Canon officially announces the long rumored RF mount Cinema Prime Lens set

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
An RF mount set of Cinema Prime lenses has been rumored since 2021, and they have finally been officially announced. With this announcement, we also expect to see some new Cinema EOS cameras coming in the near future. MELVILLE, N.Y., September 12, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today the introduction of

See full article...

Jul 21, 2010
The seven Canon CN-R lenses, with focal lengths and T stops of 14mm T3.1, 20mm T1.5, 24mm T1.5, 35mm T1.5, 50mm T1.3, 85mm T1.3, and 135mm T2.2, are compatible with the two existing RF-Mount Canon Cinema Cameras, the EOS C70 and EOS R5 C.
Canon doesn't mention it, but presumably they're also compatible with the Red RF mount cameras.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon doesn't mention it, but presumably they're also compatible with the Red RF mount cameras.
One would think so.

So now... RF mount cinema cameras? The whole Cinema EOS lineup was buggered up by the bad times over the last bunch of years.

I am a terrible video shooter, and I have never used a Cinema lens... but I might get ONE of these and see if I can see the difference. Then probably sell it because it's well beyond me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Damn. I was hoping for the super fast ones that were rumored. And still no 100mm. These seem to be the same as the CN-E primes, just with RF mounts. I’d rather have the EF mount ones so i can pair them with the canon speedbooster. These are good for the R5C I guess… bummer.

I'm glad they not based off the Sumire set, half the price this way. There likely isn't a business reason to make the Sumire set RF since they likely get mounted to PL cameras.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Damn. I was hoping for the super fast ones that were rumored. And still no 100mm. These seem to be the same as the CN-E primes, just with RF mounts. I’d rather have the EF mount ones so i can pair them with the canon speedbooster. These are good for the R5C I guess… bummer.
You might be right - I noticed the both have 11 blades, but I hope they updated the elements. Aren't the old designs about 10 years old?

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
So do these 7 lenses cover the “a lot” of lenses rumored until March? Would this suggest actually very few new RF non-cinema lenses coming out in that timeframe?
We got this rumors August 23rd that initially seemed promising…

There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024​

And is it likely that one or more of the rumored bodies to have a stacked sensor is actually a cinema body?

I am happy for the cinema crowd to be getting their long-anticipated gear. As a stills shooter I would have preferred other lenses, but that’s ok! Patience!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
So do these 7 lenses cover the “a lot” of lenses rumored until March? Would this suggest actually very few new RF non-cinema lenses coming out in that timeframe?
We got this rumors August 23rd that initially seemed promising…

There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024​

And is it likely that one or more of the rumored bodies to have a stacked sensor is actually a cinema body?

I am happy for the cinema crowd to be getting their long-anticipated gear. As a stills shooter I would have preferred other lenses, but that’s ok! Patience!
No, Cinema EOS rumors are a lot harder to come by and I generally don't count that lineup when I write about lenses.

This announcement is for IBC, which begins on Friday. Signs point to an RF mount announcement later this month.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No, Cinema EOS rumors are a lot harder to come by and I generally don't count that lineup when I write about lenses.
The question is, does Canon? "We plan to release approximately 8 RF lenses per year." 7 cinema RF lenses and boom, they're done!

I'm being facetious, of course. They said RF lenses and these are CN-R.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

This announcement is for IBC, which begins on Friday. Signs point to an RF mount announcement later this month.
That's great! Thanks for the reply! There is still hope for the 200-500's release!!!

Upvote 0
I’d love it if canon would release seven f1.4 prime lenses for Rf Mount all at once never gonna happen, but imagine having

- 20mm F1.4
- 24mm F1.4
- 28mm F1.4 (for CR guy)
- 35mm F1.4
- 50mm F1.4
- 85 mm F1.4

All the sudden becoming available all at the same time :)

Apparently, six would do (because 14mm F1.4 would be a whole different lens and doesn’t fit the lineup). so, common Canon

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com

So I can still hope for the RF 35mm f/1.2L, right? Please say so :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why are these lenses all the same size... and if you look at the photoside of this the dimensions are quite different.... sure the L vs non L i can understand... but look at these new ones.... it IS possible to get similar sizes.... would be so nice.
They're all the same size because that's what is needed for cinema lenses. For example, having the same size lenses enables easy compatibility with geared follow focus accessories.

For stills, you typically have a camera and a lens and maybe a flash. Having different size lenses is not problematic, and if a lens could be smaller would you really want it to be bigger and heavier than necessary? For cinema, the lens is only one small part of a large rig, and having lenses all the same size means less work to change them out in that rig.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.19.44 PM.png

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I’d love it if canon would release seven f1.4 prime lenses for Rf Mount all at once never gonna happen, but imagine having

- 20mm F1.4
- 24mm F1.4
- 28mm F1.4 (for CR guy)
- 35mm F1.4
- 50mm F1.4
- 85 mm F1.4

All the sudden becoming available all at the same time :)

Apparently, six would do (because 14mm F1.4 would be a whole different lens and doesn’t fit the lineup). so, common Canon
Imagine they are the same prices as the Cinema line too....

• Haha
Upvote 0