Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
I took a camping trip up to Goblin Valley State park in Utah and camped a few days. My primary reason for going was to shoot the Milky Way (it's a registered Dark Sky area). But I took many other pictures on the trip up from Utah and also in the area in and around Goblin. The Milky Way was shot at a place called Wild Horse Butte.

Goblin-0002.jpg
Sunrise in Farmington NM where I camped the first night on the way up

Goblin-0003.jpg
Shiprock, NM
Goblin-LUMLR_sm-0002.jpg
Highway 24 going towards Hanksville, UT from Goblin

Goblin-0013.jpg
Three Sisters formation at Goblin State Park

Goblin-0046.jpg
Valley of the Goblins
Goblin-0060.jpg
From the road going out to the park - a few miles from the entrance
telly_Rpod_Goblin.jpg
Camping on BLM land a few miles outside the park (the park camping was full)
Goblin-small2-3 copy.jpeg
The main reason for the trip - Milky Way over Wild Horse Butte.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots.
a025.gif
Well done, Basil.

Upvote 0

Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
Great shots! FYI, since Goblin Valley was a filming location for Galaxy Quest, you can never get a campsite there without reservations. We usually do what you did, camp on BLM land and drive into the park to visit.
Yeah, I actually called several weeks out and was told they were booked the period I was going to be there. But it's ok as the free BLM campgrounds are just up the road and, except for the fact they don't have hookups, they are pretty nice and well maintained. The Park still allows you to get water there and use their dump station.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Thank you. I lived in Utah for four years and didn't even realize this place existed. I hope you go back again.
My wife and I slept in our tent quite a bit away from the other places on the campground. In the night we suddenly woke up by a "doiiing", somebody has stumbled over one of the strings of our tent. I looked but I couldn't see any animal strolling around. Since then, this "doiiing" is a sort of running gag between my wife and me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0