Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, January 19, 2022 – Imagine having the best of both worlds at your fingertips. A Canon camera with equal parts video and still digital imaging power, all in one compact-and-lightweight package. Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is excited to announce the EOS R5 C Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera, a hybrid, RF-mount 8K camera that has something for everyone. The new camera showcases video formats and features from the company’s award-winning Cinema EOS line, alongside select still capabilities that have made the EOS R5 camera a popular and trusted choice among imaging professionals and enthusiasts alike i.
“Imaging professionals are living in a multimedia world. Gone are the days of only needing to be sufficiently equipped and skilled at video or stills,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
No IBIS. That's a good thing according to most of what the video guys post, but the one thing that will make a stills guy really have to think hard deciding between R5 and R5C.

And the price was on the low end of the predictions! For like the first time ever! Seems like a real beast of a body at that price.

Brian

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
No IBIS. That's a good thing according to most of what the video guys post, but the one thing that will make a stills guy really have to think hard deciding between R5 and R5C.

And the price was on the low end of the predictions! For like the first time ever! Seems like a real beast of a body at that price.

Brian

Exactly, i would order it immediately if it had IBIS.

I’m also a little concerned about the weather sealing..

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Micro HDMI just seems lazy. If ibis is gone for video shooters this seems like a no brainer.

The price is better than expected from canon, but even the fx3 was $600 less and it included the XLR handle plus full HDMI but is missing the EVF and monitoring tools.

For my event shooters there is also a 9 second delay when switching from photo to video. The camera actually “reboots”. This would drive me nuts. I will say I was really excited about the video/photo switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This really isn't a proper stills camera (no IBIS) or a proper cinema camera (no full size HDMI, no ND, etc).

To me, that means it's a niche camera designed for someone who really wants to shoot 8K on a budget. That's definitely not everyone, but for that purpose, it's probably going to be the best camera on the market. It's too bad that it's a bit crippled, but at least the price is right this time.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
So officially no IBIS?
I revealed this hours ago and was attacked for it. No IBIS is not the answer… lockable IBIS is the way to go in a hybrid. IMO the lack of IBIS cripples this camera for stills work.

Also, dual booting? Really? This is lazy coding. Canon should have made a true hybrid OS... The whole camera feels like a bunch of afterthoughts piled together. Just like how they graphed that extended fan onto the back of the body.
I’m guessing this camera was hurriedly cobbled together to answer Sony’s FX3.

Nothing is cohesive. It looks like we’ll have to wait for the R1 to address all the shortcomings?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I revealed this hours ago and was attacked for it. No IBIS is not the answer… lockable IBIS is the way to go in a hybrid. IMO the lack of IBIS cripples this camera for stills work.

Also, dual booting? Really? This is lazy coding. Canon should have made a true hybrid OS... The whole camera feels like a bunch of afterthoughts piled together. Just like how they graphed that extended fan onto the back of the body.

Nothing is cohesive. It looks like we’ll have to wait for the R1 to address all the shortcomings?
Most professional videographers that are shooting 8k60 are using gimbals and disengage IBIS. I shoot medium format, large format, and many times film for my clients for my stills work. Never needed IBIS on my Pentax 67II. Photographers or videographers that only use one camera are rare. Many already have cameras with IBIS. And have no problem shoting with motion picture equipment without it. Yes amateurs that carry around one single camera for a gig most likely will complain about IBIS. Skill, no substitute for it. Lens stabilization and eye autofocus is all I really need for digital stills. However when shooting film, medium format, and large format, don't need it whatsoever. Many young photogs that have ditched their digital for film are not crying over the lack of IBIS. A gimbal with IBIS engaged? Really?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Wait wait wait - it is really a dual boot camera? For a long time IT person, that makes me chuckle :) On the other hand, if it boots quite fast, most ppl will not care :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

As they said in one of their promo videos, it is a cinema camera that can take photos. They didn't have in mind creating a perfect hybrid camera they just did the R5 narrative, where R5 is a photo camera that can take video, here we have the opposite.
To bad, although it is a decent product. For me the R3 is still a better hybrid solution.

I think canon is just not aware of a market segment of people doing both video and photo basically at the same time, switching from one to another during the shoot. a
But all ogether this is a great video camera, if they sacrificed the ibis for the ND I would straight away order one, but considering it has micro HDMI and no IBIS and no ND... will have to really think if this is a good buy.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As someone evaluating the R5 for stills + a _little_ bit of video (80% stills/20% video or so), I decided to wait on the R5 C just to see if the extra video features would sweeten the pot. Three points convinced me that for my use case, the R5 will be ideal:

1. Lack of IBIS
  2. The camera just got a _lot_ bigger in back
  3. $500 more for features that _I_ won't need (of course, YMMV)

Upvote 0
If Canon implemented/fixed all of the little nit-picks people have with the R5C it would have been more expensive.

seems like a fair price for once, the output quality will be almost impossible to beat for this price… that’s what matters most.

not a bad effort!
I would gladly pay 500$-700$ more for ibis or ND, full hdmi and a solution where you don't turn off camera when switching from mode to mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0