Which is the best Canon EOS camera?

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
I am still questioning myself, which EOS camera would be best for me and my purposes. I tend to say the EOS R5, but the price holds me back (smile). However, I am a friend of serious tests, but here in the USA I could not find any test of the EOS R, R3, R5, R6 that is really unbiased and trustworthy. And when I went through the Internet or/and YouTube all "testers" praised actually any EOS camera. Especially the R6 got almost best notes, even it only has 20mb. But according to them, mega pixel seems not to be important nowadays anymore. Due to long years - actually decades - of very positive experiences with the German market, and the German tests, some of them are even done by federal run institutes, I found several test results and was really surprised. According to them, the best EOS is the R5, second one R3 and only number three was the R6 very close with the R! Wow!!! Here is a link to one of the highest trusted photo magazines in Germany, that publishes annually a "high score list". Since there were not only EOS cameras tested, but all cameras of all brands, number one was the R5 and the R6 only number eight. But please have a look at the list yourself and let me know, what you think. It is in German, but you can for sure read the names and results which are given in percentages.

Oh, the table headers you need to know: Picture Quality (Bildqualitaet), Speed (Gechwindigkeit), Equipment and Handling (Ausstattung und Bedienung), Overall (Gesamt), Test Result (Testurteil).

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am still questioning myself, which EOS camera would be best for me and my purposes. I tend to say the EOS R5, but the price holds me back (smile). However, I am a friend of serious tests, but here in the USA I could not find any test of the EOS R, R3, R5, R6 that is really unbiased and trustworthy. And when I went through the Internet or/and YouTube all "testers" praised actually any EOS camera. Especially the R6 got almost best notes, even it only has 20mb. But according to them, mega pixel seems not to be important nowadays anymore. Due to long years - actually decades - of very positive experiences with the German market, and the German tests, some of them are even done by federal run institutes, I found several test results and was really surprised. According to them, the best EOS is the R5, second one R3 and only number three was the R6 very close with the R! Wow!!! Here is a link to one of the highest trusted photo magazines in Germany, that publishes annually a "high score list". Since there were not only EOS cameras tested, but all cameras of all brands, number one was the R5 and the R6 only number eight. But please have a look at the list yourself and let me know, what you think. It is in German, but you can for sure read the names and results which are given in percentages.

Oh, the table headers you need to know: Picture Quality (Bildqualitaet), Speed (Gechwindigkeit), Equipment and Handling (Ausstattung und Bedienung), Overall (Gesamt), Test Result (Testurteil).
What are your purposes? If you tell us then we can give specific advice which is the best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
+1 for AlanF's comment. He is one of the most diligent 'testers' on this site but he knows testing has to align with usage to be of value. The old adage 'the best camera is the one you have with you' still rings true. No technical measure will tell you which camera feels best in your hand. Data doesn't show if a camera is fun for you to use or if you are going to be willing to carry it around. Many people ask me which is the 'best' camera and often the honest answer for them is their cell phone. There are hardly any 'bad' cameras these days. If you make huge prints (> 1 meter long axis) or find you often need to crop heavily then the higher MP of an R5 is relevant, otherwise 20 MP should be plenty.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There is no universal ‘best’. The best camera for you is the one that best meets your needs and budget.
  • If you need the most MP, there's the Phase One IQ4 with 150 MP, so don't settle for the paltry 60 MP where FF MILCs top out.
  • If you want the best low light performance, there's the Canon ME20F-SH...it's FF sensor has only 2.3 MP and it's not the easiest camera to hold, but it goes to ISO 4,000,000 and it takes all your favorite EF lenses.
  • If you have only $600 to spend, an EOS M200 kit is probably the best camera for you.
Sarcasm aside, the question is mostly meaningless because you need to define your needs and budget and buy a camera based on those.

The only time the question is not meaningless is if your reason for buying a camera is for bragging rights to show all your acquaintances and passersby that you have 'the best' camera. In that case, I highly recommend the gold-plated Canon F-1, which will make you instantaneously recognizable as a wealthy, trendy hipster because it's covered in gold and looks retro.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.39.14 AM.png

Bonus wealthy hipster points if you're seen carrying the camera while listening to music from cassette tapes on a gold-plated Aiwa walkman. :p

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
As mentioned, what matters is what you shoot, what you need from your camera. Are you shooting wildlife, birds, other subjects that are far away and you need to crop? Portraits, landscapes? Doing any video, and if so, anything where you need anything more complex than the basic HD?

My advice would be to ignore the interent and the various reviews and influencers. A few will give you good information, the vast majority are trying to promote a certain brand or a certain agenda. As a whole, the information you get on the internet will only confuse the issue. The only logical way to decide on a camera - some of which are costing a lot of money - is to try them yourself. If you have any opportunities to rent one, that is a good option. If you have an actual camera store anywhere near by, go there and put the cameras in your hands. That alone may rule out some models. Otherwise, make sure you purchase from a dealer that will accept returns if you are not satisfied,.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Best will be subjective. As others have said, what are your needs/budget?

If you are looking for a camera that isn't good, you might have trouble. It is getting harder and harder to find faults with cameras. R6, R5, R3...all remarkable. All great IQ. All great features. For most people and most instances, the camera will not be the limiting factor in your ability to take an excellent picture.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Cheap used 5D Mk1 with money saved spent on the best used EF mount lenses you need from a good trusted used store. You could get a 5D MK1, and 35mm 1.4L Mk1 and and 135mm F2L and still have £1000 left for the price of an R6 body, maybe get an 85 1.8 or 70-200 f4 MKiii.

Or new 5D Mk4 (much better focusing, brilliant sensor, last greatest sensible sized SLR ever to be made probably). I have an R6 for work, the files are not as good as the 5D MK4 regardless of resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
Thank you all for your answers.

Well, my intention was just to provide you with additional non-American information about how other countries see the EOS cameras. Germany, where the website comes from, is a very important market for Canon, since products that fail in Germany have a problem in the whole EU. But as you see also there, the EOS cameras are hyped and loved.

However, you also see that the EOS 6, which is strongly hyped in the USA, is not seen in Germany/Europe as so fabulous as here in the USA. For instance, (not only that webpage) they see a difference in the picture quality to the EOS 5, which in my opinion is plausible – 20mb versus 45mb, same processor….!

So, some users asked me, what purpose I need a new camera for. And here is my problem, because, I need basically an EOS 5/6. So, the advantages of both cameras in one. I know, its not possible. But that is the reason I ask myself which camera is best for me. I hoped the EOS 3 would be a solution. But I agree to the test, which URL I provided you. The EOS 3 is the least camera of the EOS system, I need.

I will wait a bit, but latest at the end of the first quarter of 2022, I most likely will buy an EOS 5 body with RF 24-105 lens.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all of you!!!

Upvote 0