing wise. I’ll wait until the final announcement and to see some images from the camera before committing to anything.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
However, now it sits deeply in flagship territory pricing wise.
Well, that can be solved either by making the R3 less expensive or by making the next camera they call their flagship (i.e., the R1) substantially more expensive. I think I can guess which Canon will choose.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
That makes a lot of sense to me. But then they went ahead and priced it so close to the A1. And as others have mentioned, what will the R1 cost?! Very strange.
Well I think Sony heavily over priced their prosumer "Flagship" Alpha 1 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Idk, for this price I’ll agree it should be a flagship. It makes me wonder how much more we can expect the R1 to bring? Also the R5C is to be announced at the end of the year. What will that camera offer? At $5,500 the R3 was seemingly priced on the higher side (for a Canon), but still not flagship money. However, now it sits deeply in flagship territory pricing wise. I’ll wait until the final announcement and to see some images from the camera before committing to anything.
You want to see images to gauge if you want to buy this camera? Spoiler: You will not be able to distinguish images made by R3 and ten years old 5d3.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I think it is likely that the R1 will be launched in 2024 leading up to the Paris Olympics and that Canon planned this well before 2020 with their typical Flagship release schedule .
The R3 was also planned many years ago and many of it's features and form factor will be used in the R1
The R3 is a highend Prosumer camera which will double as a testbed for the R1.
The R3's rumoured pricing seems appropriate for what appears to be a very amazing camera.

The R1 will be even more amazing but I doubt it will be priced much higher , perhaps $7000-7500?

Both cameras will be strong sellers I suspect and it's no accident Canon is so dominant in the camera industry.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
When exactly will retailers have the camera available for preorder? Is it once the "announcement" event concludes, or at the start? was a day late on the R5 and suffered the consequences..
Probably depends on the specific retailer. I'd suggest trying at the start time of the announcement (6 am EST).

Do keep in mind that if you plan to order from B&H, there are multiple holidays closings this month.
Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 12.14.47 AM.png

Upvote 0
I wish it was cheaper, but $6000 isn't a stretch. It offers more than the 1Dx II and III and those were introduced at $6500 USD. It's one hell of a camera based on specs and compared to its DSLR siblings. The 1Dx Mark II's are now $4500 which is a bargain for a truly pro level camera. Wouldn't be surprises if the Mark III's drop in price as the holiday shopping season approaches. And since the R3 does everything the 1Dx's did and THEN some this means the R1 will be a monster of a camera! Canon will flex their muscles and show off a bit I'm sure. These were the worst of times (COVID) and the best of times (CANON mirrorless). : ) So many cool toys; so little disposable income. : (

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0