Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
For all those status conscious people out there, the shutter release is red. That matches the red rings in your lenses and the red accent in the digital crown of your Apple Watch. :p
I looked at my watch, and there is a red ring on the crown. I had forgotten about that. Now I feel a much higher level of status.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
You know what? If you want to be a Canon apologist then you do you. But just realize that you'll be seeing the same issues from Canon time and time again.

If you bothered to read any of my other posts, you'll notice that Canon DID in fact make three perfect cameras - cameras without compromises: the original 5D Mark II, the 1DC and the 1DX Mark III. Canon is capable of creating a perfect camera without compromise. Want to see other cameras with little to no compromise? Look at the Nikon Z9 or the Sony A1. In Nikon's case, they removed the mechanical shutter - a feature that most folks don't care about - but they also ensured that rolling shutter would be dramatically reduced.

This is absolutely the correct take. Canon clearly wanted to get something out the door as quickly as possible. And clearly from the reaction, you've got quite a few folks who will buy this camera. But given my style of run-and-gun videography + traditional photography, I'll need something with IBIS.
Lol. Yup, I'm an apologist cos I don't agree with your endless and at some points nonsensical complaints. I'll admit I didn't read every word because they were pretty long posts, and there were a lot of them, and the gist has been clear.

I don't believe any camera is perfect fwiw and absolutely every product involves compromises but since you do, why didn't you but a 1DxIII, instead of sticking with your 5D3?

As others have pointed out and you've failed to respond - you claim to need this feature but must be managing without it. So it's essential or not?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I guess I'm failing to see why IBIS is really that important to begin with. Everybody has their way of shooting, so not trying to discredit anyone -- I just don't really understand the outrage over it lol. For me, it's handy if I'm shooting fast action and want motion blur, and it's handy if I'm too lazy to use a tripod for an occasional long exposure. Beyond that, how often are people shooting at ridiculously slow shutter speeds? I've never wanted IBIS and in a year of owning the R5 and doing 4-5 shoots per week, I've only benefited from it twice: once when shooting Nascar and once when shooting NHRA. And I could have lived without it then.

The photo side is 100% identical to the R5 minus the IBIS. Claiming that the R5C isn't a true hybrid due to its absence of a single feature that is useless above 1/200th doesn't check out. By nature, hybrid traditionally = compromise. Think about bikes - a hybrid with shocks and thicker tires will fair better off-road than a road bike, but it won't excel at one or the other the way a road or mountain bike would. A really good one might get you 75% of the way there on both fronts (and I mean a really good one). It's the way it works: I have yet to see any hybrid product from ANY industry overcome this rule.
Do a test, take your R5 use a lens without IS and IBIS turned on for few days and let's see if you gonna have the same opinion. Especially if you are shoting mostly handheld in the move.
Afoy you do it you will notice how much ibis and is helps even up to1/400 of a sec. Depending on the lens.

Upvote 0
I believe Canon has released three bodies over 12 years that meet the definition of "perfection":
1. Canon 5D Mark II (2008)
2. Canon 1DC (2012)
3. Canon 1DX Mark III (2021)

I believe the "crippling" is mostly due to Canon's continued efforts to protect their Cinema EOS line at all costs. This release is no different in a crowded field with the C70 and original R5 - its safe to assume that a perfect R5C may have eliminated any need to buy an R5 at all.

I do have hope for the R5 Mark II - perhaps it will be the spiritual successor to the 5D Mark II? Maybe?
The 1dx3 is not perfect, but is my favorite camera. They are not trying to protect cinema cameras. They are different beast. Again none of the Canon Cinema cameras have IBIS.
Let's see if Canon agrees with your assessment, currently on the front page of their website:

View attachment 202150

Looks to me like they're saying that the R5C is a hybrid camera "ready for anything". A hybrid camera with no IBIS isn't exactly ready for stills photography, especially at this price point.
Are you saying my 1dx3 is not a stills camera ready for anything? News to me.

