Canon announces the Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L IS STM

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
For the RF 14-35mm, the uncorrected FoV is slightly less than 13mm. The distortion correction reduces the FoV, but because the image is 'stretched out' (after being 'squished' by the distortion), not through cropping. Having said that, there is some cropping at the sides to keep the 3:2 aspect ratio, because there's more stretching on the longer axis of the image, resulting in an EOS R output that's 305 pixels (4.5%) wider than the native 6720 pixels, and those extra pixels cropped away by Canon/Adobe (but optionally not by DxO) to keep the 3:2 ratio and native output dimensions.

All of those details (and more) are included in my tests of the 14-35 at the wide end:

Simple explanation for the cropping in the article you link. "Supreme Court of Ohio – Distortion Corrected and perspective corrected," then, "The uncorrected image is also a fair bit wider than 14mm, with the field of view reduced a little when correcting the distortion, however, natively it’s not quite as dramatic as shown in the second image, as this also was perspective corrected for keystoning, further reducing the angle of view."

Unlike the site you link, in my tests I ensured that the camera was level and orthogonal to the building to avoid vertical and horizontal distortions. Perspective correction can result in substantial cropping, depending on the amount applied. Here's a rather extreme example of that, taken with the RF 14-35/4 @ 14mm as I walked past the Parthenon in Rome.

Perspective corrected shot:
View attachment 212206

Original shot:
View attachment 212203

Perspective correction step (force-rectangle in DxO), showing how much cropping is needed after the keystoning is corrected:
View attachment 212205

One more point regarding focal lengths. Even though the 14-35/4 gives an uncorrected FoV equivalent to ~13mm, the actual focal length is still 14mm (slightly longer, since Canon always rounds in their favor). Consider that the diagonal AoV of the RF 15-35/2.8 at the 15mm is 110°, while the diagonal AoV of the EF 15/2.8 fisheye is 180°. Both are 15mm, but the first is neatly rectilinear (distortion mostly corrected optically), while the fisheye isn’t corrected (circular projection, massive ‘black corners’). Think of the RF lenses requiring distortion correction as one step down the path from rectilinear to fisheye.
Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
I own the wonderful Canon 11-24 and the Sigma 12-24. I bought the Canon almost immediately after announcement and haven't looked back. I bought the Sigma because I keep a second set for backup and didn't want to pay for another Canon. It is only 1 of 2 non-Canon lenses I own. The Sigma is actually pretty good and had I known how good it was I might have never bought the Canon if I had bought that first. With that being said, the Canon 11-24 is an amazing lens and I own both adapters (ND and CPL) for it and have used them both for some very creative shots. The IS on the 10-20 is a nice addition, but the IBIS on the R5 is pretty great with the old EF lenses. I do think there is quite a bit of value to using the adapter, but the size and weight of the 10-20 was what convinced me to pre-order it. I'm sure it will not replace the 11-24 for some uses, but as I age the more weight matters. I remember days of hauling my 500 f/4 up mountains. Those days are unfortunately gone.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do think there is quite a bit of value to using the adapter, but the size and weight of the 10-20 was what convinced me to pre-order it. I'm sure it will not replace the 11-24 for some uses, but as I age the more weight matters. I remember days of hauling my 500 f/4 up mountains. Those days are unfortunately gone.....
I still haul my 600/4 II around and use it handheld. While not tempted sufficiently to pre-order the 10-20/4, I suspect I'll end up buying it at some point. Like you, I find the easy ability to put filters behind my 11-24 (and my TS-E 17) a big benefit of adapting them to mirrorless. But next summer I'll be hiking in the Alps, and for that the lower weight of the 10-20 compared to the 11-24 will be a benefit.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Kodak makes a wide range of gels, mostly for color correction, not really needed for a digital camera. NDs are the ones you’ll probably want to use, but they also have them for IR.

Thanks, Neuro. I went ahead and ordered the 10-stop gel, the one I'd use most for water and clouds. I'd really like the long exposure option when going to the seashore. Even if my lens doesn't make it in the first shipment, having the gel on hand will mean no delay heading to the beach whenever the lens arrives!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks, Neuro. I went ahead and ordered the 10-stop gel, the one I'd use most for water and clouds. I'd really like the long exposure option when going to the seashore. Even if my lens doesn't make it in the first shipment, having the gel on hand will mean no delay heading to the beach whenever the lens arrives!
Enjoy! In case you need it, here's the template I used. I don't recall the source for attribution (I downloaded it several years ago), but I used it to cut the 10-stop gel that I use with my EF 11-24/4 and it fits perfectly.

