Viltrox has announced the Viltrox AF 85 / 1.8 STM ED IF for the RF mount

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi all, I do not want to sound arrogant but to me when you buy a 4000 euro/$ R5 or 2200 euro/$ R6 or even an R3, why you would buy a lens like that?[..]
I can think of a few reasons:
  1. You bought the lens before being able to afford on R5/R6
  2. You could just afford an R5/R6 and want a lens without having to save up for it
For me, not making any money with photography, buying non-cheap lenses after getting the R5+100-500 coincides with pay raises, referral bonuses and surprise tax returns :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Don't wish to sound ungrateful, but I'd rather 3rd parties tried to fill some of the gaps in Canon's RF lineup first. We already have 2 Canons and a Samyang at 85mm.

If this thing is $300, I'll take that back.
I moved to Fuji, but still keep an eye on the Canon world. I rather like the kit, though not the prices. I'd be surprised if this cost more than $400 US. Plenty of reviews of other platform versions. I have a couple of their lenses the 23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4 and for the price they are great. I got the 56 as an impulse purchase at 33% off.

It is a case sometimes of cutting one's cloth. I'm an enthusiast not a pro so getting good value kit and learning how to make it work for me is part of the deal.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I moved to Fuji, but still keep an eye on the Canon world. I rather like the kit, though not the prices. I'd be surprised if this cost more than $400 US. Plenty of reviews of other platform versions. I have a couple of their lenses the 23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4 and for the price they are great. I got the 56 as an impulse purchase at 33% off.

It is a case sometimes of cutting one's cloth. I'm an enthusiast not a pro so getting good value kit and learning how to make it work for me is part of the deal.
Literally my journey. Loved my M50 but didn't see an upgrade path that preserved the small/light/reasonably priced/advanced features priorities I had, so ended up with an X-S10. Still like Canon and who knows, maybe they'll value that market again someday.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi all, I do not want to sound arrogant but to me when you buy a 4000 euro/$ R5 or 2200 euro/$ R6 or even an R3, why you would buy a lens like that? No offense please but I think that at the end, what makes a great picture beside a good sensor and overall camera is of course a good photographer AND a great lens! The lens is often the key and for such a low price I doubt that lenses like that could compete so well against a Canon RF or a Sigma Art or Laowa Zero...
But is it the lens that competes, or the photographers that compete?

I am sure there are people out there who just love manual lenses. They still want the best camera they can afford.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Ask and you shall receive - Canon has you covered. ;)

I have that lens, since day 1 of its launch locally.

Good lens.
But it is not a great street lens at all.
The focus is slow, as is always the case with Macros glass, but this lens is useless for video. I have shot interviews with it when it is on a tripod and the focus shifts very little, it was fine. Video at a parade or protest in the street.....scrap.

I shot a portrait with the RF 85 2 today.
A male employee of a client and I want the very sharp details of his face and beard.
Then I shot a young female and I removed the RF 85 and used the EF 85 1.8. Much more pleasing skin tones with its slight softer feel at 2.8.
I will keep the RF 85 f2 until a better street lens comes, and then it will be gone over night!

I will always keep the EF 85 1.8 for portraits!

Upvote 0
Hi all, I do not want to sound arrogant but to me when you buy a 4000 euro/$ R5 or 2200 euro/$ R6 or even an R3, why you would buy a lens like that? No offense please but I think that at the end, what makes a great picture beside a good sensor and overall camera is of course a good photographer AND a great lens! The lens is often the key and for such a low price I doubt that lenses like that could compete so well against a Canon RF or a Sigma Art or Laowa Zero...
Currently there's no fast focusing native mid range 85mm for the RF mount.

There's the slower, heavy focusing RF 1.2L
There's the almost 30 year old 1.8 EF USM
There's the RF F2 which has crappy slow STM
There's the EF 1.4 which is inbetween everything

But a fast focusing, native, modern and lightweight RF mount 85? Unlikely to be coming from Canon for years now that the STM version is out. Canon dropped the ball in using STM focusing. It should have been USM all through.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Currently there's no fast focusing native mid range 85mm for the RF mount.

There's the slower, heavy focusing RF 1.2L
There's the almost 30 year old 1.8 EF USM
There's the RF F2 which has crappy slow STM
There's the EF 1.4 which is inbetween everything

But a fast focusing, native, modern and lightweight RF mount 85? Unlikely to be coming from Canon for years now that the STM version is out. Canon dropped the ball in using STM focusing. It should have been USM all through.
I never noticed that the RF 85mm f/1.2L focused slowly when I had it. Granted, I'm a portrait shooter.

Upvote 0