It seems to me canon split the R5 between still centric shooters and video centric shooters. If you are as tills shooter and need IBIS the R5 is great. If you are a video shooter and don't need IBIS the R5C is great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Well I need a good Hybrid camera, with video without handicaps R5 is missing a lot of those check points. As I said unfortunately I think I will have to extend for the R3, would prefer slightly cheaper and smaller R5c with IBIS since I think Switching to another system would be a waste of money.
Also I have 28-70 which is not stabilised and that is the lens I use for 70% of my work...Don't understand your "aggressive" attitude? So people can't be disapointed? Especially after spending a decent house with a property on the equipment in last few years?

Unfortunately that's been the attitude of some in this forum. To them everything Canon does is perfect. I am not sure if they really feel that way or just get defensive here.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm certain Canon could have brought IBIS to R5C, they chose not to do so. Here's how I see this whole R5 pickle happening.
Canon sensors are not Sony sensors. Canon has lagged Sony in readout speeds. While they are clearly closing that gap, the 1DX mark III/R6 and R5 sensors are their first generation which can support FF, full width, full resolution, oversampled video readout. So it's a good guess that Sony's latest generation is more power efficient than Canon's first generation with this capability.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you are as tills shooter and need IBIS the R5 is great. If you are a video shooter and don't need IBIS the R5C is great.
If you are a video shooter who needs IBIS, too bad for you. The thing is, Canon markets to the majority. The fact that you want or need something, and that maybe you can find a couple other people on the internet who feel the same, doesn’t mean you’re in the majority.

That’s a tough pill for some people to swallow.

Upvote 0
You know what? If you want to be a Canon apologist then you do you. But just realize that you'll be seeing the same issues from Canon time and time again.

If you bothered to read any of my other posts, you'll notice that Canon DID in fact make three perfect cameras - cameras without compromises: the original 5D Mark II, the 1DC and the 1DX Mark III. Canon is capable of creating a perfect camera without compromise. Want to see other cameras with little to no compromise? Look at the Nikon Z9 or the Sony A1. In Nikon's case, they removed the mechanical shutter - a feature that most folks don't care about - but they also ensured that rolling shutter would be dramatically reduced.

This is absolutely the correct take. Canon clearly wanted to get something out the door as quickly as possible. And clearly from the reaction, you've got quite a few folks who will buy this camera. But given my style of run-and-gun videography + traditional photography, I'll need something with IBIS.
Your definition of "no compromise" is evidently different than mine. The Z9 is a great camera and I am glad to see Nikon back in the headlines, but the camera is not perfect. It has compromises the same as any other camera. Just an example is the high speed shooting is in jpeg. Pick what you want and get the closest you can get.

Just a quick example. I am probably going to buy a C100 MkII. Madness by today's specs for sure. Canon sent me one to try and the camera is superb for shooting video. It has some warts, but the overall function one of the best for video I have used. If I just looked at the specs it would be a hard pass in 2022. I know this thread is full flame at this point, but do keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
If you are a video shooter who needs IBIS, too bad for you. The thing is, Canon markets to the majority. The fact that you want or need something, and that maybe you can find a couple other people on the internet who feel the same, doesn’t mean you’re in the majority.

That’s a tough pill for some people to swallow.
Which "video" cameras offer IBIS? They offer EIS which seems to work better for video as explained by people much smarter than I.

If you are a video shooter and need/want IBIS what is wrong with the R3, R5 or R6?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Which "video" cameras offer IBIS? They offer EIS which seems to work better for video as explained by people much smarter than I.

If you are a video shooter and need/want IBIS what is wrong with the R3, R5 or R6?
I honestly don’t really care, because I don’t shoot video. I imagine some people want 8K video in >30 minute chunks, or something like that, and also want IBIS whether for video or the stills part of hybrid shooting.

Really, my point is that Canon doesn’t need to please everyone, they need to please the majority of bona fide potential buyers for a product. The Venn diagram overlap between that group and those complaining on this forum is probably very small.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
What gives you that idea?

I am in this forum for at least 5 years now and I have only known you praising Canon for anything they do and vehemently defend Canon. Good for you you are doing thorough research before you buy.

But I think most people complaining on this forum never had any intention (and/or means) of actually buying whatever product they’re complaining about.