Attachments

• Canon Lens Gelatin Template.pdf
    776.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If I hadn't bought the RF 14-35mm F4 a year or two ago, I would've preordered asap today. It looks like a really nice lens and the fact it is just 570 gr (still can't believe it) and it cheaper than its EF equivalent is really, really, really tempting, but spending money for just 4mm wider shots is just not happening. Furthermore, my decision nausea would hit new levels (RF 14-35mm or 10-20mm??????) especially for city travels :)

Enjoy the lens! :)
Well, the difference between 14mm and 10mm is kinda huge. I know we look at that and think, "It's just 4mm." but, at the wide end, it's huge.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Enjoy! In case you need it, here's the template I used. I don't recall the source for attribution (I downloaded it several years ago), but I used it to cut the 10-stop gel that I use with my EF 11-24/4 and it fits perfectly.
I went to the Canon USA website to look at the user manual. When I clicked on the Support Page link for the manual, this came up! https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/rf10-20mm-f4-l-is-stm

Note that the link here (as of 10/13/23) which says, "RF 28mm F2.8 STM" is just mislabled. It is the link to a pdf with the 10-20mm manual.

I'm not sure with the templates how to determine the print size, as they are huge by default. At least Canon has put the measurements on the top, so it won't take to many trial prints to get there. I hope.

Or I could just ask my daughter to use a ruler and pencil for me. :)

Again, thank you for putting me on the right track with this.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I went to the Canon USA website to look at the user manual. When I clicked on the Support Page link for the manual, this came up! https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/rf10-20mm-f4-l-is-stm

Note that the link here (as of 10/13/23) which says, "RF 28mm F2.8 STM" is just mislabled. It is the link to a pdf with the 10-20mm manual.

I'm not sure with the templates how to determine the print size, as they are huge by default. At least Canon has put the measurements on the top, so it won't take to many trial prints to get there. I hope.

Or I could just ask my daughter to use a ruler and pencil for me. :)

Again, thank you for putting me on the right track with this.
Thanks, good to know the size is different, in the event I decide to buy the RF 10-20. I still have some pristine pieces of 10 ND gel.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It seems like the R5's 1.9.0 firmware already included peripheral IS for compatible lenses (10-20). Although the date on the website changed, checksumming reveals though, that the firmware did not change.
That’s good to hear, Canon used to be waaaaaay in front of new hardware with firmware support, but for RF they tended to behind.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It seems like the R5's 1.9.0 firmware already included peripheral IS for compatible lenses (10-20). Although the date on the website changed, checksumming reveals though, that the firmware did not change.

Firmware Notice: EOS R5 Firmware Version 1.9.0​

Firmware Version 1.9.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
  1. Adds support for the "Peripheral Coordinated Control.” Peripheral Coordinated Control is now always performed when a compatible lens is attached (there is no need to set it on the menu screen).
    * Peripheral Coordinated Control is a function that reduces changes in distortion around the periphery of the image caused by camera shake, which tends to occur with wide-angle lenses.
  2. Adds the ability to erase voice memos added to images and to add voice memos to protected images.
  3. Adds enhanced security when transferring images via FTPS transfer.
  4. Adds support for the Software Development Assistance Kit (EDSDK/CCAPI).
  5. Fixes an issue, in which, after touchscreen operation, in rare circumstances, the camera operations cannot be performed, and even if the camera is operated, [BUSY] appears on the screen.
  6. Fixes minor issues.
I hope the other wide-angle lenses get firmware updates so that we do not have to buy all new lenses.
I would buy the 10-20 f/4 over the 14-35 f/4 anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
STM! Wow!
An L lens with STM. I really couldn't believe it when I read it.
Will be interesting what RL reviews tell about the AF performance...
Why does it matter if it's STM or USM or XYZ? I'm pretty sure Canon won't allow a modern L lens to have slow or inaccurate AF. They simply choose the best AF motor for a specific lens. Maybe STM was chosen because of the small size, while being fast enough.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Why does it matter if it's STM or USM or XYZ?
Up until now, my personal experience is that USM is the fastest and most silent AF motor, esp. the new linear nano USM Canon is using lately.
STM is okay, but not as performant as USM.
That's why it would matter to me, if I was in the market for that lens.
And I surely would try out the AF performance of that, if I wanted to buy it before I'd do so.
YMMV.
I'm pretty sure Canon won't allow a modern L lens to have slow or inaccurate AF. They simply choose the best AF motor for a specific lens. Maybe STM was chosen because of the small size, while being fast enough.
I didn't find any logical reason for that choice in a quick search.
So the logic to me is: Canon can save money while the performance stays acceptable/good in their eyes.
(But maybe it could be better with USM, which is something we will never know, as only Canon could have done side by side tests with this lens)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Up until now, my personal experience is that USM is the fastest and most silent AF motor, esp. the new linear nano USM Canon is using lately.
STM is okay, but not as performant as USM.
That's why it would matter to me, if I was in the market for that lens.
And I surely would try out the AF performance of that, if I wanted to buy it before I'd do so.
YMMV.

I didn't find any logical reason for that choice in a quick search.
So the logic to me is: Canon can save money while the performance stays acceptable/good in their eyes.
(But maybe it could be better with USM, which is something we will never know, as only Canon could have done side by side tests with this lens)
Canon stated that it was for the size.
At 10-20 f/4 STM should be more than fast enough.
Nikon uses dual STM on some telephoto S lenses.

Upvote 0