That is your assumption, for e.g. I pre-ordered R5C this morning and I cancelled it. Now you may say "see you did not do your research", the only reason I pre-ordered is I want to be ahead in the queue then I came here to see what people have to say about this camera. I learnt there is no Full HDMI and IBIS. I cancelled my pre-order. To me no full HDMI is a deal breaker and IMO Full HDMI is something really simple to add when they redesigned the body to accommodate the cooling fan. Before you ask, yes I had Canon Camcorders with micro HDMI break on me and Canon' solution is replace the board, that costs a lot of $. Hence a person like me will say Canon' cripple hammer at work and your response will be "if you want full HDMI you need to spend 30 grant on a cinema camera. This Camera is not meant for you". The reality I do not have to pay even $50 more to get a Full HDMI port on any camera. It is a simple thing to add but Canon does not want to do that. From my perspective this is intentionally crippling the camera. At least with IBIS one can argue that most cinematographers do not need that but why not a full HDMI port at least?

Upvote 0
Do a test, take your R5 use a lens without IS and IBIS turned on for few days and let's see if you gonna have the same opinion. Especially if you are shoting mostly handheld in the move.
Afoy you do it you will notice how much ibis and is helps even up to1/400 of a sec. Depending on the lens.
I regularly use the original R as a second camera and the photos it takes are sharp as sharp can be. I shot a nonstop 3-day music festival on the R5 and lent the R to my second shooter, who was shooting with a pro camera for the first time. Comparing the files from the R5 with IBIS to the R's with no IBIS, there is no difference in terms of sharpness (resolution is obviously a different story). And I guarantee that any photo that would have been shot below 1/400th would have been blurry because of motion in front of the lens - not behind it.

IBIS is not a useless feature, but it's absolutely trivial for me personally. In the 73,000 photos I took last year, it only made a lick of difference on the two shoots I previously mentioned.

This is a bit of a sidebar however. The point to take away is that a hybrid is, by definition, neither fully one thing or the other. If you put orange juice and apple juice in a cup you're not getting 100% of either. You're getting a ratio between the two. There will be compromises, and if it wasn't IBIS it would have been something else. Look at any hybrid anything on the market and you'll find this to be true.

I think the bottom line is that if you don't want a compromise camera, you don't want a hybrid camera. There's plenty lacking on the cinema side too, if I want to hold it to pure cinema camera standards. But I don't, because there is zero expectation for this camera to be a fully fledged cinema camera.

What the R5C is is a remarkable hybrid. It appears that many people here don't want a hybrid despite saying they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
LOL, you opened my eyes.
I was not aware that first Canon camera that is exactly ready for stills was made only in 2020...

You're missing the point. The R5C costs more while removing features of the R5.

We all expected the R5C to cost more and add features. Not cost more, add some features that should have been in the R5 to begin with and then remove existing R5 features.

Furthermore, tech moves forward. At this price point we should expect IBIS in a $4,500 camera that boasts it's a hybrid "ready for anything."

Canon removing it is a step back and they shouldn't be defended.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
HYBRID shooters. I can't imagine you're using a camera the whole day, switching back and forward between photo/video, day in day out. Imagine the wear and tear on the camera.
Consider these combinations.

R5, Ninja V+ and (R5)
R5, Ninja V+ and (R5C)
R5, Ninja V+ and (R1)
R5, Ninja V+ and (R3)
R5, Ninja V+ and (C70)
R5, Ninja V+ and (Komodo)

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
It's amazing how much quicker you can flick through 10 pages of comments when you ignore any which include 'cripple hammer' ...
I skipped everything that said “IBIS” after page 5…

Anyone else have any thoughts on the R5C using DPAF 2 in photo mode and DPAF 1 in Cinema mode?

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
When people say video people don’t want ibis that is a very small group based in Hollywood, gimbals are overrated for many situations. People who buy this are the hike a mountain types that can only cary minimal gear, or people who do content gathering for news work that maybe high paced, canon misses the mark on this by removing the ibis. I shoot and do video work with motocross I legit was wanting this camera to have ibis to keep a more compact set up. Canon went cripple hammer and want people to buy both.
serious question here: Would one of the existing 4k camera with ibis then be better for your needs? Do you need 8k for news/motorcross?

Upvote 0